One dirt tone for entire gig?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

are you serious?

what about your tone knob, your volume knob, your pickup selector, your fingers, your pick attack?

if you can't get more than one tone out of your guitar just by using what you got... you gots bigger fishes to fry.

besides-- why would it be 'fatiguing' unless it's just awful sounding to begin with?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Use whatever works with your music. Maybe that'll be one tone for the entire gig, maybe two or three, maybe you'll want hundreds of subtly different sounds at your feet... all are valid, as long as you're making good music with them.

• Members

This is only the kind of question you'd get from someone who sits and thinks about gear for too long.

Seriously, no one gives a {censored} about your tone except for you and other guitar nerds. How many bands plug in that 5150 and all they do is change pickups and kick on a wah here and there for an entire 1-2 hour set? At most you need 3 tones - clean/crunch/lead. 2 is more than enough for most, and many are cool with one.

Sorry if I sound hostile - I just thought this was an assinine question.

Says the guy on HCAF. :o

• Members

Man. Lots of fail.

News flash:

SONGS are what's important.

I've done every single one of my (probably over 500+ gigs) with one amp at a time. No flashy {censored}, just an amp, small pedal board with delay and wah and boost mostly, but the amp's tone is what does me for the whole night.

The way you approach what you are playing, your picking, dynamics, volume knob, tone control, pickups, they WAY you play has a greater overall effect on the tone.

I can get 100 different tones and textures out of a guitar. I don't need an amp with 10 channels and I have never thought that I do need an amp with 10 channels. No one has ever said I do either.

• Members

I barely even switch guitars live, let alone multiple dirt pedals. I usually use guitar -> tuner -> cleanish boost -> Dirt pedal (if I'm using NMV Fender) -> delay -> amp

I used 3 dirt pedals for one show, and it pissed me off to no end. always hitting the wrong damn pedal.

what's the reason for having 20 different options for distortion tone? Seems like it would just make your set seem incoherent.

For the past couple of years I just turn on my Swollen pickle at the start of the set, and use my guitar volume for clean -> full on fuzz. Don't even really touch my pedal board anymore aside from tuning and delay.

• Members

FWIW, even when I have 5 dirt pedals on the board, I end up staying on one or two for the most part.

Versatile dirt that tickles my fancy: (I could survive a gig if I could only use one of these 4 pedals)

SmallSound/BigSound {censored} Overdrive

Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom

Proco 85' Reissue Rat

Barber Dirty Bomb

• Members

Is it fatiguing on the ear to have one clean and one dirty sound for entire gig?

Either a 45 min set or a full 3 set all night gig?

No, that's exactly what I do. I have one clean tone with a touch of chorus that I use for all the clean parts and one overdrive tone for the heavy rhythm parts and leads. I do use a boost on some solos and sometimes kick in the reverb on the leads as well, but that's a very subtle change.

• Members

Man. Lots of fail.

News flash:

SONGS are what's important.

I've done every single one of my (probably over 500+ gigs) with one amp at a time. No flashy {censored}, just an amp, small pedal board with delay and wah and boost mostly, but the amp's tone is what does me for the whole night.

The way you approach what you are playing, your picking, dynamics, volume knob, tone control, pickups, they WAY you play has a greater overall effect on the tone.

I can get 100 different tones and textures out of a guitar. I don't need an amp with 10 channels and I have never thought that I do need an amp with 10 channels. No one has ever said I do either.

What's with the "I'm the big {censored}" attitude in all your posts? Are you unable to answer a question without saying how badass you (think) you are?

Speaking of songs being the most important, I don't think you ever posted a single song here, just a bunch of videos of bedroom shredding, which of course, most 15 years old on youtube can also do.

Anyway, tone it down a bit... it's {censored}ing annoying, dude

• Members

What's with the "I'm the big {censored}" attitude in all your posts? Are you unable to answer a question without saying how badass you (think) you are?

Speaking of songs being the most important, I don't think you ever posted a single song here, just a bunch of videos of bedroom shredding, which of course, most 15 years old on youtube can also do.

Anyway, tone it down a bit... it's {censored}ing annoying, dude

lol...he tours all over, is a bigshot studio engineer, and still has time to post 100 times a day on HCAF.

Archived