BUGERA REVIEW OF ALL 8 OF THEIR AMPS

Norton666

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Heheh... I tried a 6260 and a 333 a few days ago, and although I was pretty surprised by the sound (far better than I expected), the reliability was rather shocking.

The amps I played were both unpacked right in front of me, taken out of cardboard boxes with styrofoam etc, and each set up on an Engl Vintage 4x12"... Fired up the 333 first, played around a bit. Clean was ok, very clean - definitely a usable sound. Crunch channel... Too much gain (Gain at 1/10 was past AC/DC lead...). Same thing with the lead channel. But if you kept the gain below 3 at all times, it was actually a pretty good sounding head, again, considering the price tag...

Then I fired up the 6260 - that's where the fun began. Upon hitting the power switch, I heard a loud pop. So I think to myself "{censored}e, did we hook it up wrong?"... but nope, impedances match. So I flip the standby switch - SNAP! CRACKLE! FIZZ! POP!

That's when I unplugged the guitar for fear of getting zapped... About 5 seconds later, it fizzled and died completely. Sad really, a brand new tube amp, out of the box for 10 minutes, on for 30 seconds, and already dead.

Now my hopes for Bugera are just as dead as that amp... I'd rather pay twice as much and get an amp that'll last 10 years as opposed to 30 seconds (or, on average, probably about a year :p)...

• Members

I must have got a good one. Mine is as reliable as my 6505. Everything is built really sturdy on it. Nothing is lose everything is tight. Ive had mine for a while play it extremly loud everyday. Never had one thing go wrong. But I do have a one year warranty too. Theres always going to be bad ones in something thats new. Theres plenty of 5150's that died right out of the box too that ive read on here. People have had to ship them back. My next amp im not sure what it'll be. The bugera has me stuck on el-34's now though. I like them better than the 6l6's in my 6505. I thought about a mesa but honestly the dual rec didnt sound better than my 333xl. I might go really expensive and get the slo-100. Ive always wanted one. I'm a gear nerd I buy so much {censored} i dont need lol.

• Members

point being still in the price range the bugera slays the valveking and b-52.... its even better than some more expensive amps. So i think all in all its a good buy. If you get a bad one then take it back

That's because Bugeras are a cheap ripoff of the 6505. I dunno about B-52's, but ValveKing's are their own amps.

• Members

point being still in the price range the bugera slays the valveking and b-52.... its even better than some more expensive amps. So i think all in all its a good buy. If you get a bad one then take it back

Definitely - and what the hell, they must have a warranty of some sort, right? Hell, buy two instead of one Engl or Mesa and you'll still save a thousand bucks ;)...

• Members

Hey agreed did you try the 333xl? I went in with the intention of buying the 6262 because of what I had heard about them and then tried the 333xl and it was just totally way better. Try it out before you pick up the 6260. My dealer said everyone thats walked in to get a 6262 and tried the 333xl ended up walking out with the 333.

No, they didn't have one there. I'll see if they'll bring one in - the one thing about this store is that since it's a relatively small operation, they actually finance all their gear rather than buying it outright, so the circumstances under which they're willing or able to bring in something they don't have in stock tend to be restricted to "you are placing a special order with half the money down up front." They're great people, but not that easy to deal with sometimes because of their financial situation.

If my experiences with the 6505 and JSX are at all representative, I bet I'd like the 333XL more than the 6260. The JSX, to my ears, is one of the best amps Peavey has ever made for hard rock and above levels of gain. Great sounding head. I bet the Bugera sounds good, too.

For what it's worth, these days, Behringer has relatively good warranty replacement. However, their service centers suck ass. I had a pair of monitors nearly destroyed in shipping because the {censored}ing clowns at some "authorized service center" in Texas used the same box I shipped it in except they didn't put any of the packaging back in. That was a fun bit of bull{censored} to work through. But Behringer was great the whole time, gave me an RMA authorization immediately and was ready to ship out a new set within a couple days. And that was my fault, too - I decided I'd do a "volume test" and overloaded the tweeter. :cop:

• Members

Yeah, the 333xl just sounded like a much more versitle better amp. It has all the gain the 6260 had... actually has more than my 6505. The clean channel is awesome. Which is good for me because ive never had a tube amp with a good clean channel. All I've owned in the tube amp line is a 5150 and a 6505. It sounds really warm and no break up like the 6505. The crunch channel I don't never use but I got some good classic tones out of it. The lead channel like I said is just amazing. Its pretty middy too. I guess the main difference when I tried them both out was the 333xl just had this tight saturated gain with good low end. The 6262 had like my 6505, screaching gain with loose sounding low end. Hey heres pics of my amps too. The Bugera looks bad ass too. lol

PICT0309.jpg

PICT0194.jpg

6505.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Amazing huh the guys who can't afford over priced amps that cost sooo much less to produce and get a 3 to 4x mark up are psyched because they might be able to get a tube amp that kicks ass without having to re-mortgage their houses and guys who are being snobbish getting upset about a cheap amp that may sound good and feel like they've been ripped off or afraid that their status amongst amp owners will have been revoked lmao too {censored}in funny. Thanks for the reviews Norton now i'm looking forward to ordering a 333

Lol, 3x to 4x markup? for a Mesa MkIV? actually its more like 10x or more. The PCB costs about $5 in volume of 5000 or more. The normal electronic components on there probably costs them another $5. If the pots are really good then maybe another few dollars for them. Then you have tubes and the transformer.

I've had 3 pieces of Behringer equipment. 2 works great. the last one also worked great, one problem. the Truth monitors picked up a radio station without anything plugged into it except the power cord. Now to be fair, I live within a stone throw of, count them, 4, yes 4 giant radio towers with radio, TV, microwave, cell, and god knows what else on them.

But still with proper shielding they should have been fine but they weren't so had to send them back. It sounded great, just like the reviews and just like some of the reviews, it picked up radio. This certainly wouldn't stop me from getting another piece of behringer though. Just not their active monitors. Their price point is awesome and if it works well then i keep it, if not send it back.

fiddler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

After looking at the pics of the inside of that amp, It's pretty much like every other peice of Behringer gear. Built like dog{censored}. If you were to keep it in your basement, and never move it, or replace the tubes, or turn the knobs very much, It might even last a long time. But if you plan on hauling that heap to shows.....

Bring a backup, Or just get a REAL amp, and dont worry about it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Behringer is for kids who don't know any better, and can't afford anything good.

• Members

After looking at the pics of the inside of that amp, It's pretty much like every other peice of Behringer gear. Built like dog{censored}. If you were to keep it in your basement, and never move it, or replace the tubes, or turn the knobs very much, It might even last a long time. But if you plan on hauling that heap to shows.....

Bring a backup, Or just get a REAL amp, and dont worry about it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Behringer is for kids who don't know any better, and can't afford anything good.

Wow. That does not make you sound intelligent.

• Members

Wow. That does not make you sound intelligent.

Why? I'm stating nothing but fact. I owned a Behringer mixer once (I didnt know any better) that was used for live shows. It lasted about 3 months before channels started going out in it. I took it to the local repair shop, and they told me that the circuit boards were so cheap, and flimsy that it was nearly possible to repair, and once the solder traces on the board lift, you're pretty much done. 3 channels out within the first year.

I'm not saying anything that isnt true.... I stand by what I said before, It's for folks who dont know any better, or cant afford anything good.

Nothing wrong with that, It's just fact.

Hopefully guys considering Behringer junk will not make the mistake of buying it in the first place because guys like me shared their problems with it.

Let me ask you this... If Behringer built airplanes, and they built them to the same quality standards that they built their audio gear, would you fly in it??

GP

• Members

While I'll admit the Mark IV comparison is a bit much,

I bet you've never even heard a Bugera. :poke:

you're wrong.. there's a sam ash full of them 3 blocks away from home. I've probably heard more models than you have.

They actually sound decent, but Mark IV???? please!!

• Members

I just bumped up from solid state amps to this bugera 333xl .. I just got it yesterday and put about 8 or 9 hours on it so far .. my impression as it stands so far is that this is a beast that nor heaven nor hell can keep caged ..

the clean is crisp and flows nicely and the crunch can go anywhere from bluesy to earth rattling and the lead nice to .. i'm still tyring to find my sweet spot for it but that's another point to its very versatile in my opinion ..

the reverb sounds nice but that noise gate I don't hear any difference

this amp gets loud ..my ears are ringing right now and don't have it turned up no more than a quarter of the way on the volumes .. the foot switch is very convenient .. I'm playing with a schecter hellraiser c7 through it ...

the knobs are plastic and feel cheap but the way I'm seeing it so far is that for a tube amp of this statue to be sold for what it sells for some less important things like knobs need to be sacrificed for the price ... so that's my opinion on this amp and if something goes wrong I will post it ...

I'm 27 and have only been playing for a little over two years and loving it ..

I dont play in any bands ...i spend a few hours a day playing or practising ..

I like playing blues , metal , some types of country , and coming up with my own thing

artists I'd like to learn from are Zakk Wylde , Brad Paisly , Floyd etc...

just to give you an idea of how I play

th_100_3849-1.jpg

th_100_3835.jpg

th_100_3836.jpg

th_100_3837.jpg

th_100_3838.jpg

th_100_3840.jpg

th_100_3842.jpg

th_100_3848.jpg

th_100_3834.jpg

• Members

th_100_3849-1.jpg
Thats my Ibanez btb 5string bass behind my guitar and the amp I have for it is a behringer bx600 that I've had for a couple years now ... never gave me a problem and still sounds damm good
th_100_3726.jpg

I was impressed with how much ass the Behringer bass rigs had when I heard them. My point wasnt that they made a terrible sounding product, just that IME, they arent very road worthy, and you wouldnt see many, if any real gigging musicians using that stuff.

Not tryinng to put you on the spot, I'm just curious if you load that behringer out to gigs everyweekend? If not, and it stays at home most of the time, i would expect it to last quite a while... the stuff I've seen though just wasnt built to a standard to be loaded in, and out of cars, and bars all the time without something going wrong.

Archived