So this is what I decided to do:

1- put aside about $250/month for the next 5 months

2- sell the JCA 100/50 and keep the 2210

3- find used Soldano SLO

4- ???????

5- profit

Good plan?

Yep, great plan :thu:

I think the SLO is rock solid, consistent and sounds great live. It does have its own sound though, and isn't quite a marshall voicing, it's its own thing, IMO. I find the clean channel and crunch channel mode a little one-dimensional but the lead channel is a classic and nothing else Soldano makes sounds like the lead channel of an SLO despite what they may say. So keeping the 2210 solves any possible downsides to the SLO, IMO. It definitely sounds it's best cranked up a bit, but by the sounds of things, that's not going to be a problem for you :lol::thu:

• Members

Yep, great plan
:thu:

I think the SLO is rock solid, consistent and sounds great live.
It does have its own sound though, and isn't quite a marshall voicing, it's its own thing, IM
O. I find the clean channel and crunch channel mode a little one-dimensional but the lead channel is a classic and nothing else Soldano makes sounds like the lead channel of an SLO despite what they may say.
So keeping the 2210 solves any possible downsides to the SLO, IMO
. It definitely sounds it's best cranked up a bit, but by the sounds of things, that's not going to be a problem for you
:lol::thu:

Exactly what I am thinking. :thu:

• Members

It's an expensive habit, but for me I usually just have to go for it and see how it all shakes out. How mapz are for you guys, basses are for us it seems, so that's why I've had only God knows how many instruments since about 2001 and have literally bought or had made any and everything I've really wanted, and you always come back to what makes you the most happy. I dunno if you've ever had the SLO to know if it's "The One" but thankfully, if/when something just is It for you, you know instantly. :thu:

• Members

It's an expensive habit, but for me I usually just have to go for it and see how it all shakes out. How mapz are for you guys, basses are for us it seems, so that's why I've had only God knows how many instruments since about 2001 and have literally bought or had made any and everything I've really wanted, and you always come back to what makes you the most happy. I dunno if you've ever had the SLO to know if it's "The One" but thankfully, if/when something just is
It
for you, you know instantly.

I never owned one, but I played through them many times. Never had a chance to play through one with my band though, every time I played one I was either trying out a friend's rig or at a store. They do sound :love: though.

I've owned a HR100+ and I really liked it, but it sounded exactly like the JCA100 I have now so it'd be either the SLO or the JCA.

• Members

If you think you will be completely happy with the amp and that it will be your last amp in a long time, I would say pull the trigger. We all know what the SLO is capable of, and that is great tone.

If you think even for a second that it might not meet all of your needs, skip it. That is a lot of money to have tied up in an amp. Also, you should consider whether or not you want/need a backup amp.

• Members

Do it. My only recommendation would be make sure it has the depth mod if you play more modern stuff. You can get it done for cheap if it doesn't have it. I have played a few without the mod and it just doesn't hit on the bottom end without it.

Soldano tone kicks ass. I have had 3 and I miss them. I will own an SLO one day.......then my life will be complete. :)

• Members

In one way,

If you get the be all and end all of maps, which an SLO basically is, then if you ever decide that it's crap, at least you know it's you and not the amp.

:lol:

Like, there isn't really much after an SLO. If you can't make one of those work then, yeah....

• Members

In one way,

If you get the be all and end all of maps, which an SLO basically is, then if you ever decide that it's crap, at least you know it's you and not the amp.

:lol:

Like, there isn't really much after an SLO. If you can't make one of those work then, yeah....

lolwat... I'm making the $500 JCA work really well for me. Actually, it's working so well I wonder if it's even worth to spend more money on gear. Must be me, not the amp :rolleyes:

I have no questions whether or not I can "make the SLO work". The question is if it's worth the upgrade since I am really happy with my tone at the moment.

• Members
lolwat... I'm making the $500 JCA work really well for me. Actually, it's working so well I wonder if it's even worth to spend more money on gear. Must be me, not the amp
:rolleyes:

I have no questions whether or not I can "make the SLO work". The question is if it's worth the upgrade since I am really happy with my tone at the moment.

Since your {censored} is working now I would not make the upgrade. SAVE the cash and in a while you will be able to buy the SLO outright. I know it is a lot of cash to save. But you can do it. You will be much happier having all of that gear than getting rid of your {censored} to buy that amp.

• Members

Since your {censored} is working now I would not make the upgrade. SAVE the cash and in a while you will be able to buy the SLO outright. I know it is a lot of cash to save. But you can do it. You will be much happier having all of that gear than getting rid of your {censored} to buy that amp.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do, at least save enough so I can get the SLO without having to sell the Marshall. I don't mind selling the JCAs for the SLO because it's the same core tone, only better so it's a safe upgrade. But there are times when I need a Marshall tone and nothing better than a real Marshall for that. :)

• Members

Best advice I can give...Keep your amps..Take the $500 that you would spend on the SLO and buy your boy something awesome. From one father to another that's some great advice...But I know how badly that {censored} burns a hole in your pocket.

• Members

billy get the SLO

you wont be happy unless

you get the damn SLO

I will. But I think it's best to save up for it so I can at least keep the 2210. I know I am going to miss that amp if I sell it, even though I don't use it with the band now, there is nothing like plugging into a Marshall and getting that classic tone. It's not an easy amp to replace either especially at the price I got it ($675).

• Members

get it NOW!!!!
you know the 2210 will eventually go, thats for sure... but if you really like the JCA thing get the SLO, i wanted to buy a jca but i had a chance hear both side by side, they both do the same thing but the SLO has the MAGIC that makes the JCA sound fake next to it, if you love your JCA and you know its your thing, get the king of the castle the supa-lead-overdrive-a!! :thu:

• Members

I will. But I think it's best to save up for it so I can at least keep the 2210. I know I am going to miss that amp if I sell it, even though I don't use it with the band now, there is nothing like plugging into a Marshall and getting that classic tone. It's not an easy amp to replace either especially at the price I got it ($675).

This is a good plan

good to plan these things out and

save for awesome amp

• Members

get it NOW!!!!

you know the 2210 will eventually go, thats for sure... but if you really like the JCA thing get the SLO, i wanted to buy a jca but i had a chance hear both side by side, they both do the same thing but the SLO has the MAGIC that makes the JCA sound fake next to it, if you love your JCA and you know its your thing, get the king of the castle the supa-lead-overdrive-a!!

I think the 2210 would only go if it's to be replaced it with another Marshall or Marshall-style amp. I love the Marshall tone and I really miss it when I don't have at least one amp that can do it. The thing is, I don't know any other Marshall amp I'd like it better than the 2210. It's pretty much the classic 800 tone with the convenience of a clean channel, fx loop and reverb. It's really hard to beat.

I agree the SLO is better than the JCA but the JCA is not fake sounding at all. It should hold up well for the few months I need to plan this purchase.

Archived