Underrated guitarists

scooped-mids

• Members

Mike Campbell. In addition to his Tom Petty stuff, I love his work on Boys of Summer and Heart of the Matter. Nothing flashy, just tasty, tasty licks.

Great pick. Your description is perfect.

I'd add Elliot Easton of the Cars and Wally Bryson of the Raspberries. Each did a phenomenal job of giving songs exactly what they needed - none of this annoying and obnoxious 100 hammered notes per second stuff.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phil Keaggey Not sure if he is really underrated, but he is not very well known since he pays to mostly Christian venues. World class guitarist and amazing use of effects. Great song writer and singer too.

Justin Haywood (Moody Blues) I never thought of him as a guitarist, more of a songwriter and singer, but the man can play, and has great tone.

• Members

John Christ-awesome blues/metal style

Mick Mars-I think has awesome tone and style

Bobby Gustafson-one of the best thrash players ever

Jeff Hanneman-WAY better soloist than King

Gary Busey-actually a good player/songwriter!

not quitre sure but that may be the worst list of guitar players ever!!

Mick Mars - terrible at best

Bobby G - I love the songs, love the early stuff but the dude couldn't play a lead to save his life and the newer stuff without him just shreds!

Gary Busy - Ugh!

• Members
agree 100%
:thu:

don't know why he's so hated here

I dont think hes 'hated' around here, hes kinda respected/liked (its Scott Stapp they dont like :lol:) he is supposedly a nice/cool guy as well, but i dont think Tremonti is really hated

:idk:

Vitto Bratta is a lil underappreciated, the guys from Skid Row :love: and Mathias Jabs is another underrated guy. There was a guy from the band Spread Eagle who was good in the couple tunes i heard, (ANYONE KNOW HIS NAME??????) he was really good! Good call on Mick Sweda as well!

PS - How good is this guy? especially for 1969!! :eek:

[YOUTUBE]k59g3pX-C_s[/YOUTUBE]

:thu:

:rawk:

• Members

Great pick. Your description is perfect.

I'd add Elliot Easton of the Cars and Wally Bryson of the Raspberries. Each did a phenomenal job of giving songs exactly what they needed - none of this annoying and obnoxious 100 hammered notes per second stuff.

+1000 on Easton, another guy I forgot about...

Just about the best I ever heard at making a solo that fits the song.

• Members

well I didn't know, the only member of slayer I know is Kerry King, and thats because I looked up pictures of bald guitar players who use retardedly (its a word) painted BC Rich flying vs and his name came RIGHT up.

I feel like you're not gonna last long here.

• Members

Bloodletting is my fav pop rock CD of all time. James Mankey was all tone and taste without plectrums.

The only thing I can add to this is he's an artist like andy summer -- it's all about the song, if it sucks the solo won't save it. If that's your fav album you are a man of outstanding taste. Love the band, love that album.

• Members
The only thing I can add to this is he's an artist like andy summer -- it's all about the song, if it sucks the solo won't save it. If that's your fav album you are a man of outstanding taste. Love the band, love that album.

Thanks for reminding me of another of my favorite underrated guitarists: Andy Summers! :thu:

• Members

Yep loved those bands.............. remember any of these guys ?

Joe Savage & Intellivision

White Tiger

Jetta Madge

The Watch

Zebra

Edgar Cayce

Xenon

Salty Dog

Oh, yeah! Zebra was an amazing band, both instrumentally & vocally; it's too bad they only had 2-3 albums of good original tunes...

White Tiger: great band, until the Lead Dufus, um, singer would come on...

Hows about...

Dreamer

SSSteele

Rat Race Choir

lol zebra. randy jackson was a bad as guitar player. the solo on bears is the {censored}.

andy laroque is up there for me. so is hank shermann and michael denner, the 2 guitarists from mercyful fate.

rik emmett from triumph is also one of my favorites. and jan akerman from focus is amazing.

Archived