Underrated guitarists

scooped-mids

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Dudes from Wishbone Ash.

So underrated I don't even know their names.
:facepalm:

My memory is being jogged so much, I'm getting dizzy...

The dark-haired guy was Laurie (yes, Laurie) Wisefield, if I'm remembering correctly...don't remember the blonde dude's name (who played a Gibby Flying V). Saw them open for another band, back in the day...still remember them doing "Rock And Roll Widow".

• Members
Yep. they played all the time in NY/NJ area, especially on Long island. That's why they are called "Long Island Legends:

Guy Gelso was one of the best drummer I've ever seen live
:thu:

westbury.jpg

Haha! Cool poster...

Yeah, all three of them were great, both instrumentally and vocally. Felix was the inspiration for my then-keyboardist to play left-handed key bass, when our bass player left the band...I love the guitar/keys/drums setup.

• Members

I can't believe I forgot RIk Emmett !!!!!!!!!!!

For the young guys here who've never heard Triumph, check this out ... it starts out slow, so FFW to 2:40 ... talk about a great example of the way a song should build in intensity to it's lead break - Rik is {censored}ing masterful at that in his songs. One of my all time favorite leads - he just {censored}ing owns it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcg7WpBIaBc

HT

• Members
A HUGE +1 to Criss Oliva, Mick Mars, John Sykes, Mike Campbell and John Christ.

Andy Wood (everywhere
except
HCAF, anyway!
)

Steffen Schackinger

Jimmy Herring

Dweezil Zappa

Tommy Emmanuel

Eric Peterson

Chris DeGarmo

Mike Einziger

I'm sure I'll think of 20 more in the next 5 minutes...

YES! Chris Degarmo, the primary songwriter of Queensryche (until he started flying bizjets instead)!!!
also Michael Wilton of Queensryche
NEAL SCHON!!!!!!!!
John Sykes of course
Steve Lukather
and also NEAL SCHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
No flames here, bro, Mark's an excellent musician and writer. Alter Bridge {censored}ing kicks ass, too!

Don't get me wrong, I loathe Scott Stapp as much as anyone, but if it meant selling 35 million records, making myself rich and opening the opportunity to then do whatever the hell I want with whoever the hell I wanted to, I'm thinking there wouldn't be much that was "too bad" about being in Creed for a few years.
:cop:

+2
Anyone who has a problem with Mark Tremonti should shut their mouth since he can play circles around them!

• Members

Jorn Viggo Lofstad of Pagan's Mind and many of Jorn Lande's solo albums is a great player who is both under-appreciated and perhaps underrated. Not the most insanely technical player or anything like that, but really nifty licks and a great rock feel to his leads otherwise missing from a lot of these genres which can be a bit staid or by-the-numbers.

rgOSbkjdkkQ

cxpbFSPKNiU

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hows about...

Dreamer
SSSteele
Rat Race Choir

Hey, I know this is an old thread... but I was one of the founding members of Dreamer!

The band was originaly called "Dethslaker", and was a prog rock band. We changed the name to Dreamer in 1978.

Interestingly Dreamer is still around with two of the original members.

Boy those were the days. There was a great band scene in NJ.

• Members

For me personally, John McLaughlin, hands down. IMHO one of if not the greatest guitarists AND composers of the last 100 years...his playing and compositions on the first 3 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums are just absolutely MINDBLOWING...It;s crazy that no non musos know who he is, and there are very few other musos I've met that actually know who he is, I really think he should be a household name like Van Halen or Hendrix or Clapton when it comes to guitar...

Archived