The beater thread

EvilTwin

• Members

I picked up a First Act 3/4 size on eBay for 9.95 + 12.00 S&H. It's not only going to be a beater... It is sacrificing itself in the name of science! I'll be using it to learn how to do my own setups and repairs. I may have to break it first! :)

• Members

One Beater is not enough!:lol:

I have the Campfire Beater.:idea:

A 1984 Hondo Model 18 Tradition, aka Sigma Dm1, all Laminate Guitar, that withstands everything. (Needs a neck reset that it will never get.):cry:

I have the All Solid Beater.:cool:

A Washburn WD32SW Blem, Solid Spruce over Solid Sapele. It's top was never finished properly, and it is built like a tank! I got wary of the Solid

Spruce near the Campfire, but it was so cheap I kept it. It is never cased at home. Great sound! (Put a pickguard and a bone saddle on it, for another $20.00);)

Finally, the Cedar Beater.:love:

A 1999 S&P SP6 Mahogany Cedar, Solid Cedar over hog/cherry/hog laminate, that I got second hand only because it sounded great and was so cheap. Very lightly built and the best sounding of the three. I leave it and the Campfire beater at the Cottage all Summer in case someone wants to Jam!:)

There you have it...The Beater Family!:poke:

• Members

If I had infinite money I'd buy my old pawn shop Yammie that's still hanging in the pawn shop I sold it to many years ago. It would be in serious need of a neck reset even if the neck wasn't cracked. Wish I had a picture of it. They gave me $70 for it, and it has a $200 price tag on it now (old laminate).

After the Yammie, my beater was a pawn shop laminate Tak, which got stolen out of my car. No pics (or lost love) of that one. It was built well, but had to soul (or tone, or intonation).

After that it was a pawn shop Washburn D100. He're my daughter Ruth playing it.

ruthwash.jpg

I didn't know it was only a $100 guitar (new price) when I gave a pawn shop $75 for it. It was ok, but intonation wasn't great. After playing a Yammie F-335, and learning that you could have good intonation on a cheap guitar, I was never again satisfied with it. So I sold it to get my parlor. Then my next beater was my Really Friggin Green $75 eBay Washburn D10. Here's me making a nut and saddle for it. (notice the cappuccino)

makenut.jpg

I've still got the RFG Washburn, in fact, I really like that guitar. But I got another beater to keep at work. My $50 eBay Samick.

full.jpg

My present beaters aren't very banged up. They were just cheap, so I don't cringe when they fall over or bang into something.

Scott O

• Members

I saw this guy on the Academy Awards a while back and noticed his Willie Nelson-esque guitar.
:thu:

That's Glen Hansard. He was on an Irish chat show recently, and he said that Takamine asked him not to appear with such a raggedy guitar, in case people thought their products were shoddy. They offered him all kinds of replacements, but he stuck with that one.

• Members

As I've mentioned before, my beater is an Alvarez RD10 that I bought on eBay for $90 with a gig bag and shipping. The guitar cost $150 new and whoever paid that much got robbed. The interior grain on the sides runs a right angles to the grain on the outside. :eek: I mean, I know it's laminated but come on! Here are some pics of a somewhat newer version (with nicer tuners) courtesy of Elderly: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/RD10.htm.

• Members

Acoustics.jpg

The Ovation on the left. It's a Balladeer from sometime in the 70's with the metal stamped plate inside and the 5-piece neck. Doesn't look too bad in the picture, but its neck has been snapped off and glued back on, the surface is scratched and gouged here and there, it's got dings all over, and I believe it's been dropped in the ocean. Electronics still work fine.

• Members

I've got a Rover RM-50 mandolin that I bought for camping trips. Poor thing never makes it outta the closet when I'm home. It sounds surprisingly good once it gets warmed up.

I sold my Yamaha FG-180 years ago (sigh.)

• Members

My "beater" steel string is a 1989 Sigma/Martin DM-2 dread.

Although I bought it used last summer for $150 she's in real good shape and has only a few tiny dings here and there. It seems to be built to last. As you can see from the pics it doesn't look too bad for a 19 year old guitar. I have used this guitar a few times at open mics as a "house" guitar. I use a Fishman NeoD soundhole pup in it. I did my own set-up on it and it plays wonderfully. It even sounds pretty good for an all laminate guitar. This summer it will be my "busker" guitar.

Beater%20guitars%20001%20%28Small%29.jpg

Beater%20guitars%20002%20%28Small%29.jpg

Beater%20guitars%20005%20%28Small%29.jpg

Beater%20guitars%20004%20%28Small%29.jpg

Archived