So what are the disadvantages of locking tuners?

grunge782

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want to get a set of locking tuners for my Ibanez Artist, because the fancy cloud tailpiece makes putting backwards tension on the string while winding up very difficult.

what does the tailpiece have to do with it?

I always pull the string till it seats in the stoptail - pull it through the tuner, leaving enough slack, then put tension on the string by holding it in one hand - pushing down on the string behind the nut - and tightening with the other.

• Members

There are no disadvantages to locking tuners, if you're a gigging musician who looks after their own gear i'd say they're almost essential.

I am sorry but I disagree, these things have only been around a few decades and people did just fine without them before they came around.

• Members

I am sorry but I disagree, these things have only been around a few decades and people did just fine without them before they came around.

I have never had locking tuners on any of my guitars and have never had tuning issues so im just trying to see what the advantage would be. Like I mentioned earlier I don't know if I trust the string being held in place without being wound around the peg at least twice. I have also never broken a string. Does the mechanism pinching the string super tight at the peg weaken it at all? I would think that it would and cause more string breaking problems as opposed to traditional winding around the peg and using the natural bite of winding it.

• Members

I use the autolocking Grovers. No disadvantages at all. They are so easy. Just put the string through the hole, leaving enough slack for about 1/2 a turn, tune, and that's it. I have them on all my electrics, and when I go to change strings on my acoustic now, it seems like SUCH a PITA!! :lol:

• Members

I have never had locking tuners on any of my guitars and have never had tuning issues so im just trying to see what the advantage would be. Like I mentioned earlier I don't know if I trust the string being held in place without being wound around the peg at least twice. I have also never broken a string. Does the mechanism pinching the string super tight at the peg weaken it at all? I would think that it would and cause more string breaking problems as opposed to traditional winding around the peg and using the natural bite of winding it.

Biggest advantages are much quicker string changes and tuning stability with non-locking terms, especially if they're floating. Strings never break at the pegs. After a few years on my Deluxe Strat, the high e string peg stopped locking the string, switched it with the g string peg and its been fine ever since (years and countless gigs). That's the only trouble I've ever had with them.

I'd say they're superior to vintage style tuners, and I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to gear. That said, I wouldn't slap them on a high value vintage instrument like a 60

• Members

One disadvantage only:

They can strip if they're clamped too tightly, or, like a moron, you try to stretch your strings with them like you do with standard tuners. You'll carve some nice grooves in the clamp, and it'll no longer lock the way it should.

Other than that: no real disadvantages at all. I've installed them on a few hard-tailed guitars before, just to speed up string changes. They work just fine.

• Members

I dont think I would put them on my American deluxe but I may like to try them on my blacktop tele

The Strat Deluxe comes with locking tuners which is the first time I had a guitar with them. When I realized I could full on dive bomb and stay in tune I was sold. If I replace the tuners on a guitar now, I go with locking.

• Members

There are no disadvantages to locking tuners, if you're a gigging musician who looks after their own gear i'd say they're almost essential.

They help, but they're not essential; any gigging guitarist should always have at least one backup guitar. If a string breaks, you grab your backup, and change the broken string in between sets. It takes slightly longer without locking tuners, but not much longer, especially with a string winder.

• Members

Regarding tuning stability, locking tuners and Strats:

Again: they help somewhat, but far more important is to make sure that the guitar's Nut is cut properly, and that you use a dab of Chap-Stick or graphite in the nut slots.

Most of the problems with non-locking trems revolve around the string binding at the Nut, and far less so with extra string moving around the tuning post, or the ball-end not seating properly on the saddles or in the trem itself.

• Members

There are Fender locking tuners as well

They used to be made by Schaller; same exact specs. Last I checked, the Fender-branded locking tuners are being made by Ping. They're not as good...just like almost everything Ping makes, with a few notable exceptions. Ping has a tendency to use pot-metal in their manufacturing, and it wears out much, much quicker.

• Members

I have the Fender/Schallers on my Deluxe Strat. I goofed up and over tightened the locking nut resulting in a severely damaged tuner. The locking nut just needs to be torqued enough so that it prevents the string from slipping. Overall, locking tuners can't be beat for speed and efficiency.

• Members

Thats like saying people did fine without computers.

Embrace technology, its good to move forward.

LOL! It isn't close to being the same thing my bruva.

Bass players, acoustic players and just about every Gibson player uses regular tuners. Locking tuners do what? They tune a guitar. Non-locking tuners do what? Yep, you guessed it, they too tune a guitar, they only difference is two or three wraps around the tuning peg.

Now, according to your post, locking tuners are pretty much a necessity for a gigging musician and I still say no they aren't, not by a long shot.

Archived