So what are the disadvantages of locking tuners?

grunge782

• Members

some guys think Bigsbys are just fine too, but if you really work the strings and/or actually use a vibrato tailpiece (especially without a locking nut) locking tuners are essential.

Truism: there's no advantage to NOT using locking tuners, except perhaps having a cool intricate string winding ritual you can impress chicks with...;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
  • Members

Im still looking for an answer to my question.

"New strings will still need to be stretched. Stretch the strings by doing 1 step bends and retune, repeating until stretching no longer leaves the strings flat. Because the locking tuner setup has no wraps, this stretching/tuning process will be quicker than with standard tuners."

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Sperzel_Operation_&_Tips.htm

• Members

I wont own another guitar without locking tuners. More specifically without the planet waves trim lock tuners. Those things are ridiculously awesome. I need to switch the sperzels off of my ninja and get some PW tuners. The fact that they lock AND clip your excess string while tuning is amazing to me. Seriously, most convenient tuners ever. Same deal with strap locks...Ill never own a guitar without them. For 15 bucks, they make life way easier. And clip on tuners....those things are so much better than pedal tuners, IMO.

• Members

"New strings will still need to be stretched. Stretch the strings by doing 1 step bends and retune, repeating until stretching no longer leaves the strings flat. Because the locking tuner setup has no wraps, this stretching/tuning process will be quicker than with standard tuners."

What a bunch of bollocks

• Members

what does the tailpiece have to do with it?

I always pull the string till it seats in the stoptail - pull it through the tuner, leaving enough slack, then put tension on the string by holding it in one hand - pushing down on the string behind the nut - and tightening with the other.

See how it's slotted at the top? You have to be super careful when putting tension on the string or they'll just pop right out. Maybe you do it differently than me but locking tuners would be advantageous for me regardless.

0599D9AB-8F4D-4D9D-BD45-FEE27B421199-204

• Members

Can someone offer a comparison of the Grover Style Locking tuners and the Sperzel style for a LP guitar?

Not sure about the grovers, but the 12:1 gear ratio on sperzels will never let me buy them again. 18:1 on the planet waves tuners is WAY better.

• Members

See how it's slotted at the top? You have to be super careful when putting tension on the string or they'll just pop right out. Maybe you do it differently than me but locking tuners would be advantageous for me regardless.

0599D9AB-8F4D-4D9D-BD45-FEE27B421199-204

Gotcha - I can see how that would be a pain.

• Members

I can't speak for Schaller locking or planet waves locking, but I HATE Sperzel Locking tuners.

tooooo high gear ratio makes the tuning go up and down too fast. I like to fiiinnneee tune my guitar.

I know I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't like locking tuners. I just don't like messing with them. If you buy used Sperzels, there's a good chance the last guy unscrewed it too far, lost the retention post, then stripped the threads.(welcome to used sperzels.)

Gotoh standard for me.

• Members

Sorry to rain on everybody's parade; but I have a legitimate gripe about locking tuners. I have a guitar (Buckethead LP) with locking tuners (not sure what brand of tuners) and I have a really tough time getting a string larger than .056 gauge through the peg. Even with the clamp all the way open, there is a little post in the peg that only allows so wide a string to go through it. Now, you can strip the string and clamp it that way, but it's kind of awkward and a pain to do.

Otherwise, I love locking tuners!

• Members

awesome thank you.

D'oh! Didn't see your post - I had my response to Raf typed up and I had to leave the office for something before posting it.

According to Grover's site, all the locking tuners are 18:1. The 14:1 tuners are the Original Rotomatics, the Super Rotomatics, and the Mini-Rotomatics, along with most of their vintage offerings.

• Members

D'oh! Didn't see your post - I had my response to Raf typed up and I had to leave the office for something before posting it.

According to Grover's site, all the locking tuners are 18:1. The 14:1 tuners are the Original Rotomatics, the Super Rotomatics, and the Mini-Rotomatics, along with most of their vintage offerings.

Oh yeah, I was just speaking about sperzels. I hate the 12:1 gear ratio. Ill be getting some PW trim locks for the ninja as soon as I can.

Archived