Should I do it?

guitarbilly74

• Members

I've been thinking about selling all my amps and buying a SLO.

Pros:

It's the SLO. Enough said.

Probably the last amp I will ever need.

Cons:

I will still probably need to add some $ on top of it even after selling all my amps

I really have no complaints about my current rig, very happy with the JCAs and the Marshall

:confused:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If its what you want, and you can do it, then {censored}ing do it man!! I was totally happy with my 6505+, but the Mako was like that for me. I got the Mako lol. had to add cash for the preamp alone, then the rack case, power amp.... Based on wait times, though, if you can do it, buy the SLO first, then sell your maps.

• Members

Cons:

I will still probably need to add some $ on top of it even after selling all my amps

I really have no complaints about my current rig, very happy with the JCAs and the Marshall

If it's worth it to you, absolutely. But if you're already happy with what you have, why change? Also, to the red and bolded:

Your past amp whorism suggests otherwise. :lol:

• Members

If its what you want, and you can do it, then {censored}ing do it man!! I was totally happy with my 6505+, but the Mako was like that for me. I got the Mako lol. had to add cash for the preamp alone, then the rack case, power amp.... Based on wait times, though, if you can do it, buy the SLO first, then sell your maps.

No way I can buy it before selling my amps, I just don't have that kind of money. I'd be buying it used though so no wait time. It has a lifetime transferable warranty anyway, so it makes no sense buying a new one.

• Members

If you like what you have then stick with it. If you are anything like me with gear (even though you love the SLO) you will get tired of it after a while. If anything just save the cash and purchase the amp without getting rid of your old gear. I just really hate getting rid of gear because I always manage to miss it later on.

• Members

awesome amp, but will you need to budget for an attenuator as well?

I have a Weber attenuator, but I rarely use it. My band is really loud, I currently have my JCA at 7 on band practices. That's pretty much maxed out, only more power amp distortion past that point.

• Members

Right, used wouldnt be a problem. Man, {censored} any one that tells you not to get it because you are happy with what you have. If you are considering something else, then you arent truly happy with what you have, so just {censored}ing do it.

/mapwhoreenabler

• Members

If you like what you have then stick with it. If you are anything like me with gear (even though you love the SLO) you will get tired of it after a while. If anything just save the cash and purchase the amp without getting rid of your old gear. I just really hate getting rid of gear because I always manage to miss it later on.

I think I'm pretty set on the Soldano tone. I'm actually 100% happy with the JCAs but I know a SLO would be considerably better.

There is one on eBay right now with a initial bid of $2400 with the cab, local pickup here in L.A. I bet I can convince him to sell me the head only for $2000. I think I can get a total of $1500 for all my amps, so I would have to add about $500, and I would only have one amp instead of 3. Decisions, decisions.... :confused:

• Members

I have a Weber attenuator, but I rarely use it. My band is really loud, I currently have my JCA at 7 on band practices. That's pretty much maxed out, only more power amp distortion past that point.

ahhh, use the monies for ear protection then, tinnitus ftmfl :o

• Members

I've been thinking about selling all my amps and buying a SLO.

Pros:

It's the SLO. Enough said.

Probably
the last amp I will ever need.

Cons:

the words of an addict. notice the justification in selling everything off b/c this is the last amp ever needed, but left plenty of wiggle room in "probably", just in case.

• Members

If you're 100% certain in your heart that a SLO is THE amp for you, the one ring to rule them all so to speak, do it.

I'd rather have just one amp that I'm head over heels in love with than have three or four amps that you're just happy with. Anyway, if you decide that the SLO is not all it's hyped up to be, you shouldn't have a problem selling it.

• Members

I'd say do it, considering you know what sound you're after, amp-wise. There's always someone at the LA, or OC, craigslist selling those.

If you can sell off your amps, DO IT! I've only tried an SLO once with a Tele '72 Deluxe and I've played everything I can from both channels, and it's just a joy to hear what it can do.

Archived