Should I do it?

guitarbilly74

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the 2210 would only go if it's to be replaced it with another Marshall or Marshall-style amp. I love the Marshall tone and I really miss it when I don't have at least one amp that can do it. The thing is, I don't know any other Marshall amp I'd like it better than the 2210. It's pretty much the classic 800 tone with the convenience of a clean channel, fx loop and reverb. It's really hard to beat.

I agree the SLO is better than the JCA but the JCA is not fake sounding at all. It should hold up well for the few months I need to plan this purchase.

actually its a real nice amp the JCA i must say, not fake sounding AT ALL next to many amps, just NEXT to the SLO it is fake sounding, to me at least it was, a lot!

• Members

actually its a real nice amp the JCA i must say, not fake sounding AT ALL next to many amps, just NEXT to the SLO it is fake sounding, to me at least it was, a lot!

I was actually surprised how close it can get considering it's $600 new vs. $3700 new. Of course it's not as good, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison. But basically the same basic voicing IMHO.

• Members

I was actually surprised how close it can get considering it's $600 new vs. $3700 new. Of course it's not as good, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison. But basically the same basic voicing IMHO.

yep, exact same voicing, you are definitely right about that, but not feel, the SLO its a lot more alive

once you get it and get rid of the JCA's ill be reading your posts about how better it is, i already pictured it.

• Members

You gotta take your shot man, there's no use to resist, .....thank me later. You will kick your old amps to the curb.
:rawk:

Yeah I will do it. I just have to plan it right. I don't think the SLO would replace the 2210 for raw Marshall tones. The Soldano tone is great, my favorite, but it doesn't sound like a Marshall, which I also love. So I think if I can plan this in a way I can keep both, I will be all set. :)

• Members

Yeah I will do it. I just have to plan it right. I don't think the SLO would replace the 2210 for raw Marshall tones. The Soldano tone is great, my favorite, but it doesn't sound like a Marshall, which I also love. So I think if I can plan this in a way I can keep both, I will be all set.
:)

You're 100% right IMO, if you want raw marshall 800 type tones, the SLO isn't going to do it IMO. What the SLO does, no other amp can totally cop though. Stick with the plan :cop::D

• Members
Yeah I will do it. I just have to plan it right. I don't think the SLO would replace the 2210 for raw Marshall tones. The Soldano tone is great, my favorite, but it doesn't sound like a Marshall, which I also love. So I think if I can plan this in a way I can keep both, I will be all set.
:)

That's how i'd do it.......can't wait for klips.:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

i dont really think the marshall its a must, but also knowing how we are(lets be honest) youll sell that marshall eventually, marshall amps are replaceable with other brands that do their same thing, sometimes even better, but nothing does the SLO thing, only the JCA, close enough. but over all good luck :thu:

• Members
In one way,

If you get the be all and end all of maps, which an SLO basically is, then if you ever decide that it's crap, at least you know it's you and not the amp.

:lol:

Like, there isn't really much after an SLO. If you can't make one of those work then, yeah....

Gary Moore thought so too and then went back to the Hot Rod didn't he?

• Members

Gary Moore thought so too and then went back to the Hot Rod didn't he?

This is true. Gary Moore preferred the HR to the SLO, and the HR and the JCA are identical. Moore is (was :cry: ) one of my favorite players and a tone master, so that's something to think about.

• Members

I will. But I think it's best to save up for it so I can at least keep the 2210. I know I am going to miss that amp if I sell it, even though I don't use it with the band now, there is nothing like plugging into a Marshall and getting that classic tone. It's not an easy amp to replace either especially at the price I got it ($675).

Price (675$) which can be made into solid profit to get the SLO sooner though. You can always keep the 50 for spare or off it later on if the SLO makes it redundant.

I'd off it. Nothing is irreplaceable. Especially marshall amps. (sorry. I forget I am in europe...) Only your old mark III!

I'd also see if I could make an SLO clone for the right price but this would leave your curiosity intact...By the way, aren't SLOs shipping with O-netics transformers instead of DeYoung nowadays?

I remember reading about this and more or less robs them of the exclusivety.

You could always try "hot rodding" (he he) the JCA with a pair of O-netics and the depth mod + better filtering anyway. I remember reading from Jet city doug that o-netics did nothing more compared to the upgraded transformers of the HDM 100. You also found the HDM thinner (brighter?) clearer more articulate which should translate as a difference between the SLO and its siblings.

What are you expecting from the SLO exactly?

• Members

Price (675$) which can be made into solid profit to get the SLO sooner though. You can always keep the 50 for spare or off it later on if the SLO makes it redundant.

I'd off it. Nothing is irreplaceable. Especially marshall amps. (sorry. I forget I am in europe...) Only your old mark III!

I'd also see if I could make an SLO clone for the right price but this would leave your curiosity intact...By the way, aren't SLOs shipping with O-netics transformers instead of DeYoung nowadays?

I remember reading about this and more or less robs them of the exclusivety.

You could always try "hot rodding" (he he) the JCA with a pair of O-netics and the depth mod + better filtering anyway. I remember reading from Jet city doug that o-netics did nothing more compared to the upgraded transformers of the HDM 100. You also found the HDM thinner (brighter?) clearer more articulate which should translate as a difference between the SLO and its siblings.

What are you expecting from the SLO exactly?

That's the thing, I am not even sure. I guess I am expecting "better" tone, but if you ask me what would I like to change on my current tone... probably nothing, to be honest.

GAS is a bitch, that's for sure.

Archived