So what are the disadvantages of locking tuners?

grunge782

• Members

I'm not talking about a floyd setup, just normal locking tuners. This should become the standard IMO, it makes things much easier for string changes and tuning stability. All of my guitars I've changed to locking tuners and I haven't noticed any disadvantages to using them...Am I missing something here :idk:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use Sperzel, and they are great except for their 12:1 tuning ratio.. They must do it for a reason, but that ratio can be a bit hard to get perfecT on the first try.. Many times if I'm just a touch flaT and I barely tweak the knob, its gone sharp.. Them I have to retune and sometimes I'll have to stretch the string to get a new starting point because at times I just can not get it to get the perfect pitch.. Otherwise, the quickness of string changes and stability is impossible to argue against.. I would say I could change all 6 in under 5 minutes..

• Members

I have Schaller which IMO are better than Sperzels because they seem to be built better and the locking ring is much beefier and easier to turn. Some say Schallers are too heavy. They are quite heavy, but I really have not noticed any difference at all on my LP. I guess you could even argue that the extra metal would increase sustain.

In any event, love them and will have them on all my guitars. I see no disadvantage.

• Members

Sperzels:

- Uncomfortable locking knob in the back, they hurt my fingers when turning because they had so sharp ridges on them

- Low gear ratio (not as accurate for fine tuning)

Schaller

- A bit heavier than normal, probably not enough to affect the balance of the guitar tho

- That stupid locking knob

Gotoh Magnum Lock

- None, these are IMO the best on the market. They look like regular tuners, the locking mechanism is easy to open (though you need a coin or screwdriver on hand) and has no locking knobs in the back

• Members

I use Sperzel, and they are great except for their
12:1
tuning ratio.. They must do it for a reason, but that ratio can be a bit hard to get perfecT on the first try.. Many times if I'm just a touch flaT and I barely tweak the knob, its gone sharp.. Them I have to retune and sometimes I'll have to stretch the string to get a new starting point because at times I just can not get it to get the perfect pitch.. Otherwise, the quickness of string changes and stability is impossible to argue against.. I would say I could change all 6 in under 5 minutes..

Hmm I wasn't aware of that. I've been using grovers with no problems so far, maybe check them out. They have an 18:1 ratio according to the specs.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/3933?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2012-09-gp&gclid=CMCN576TzLICFcne4AodOUcA2g

• Members

Sperzels:

- Uncomfortable locking knob in the back, they hurt my fingers when turning because they had so sharp ridges on them

- Low gear ratio (not as accurate for fine tuning)

Schaller

- A bit heavier than normal, probably not enough to affect the balance of the guitar tho

- That stupid locking knob

Gotoh Magnum Lock

- None, these are IMO the best on the market. They look like regular tuners, the locking mechanism is easy to open (though you need a coin or screwdriver on hand) and has no locking knobs in the back

I agree with this, I really like those Gotoh's. Have you given the Grover auto-locking ones a shot? I've been liking those too.-

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Full-size_Locking_Tuning_Machines.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=4485

I have yet to try the planet waves.

• Members

I have the Grover locking tuners with the wheel on the back. Other than wondering if I didn't tighten the wheel enough after stringing, there are no disadvantages. However, I still prefer normal Grovers because I like the peace of mind in knowing that I personally wrapped the strings around the posts (and that I do it correctly).

• Members

How reliable is the locking mechanism for those tuners? I don't have any on my guitars so I don't know exactly how they work. Do you not have to wrap the string around the post at all? I don't know if I trust the little ball bearing thing to hold the string without wrapping

No wraps which saves time and creates better tuning stability (excellent for vintage tremolos for tuning stability). With the "roto-grip" (the ones with the little knob on the back you turn to push down on the string) you might need to check them rarely to make sure they are tight, but generally once you tighten the string you are good to go for that strings life.

To change the string here is a demo-

[video=youtube;lGbtlnUiadc]

• Members

How reliable is the locking mechanism for those tuners? I don't have any on my guitars so I don't know exactly how they work. Do you not have to wrap the string around the post at all? I don't know if I trust the little ball bearing thing to hold the string without wrapping

No need to wrap. Just pull the string through and hand tighten the knob on the back and it will lock the string tightly. They work incredibly well and make string changes SO much easier.

Archived