Underrated guitarists

scooped-mids

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only thing I can add to this is he's an artist like andy summer -- it's all about the song, if it sucks the solo won't save it. If that's your fav album you are a man of outstanding taste. Love the band, love that album.

I'm glad there are others that appreciate James Mankey here. What both of you have said is very true, and I try to apply that sense of melody for the song's sake, avoiding any signs of showboating, in every band that I've been in.

• Members

Mick Mars SUCKS.

Jeff Hanneman SUCKS.

For me, these guys are under the radar:

Andy Laroque

Glenn Drover

Gary Moore

Jeff Loomis

Criss Oliva (R.I.P.)

Definitely agree on Mick Mars. I mean the guy did PLAY some way cool riffs, especially on Too Fast for Love - but I was always under the impression that Nikki Sixx was the primary songwriter for those guys. Not that I'm too much into soloing - but man do Mick's solos suck. Even mine sound better!

• Members

Prince

Nile Rodgers

Peter Green

Prince - just the guy I was going to select. Doesn't seem to get much airtime on forums like this but like I always say - I'll take him over a thousand Steve Vai / Joe Satriani wankers. He's a virtuoso player and musician who uses his talents to showcase actual songs - rather than the other way around.

• Members

Phil Keaggey Not sure if he is really underrated, but he is not very well known since he pays to mostly Christian venues. World class guitarist and amazing use of effects. Great song writer and singer too.

Justin Haywood (Moody Blues) I never thought of him as a guitarist, more of a songwriter and singer, but the man can play, and has great tone.

Oh, yes! I've brought this up in conversation with other guitar players, and they give me the hairy eyeball...

Justin Heywood, like Elliot Easton, is tremendous at constructing solos that fit the song. Just listen to the solos in "I'm Just A Singer In A Rock And Roll Band" and "The Other Side Of Life"; great note selection. Agreed on the tone, also...

• Members

Randy is still around, and he does some acoustic gigs here & there. Awesome stuff

I used to see those guys in places like the Soap Factory in NJ, and they kicked ass...the only band I've ever seen that could make a Moody Blues song rock. Not to mention the ultimate 3-piece...

Yeah, they were from NOLA, but the Northeast adopted 'em like native sons.

• Members

Geordie Walker - Killing Joke. Not really any solos to speak of, but the textures that man creates... :love:

Jock Blythe - GBH. He's got a real swing to the way he plays, nobody quite like that in Punk Rock. I've picked up a lot from him.

Tony 'Bones' Robert - Discharge. Crust before anyone had thought of crust. Pure agression before anyone had even THOUGHT of thrash metal or any of it's offshoots.

Bruce Treasure - Subhumans (The PROPPA Subhumans..not the Canadian ones). He manages to turn what could easily be just another fast, angry punk rock song into something clever and tuneful, but still agressive and relentless. I've not heard any punk guitarist use effects the way he does either.

• Members

I used to see those guys in places like the Soap Factory in NJ, and they kicked ass...the only band I've ever seen that could make a Moody Blues song rock. Not to mention the ultimate 3-piece...

Yeah, they were from NOLA, but the Northeast adopted 'em like native sons.

Yep. they played all the time in NY/NJ area, especially on Long island. That's why they are called "Long Island Legends:

Guy Gelso was one of the best drummer I've ever seen live :thu:

westbury.jpg

Archived