So what are the disadvantages of locking tuners?

grunge782

• Members

Can someone offer a comparison of the Grover Style Locking tuners and the Sperzel style for a LP guitar?

I have Grovers on a LP and Sperzels on another LP. I like them both but the Grovers have a more traditional look which I prefer. Planet Waves are awesome also (I have them on my Juggy) but out of the 3 I would probably buy Grover when I need them in the future.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have Grovers on a LP and Sperzels on another LP. I like them both but the Grovers have a more traditional look which I prefer. Planet Waves are awesome also (I have them on my Juggy) but out of the 3 I would probably buy Grover when I need them in the future.

I like the look of the Grovers too. i have them on all my LP's but i have the original non-locking kind.

• Members

I like the look of the Grovers too. i have them on all my LP's but i have the original non-locking kind.

If you decide to go to locking Grovers, the 500-series (locking rotomatic and rotogrip) look just like normal non-locking Grovers. Beware the original locking Grovers, though, as they're a lot longer and look ridiculous on LP headstocks.

(Edit: That's assuming you're not using "vintage" Grovers.)

• Members

I feel like I am missing something here when it comes to the look of tuners. Are people concerned about the look of them on the back of the headstock? You can unscrew the ends and put the knobs on another set of tuners. I did it with my Hagstrom. Grover locking with the original hagstrom end knobs.

Fargen%20Hag%20Godin_zps361acd84.jpg

• Members

I guess I wouldn't call them ESSENTIAL, but locking tuners are one of the few things in life that have a lot of upside with little trade-off. I see some complaints about specific brands of tuners, but nothing about locking tuners in general. I have Sperzels on two guitars, and they cause me zero problem of any sort (I guess the 12:1 is a fine enough adjustment for me), while saving me a ton of time and effort when changing strings. Can I live without them? Sure. Would I want to, given the choice? No.

• Members

I was wondering about that. I stretch mine, but I just looked at the instructions on Grover's website, and they mention nothing about stretching ... and they also mention leaving enough slack for one rotation of the post. So ..... I'll try not stretching next time?
:confused:

You don't, really. I think someone might have already posted the answer, but you tune up, do some bends on each string, re-tune, and repeat about 3-4 times, until the string holds pitch.

Most guitarists go way, way overboard with string-stretching, anyway...instead of pulling the strings taut against the tuning post, which is most of what keeps you in tune, they over-do it, and put a nice weak spot in the string...and then wonder why they can't stay in tune, get decent intonation, etc.

Even using standard pegs, it should be done gently, and maybe 2-3 times per string, max...if that. I've seen guys pull strings away from the neck like they were drawing on a compound bow, or worse: on a locking trem that's already been clamped down. :facepalm:

Archived