BUGERA REVIEW OF ALL 8 OF THEIR AMPS

Norton666

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol i was reading a product description of the V22 and they say "Its three 12AX7 preamp tubes provide a vast feast of fuzz." so does ur mom lolcakes

That was a typo.

What they meant to write was "Its three 12AX7 preamp tubes provide a nasty yeast infection."

Trust me. I was there.

• Members
I am and I'm not. It depends HOW much gain your talkin'.
:cop:

I can understand that. My Bugera has a sweet spot between 6 and 8 oclock, after that its just a fuzzy mess. Has anyone tried the 2 new models they just released? I think one is a Plexi clone and the other might be a JCM 800 or 900 clone. At any rate I'm sure they sound like a Russian hooker gargling horse jizz lol.

• Members
I can understand that. My Bugera has a sweet spot between 6 and 8 oclock, after that its just a fuzzy mess. Has anyone tried the 2 new models they just released? I think one is a Plexi clone and the other might be a JCM 800 or 900 clone. At any rate I'm sure they sound like a Russian hooker gargling horse jizz lol.

Between 6 and 8 o'clock? Like 0-2 out of 10? :lol:

• Members

I played through the 1990 today

never started and stopped playing an amp that fast in my life.

Starting on the clean channel said "emmm, okay it's decent"

turned on the gain channel,

and after playing a chord or two, I turned off the amp.

• Members

I also played the 1990 yesterday. I gave it a little more time,about a 1/2 hour.I'd like to think I know how to dial in an amp after 30 years. Not so on this thing,eq very unresponsive. No headroom at all on the clean side,fizzy on the gain side.

The only thing I can say it was thru a Bugera cab also. 2 out of 10 and thats being generous.

• Members

I played through the 1990 today

never started and stopped playing an amp that fast in my life.

Starting on the clean channel said "emmm, okay it's decent"

turned on the gain channel,

and after playing a chord or two, I turned off the amp.

How can you possibly form a valid opinion on such a short time without tweaking and trying a few things?

• Members
Wake up man. 90% of them are breaking in the first week of use. I'm not jealous of $500 that went up in smoke.

:rolleyes: Oh shut up. This is the third or second thread where you've bashed Bugera with every ounce of strength you had. You really do come off like an angry guy with more expensive amps, mad because someone spent less than a grand and was actually happy. The clips of the amp don't sound all that horrible, I like them and I've heard high end amps sound worse (like the mark iv), if you want clips, check out youtube as there are a few killer clips of the amp..they are Peavey clones and Peavey makes some pretty killer amps and these aren't far off in tone. Reliability may be an issue, but those problems can be fixed and for the price of one of these amps, plus the price of doing a little work to make it durable you STILL have a killer amp for less than the Peavey models and for MUCH less than high end stuff. I don't even own a Bugera, nor would I get one due to me just being a Peavey fan (which is the only reason), but Behringer makes good stuff, even though quality control is questionable. When you get something from them that works, it {censored}in works.

Heaven forbid the OP claims this thing can do ANYTHING better than a Mark IV..I'd believe it. That's why they make different amps, not everyone likes the same thing. People went through this with Peavey, the original "Bugera". I bought a JSX, and after cosmetic and internal mods I have a custom amp I couldn't be happier with, for much cheaper than stock more "high end" stuff. So if a Bugera guy finds his sound in the amp..so what? I'll never understand these people who feel the need to bash Bugera, NEVER owning one, NEVER playing one and ONLY hearing about how they break. If you don't like it..just pay it no mind. I hate ENGL amps, but I don't devote my life to aiding in damaging their name..it's not that damn serious.

This concludes my rant. From the desk of 20/20 this is Barbara Walters saying goodnight....

• Members
The clips of the amp don't sound all that horrible, I like them and I've heard high end amps sound worse (like the mark iv), if you want clips, check out youtube as there are a few killer clips of the amp....

Heard them and played them and does not want :o It's a very cheap amp that responds and sounds like a very cheap amp. Is is better than a Blue Voodoo? Yes, but so is a MT-2 though 5-watt gorilla.:poke:

As for the Mark sounding bad, it's called user error. Pre-gain EQ exposes newbs every time. :oh look, an EQ, ok....bass 3 o'clock, Treb 3 o'cleck, Mids noon, presence 2 o'clock....this is going to be win :idea:.......:facepalm:

:freak:

• Members
Heard them and played them and does not want
:o
It's a very cheap amp that responds and sounds like a very cheap amp. Is is better than a Blue Voodoo? Yes, but so is a MT-2 though 5-watt gorilla.:poke:

As for the Mark sounding bad, it's called user error. Pre-gain EQ exposes newbs every time. :oh look, an EQ, ok....bass 3 o'clock, Treb 3 o'cleck, Mids noon, presence 2 o'clock....this is going to be win
:idea:
:facepalm:

:freak:

That's my point. I've heard mark IVs sound like ass..but that's not what I think of the amp..I've heard solid state crate heads murder mesa triple rectos and all kinds of {censored}, it has to do with who's playing, what else is being used, etc. If you played it and you don't like it that's one thing..but to ramble about what you've heard and bash the amp at every chance is just stupid.

• Members

That's my point. I've heard mark IVs sound like ass..but that's not what I think of the amp..I've heard solid state crate heads murder mesa triple rectos and all kinds of {censored}, it has to do with who's playing, what else is being used, etc. If you played it and you don't like it that's one thing..but to ramble about what you've heard and bash the amp at every chance is just stupid.

Amen bro! Im pretty dam happy with my 6260 with a 10 band eq it kicks ass for sure. the only amp that I liked the gain on it and I had a few. I put a nos RFT 12ax7, telefunken to sweeten it up some, I played a 5150 III seems to have the same amount of gain.

update:Got a marshall 205h on a trade for my drums, sounds awsome! The bugera is a fine amp for the cash but its harsh sounding also.

• Members

I think you misunderstood my post.

I was saying that the Mark IV can sound like {censored} if you don't know the EQ section doesn't work like a standard map EQ. So, it is possible to make it sound like a sonic turd sandwhich.

On the other hand, the low-end components of the Bugera make it sound meh at best no matter what.

There are plenty of used peavys or carvin V3s that would destroy the bugera in an A/B competition. This is coming from a guy that tested the V3 in a mesh insect suit to prevent being stung to death by a ravenous swarm of bees. :cop:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

...some people on these websites drive me round the bend!

I agree with a lot of people on this site who cares about the brand name of the amplifier? There are too many people out there who are fannying around with the way their amplifier looks, how it should be racked, and how many cabs you should have to suit a sound. These are people who can barely play a chord or who can't write a song!

Great, it's really cool that some people have Mesa amps, of course a Bugera is never going to match that...that's why mummy and daddy spend over a thousand quid to get you the amplifier!

I use a bottom of the range PRS SE singlecut guitar which cost me less than four hundred pound, a schecter diamond series telecaster model which I got for fourty nine pound after part exchanging my fender tele, and I play these through a Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100 head - solid state. I have no problems what so ever.

I'm in a small touring band, I'm on a tight budget and unfortunately can't afford expensive kit!

I'm looking to go valve and for those who have done their research the Bugera 1990 sounds very very close to a Marshall JCM 900, there is a video on you tube for it, and my local music store is a Bugera dealer and these amps are {censored} hot for their price!

So all these kids who are sat there with their Gibsons and top of the range head and cabs, carry on but try one of these amps out before you sit there and trash talk! I think I'd rather play my own music in front of a buzzing crowd outside of my bedroom with my ''crappy'' gear than waste my time away in my house with my mesa stack that mummy and daddy bought me for christmas!

Nice review mate, try the 1990 and do another review I know I will be in the next month or two! :)!!

• Members

I'm looking to go valve and for those who have done their research the Bugera 1990 sounds very very close to a Marshall JCM 900,

To most this isnt exactly a selling point. You gotta wonder why they copied the 900 anyway.

Nice resurrection of an old, old thread BTW.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Your absolutely right mate..you couldn't of put it better,  it's all swings & roundabouts at the end of the day....I've owned just about most of the so called top end classics & I'm telling you now..I recently bought a Bugera BC15 & as far as I'm concerned its a tidy little amp that definitely delivers..& again cannot be beaten on price, for value,quality, & again the sound will definitely put a smile on your face for all the right reasons..unless of course you've just paid out excessively for a so called ''classic'' then you might have reason to be pretty pissed off that you didn't find this Bugera first, & saved yourself a few bob..it's a lot of amp for the money & sounds,... this is my first Bugera, so I will be trying the other models eventually..  I think it's time for people to realise that these Bugeras are actually a strong contender on the market, & that this is not a site for people who hate behringers or bugeras..it is for constructive, subjective & objective discussion, & a little respect for our fellow forum posters comments would go along way...we al enjoy different sounds of varying degrees.. 

• Members

The JCM 900 was the DSL of it's day. The clean channel would provide classic Marshall tone when driven but that gain channel left a lot to be desired in certain models, notably the Hi Gain Dual Reverb. The SL-X model was just win! A rockin' Marshall worthy of the name.

As far as the Bugera stuff, I can't comment on the higher gain models (333/6260/etc.) I do feel quite comfortable in saying that you do get what you pay for as far as component quality. But, that's a cop out as far as a review because the same could be said of all amps.

I do own the V22 and did own the V55H. I like the old school tones and Bugera provides these quite well. even their stock speakers really do sound best with their amps assuming you give the adequate break-in period that they require.

The Gain channel on the V22 is, for me, usable up to about 8 on the dial. Like it or not it gives a definite "Marshally" flavor. Definitely NOT a GREAT tone but one that is certainly usable.

The clean channel is NOT a "Fendery" but a good usable clean with that gives a nice breakup when pushed.

For the guy who needs a smallish amp with some decent options like a power level switch, FX loop, on-board reverb and channel switching, the Bugera V22 delivers.

On the downside, their earlier models suffered from a component that went bad and caused the amp to switch channels on it's own. It's the voltage regulator that would break down due to heat. The easy fix is to put in a new voltage regulator ($1 at Parts Express) or if you wanted to get fancy you could add a heatsink on to the voltage regulator which would add another $3 to the parts bill.

The stock tubes typically sucked. Replace with matched JJ EL84s and JJ 12ax7s and do a rebias leaning toward the warm side and you'll have one rockin' l'il amp.

Apparently there is also a problem with the onboard digital reverb. It likes to just drop out and disappear then magically re-appear when the mood suits it. Not sure of the fix for this. It will come to me someday. I don't worry about too much about it because I have reverb that I use in my multi-fx stomp box. I5t doesn't affect the tone or performance of the amp in any other way.

My V55H was traded because I just didn't use it that often. It had tones and features quite similar to it's little brother but I played through one of my Twins for most shows and used the V22 in small venues and at practice, so it went away.

Bugera does NOT make "premier" amps or amps that everyone wants but it does make amps that are well suited for those who want to get tube tones at bargain prices. They do NOT claim to be Marshalls or Boogies or Matchless or Fenders. But they do provide a wide array of usable tones and great performance for little money. Think of them as today's answer to the old Silvertone amps or National or any of a host of other old tube amps from long ago. They fill a void and give the aspiring guitar player the opportunity to work with tones and dynamics that only a tube amp can offer. If you buy one new it comes with a warranty. If it breaks or doesn't function as advertised simply take it back to where you bought it from. If it needs service later Bugera will most likely simply replace it. This is NOT a fault of the amp or it's design, it's the fault of Bugera customer service which is a genuine HUGE FAIL on the part of Bugera. They have missed a big opportunity to build a good, solid reputation in the American market.

I've had my V22 for over 2 years now and I don't see myself getting rid of it.

Archived