Should I do it?

guitarbilly74

• Members

I can buy that knuckle, but are you saying different components will have no affect on the final outcome of an amp ?

even if the PCB were identical, which they are not, would different brand of components sound the same ?

the PCB layout is right next to inconsequential, so split vs shared doesn't really matter.

i can't say that different brands of components don't matter, because they do, but if the types are the same (i.e. metal film resistors vs carbon film, polyester vs polystyrene caps) there's not going to be a drastic difference. there's a lot of snake oil out there about components. component brand differences (assuming the type is the same) won't make nearly as much of a difference as speakers do, if that tells you how much of a tonal difference there is.

the reason brand matters is that the type of cap is often associated with the brand, like sprague (orange drop) vs mallory film caps.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Simple sollution.

You rent an SLO for some days or a gig or something. You try/push the head side by side with the JCA on rehearsal. You did say you want to put some money aside for that anyway. I don't know if a friend of yours has got an SLO or something that would simplify things.

I always try to test drive as many gear as I can on gigs though, loud gigs. That is what they were made for as far as I am concerned. For such an expensive amp if you can rent it, then why not, assuming it is on a good working order.

Comparison with the JCA will automatically tell you wether there is a difference through your cab, if it is worth the hassle, the marshall boot and the extra cost, or not. Even if a difference exists, it may be compensated by adjustments on the settings for the overall sound which you prefer from the amps or whatever. They don't have to sound 100% alike with the knobs set the same way (a different taper may ruin that anyway) but the sound you take out of them may end up being the same. Remember the 6505 vs SLO vid on youtube. {censored} if the SLO sounded better, it didn't. Minor differences. Of course they weren't set up for brootal sound or smooth rock sound or whatever.

I mean on their own the SLO may sound better in some parts? But if these differences are eliminated in a band mix who the {censored} cares, remember what you are saying for the hot rod vs JCA come to think of it. Those amps aren't made for bedroom metal in the first place.

OR

Buy an o-netics kit of transformers, try and find filter caps and what resistors you need to change your JCA to SLO specs and you still would be less than 1000$ I suspect for the whole amp? That is half of a used SLO. I don't know if it will give you 99% indistinguishable SLO tone/vibe but yours would be at least as good as an SLO clone like the ones on the known forum.

Archived