So....I can't sing!

outdoorgb

• Members

Last weekend I am my beach property with the kids and wife. We head down to the sand at the beach and I whip out my beater Seagull. Couple of beers and I'm belting out some stuff...

My eleven and nine-year-old tell me..." Dad, you can't sing". I called bull{censored} and reminded them..."You can't drive, and home is 145 miles away"...damn kids these days:thu:

125_2509.jpg

• Members

Last weekend I am my beach property with the kids and wife. We head down to the sand at the beach and I whip out my beater Seagull. Couple of beers and I'm belting out some stuff...

My eleven and nine-year-old tell me..." Dad, you can't sing". I called bull{censored} and reminded them..."You can't drive, and home is 145 miles away"...damn kids these days:thu:

125_2509.jpg

Nice!

don't you just love being older lol.

Can you not really sing? or were you just kidding?

If you can't sing then you need to practice! Everyone can sing, the problem is that when we first try somebody tells us that we suck so then we never try again.

Thats how I was until a few months ago, I never sang. I have been practicing like crazy and I am no Eddie Vedder but I can belt out a few good songs.

Practice practice practice, and encourage your kids to sing from a young age then they won't have the normal singing phobia like everyone else.

Ok I am done :thu:

• Members

I called bull{censored} and reminded them..."You can't drive, and home is 145 miles away"...damn kids these days:thu:

hehehe love this sense of humour :lol:

not being able to sing doesn't stop most people :thu: just keep at it

• Members

Aw hell! At 45 I'm not about to stop singing, let alone being told I can't by some whipper-snapper...

I'll sing if I want too and I've been singing my whole life. Actually did pretty well in high school with a few solos. But no, you won't see me on an awards show anytime soon. I'll keep doing it...I love it.

Just sharing a little comment from my kids, of course, they're not with us anymore:freak: Crab Bait.

• Members

Well heck my guess is that your kids would listen to Bob Dylan or Neil Young and say "he can't sing" either.

Hate to say it but I think this is indicative of the American Idolization of popular music. Our kids will grow up watching these singing competition shows and then they will listen to the manufactured pop stars. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that. It's a tidal wave. Heck, I enjoy watching AI but I also keep it in perspective. Kids don't have that ability yet.

• Members

I was known in the school choir as "Who the hell is that?" :confused:

My kids began wearing ear plugs around the house at a very early age. Not really too sure if it was my harmonica playing or singing that finally pushed them over the edge toward enforcing my "Dad, you can only sing or play harmonica in the bathroom" banishment.............. :cry:

• Members

Well heck my guess is that your kids would listen to Bob Dylan or Neil Young and say "he can't sing" either.

Hate to say it but I think this is indicative of the American Idolization of popular music. Our kids will grow up watching these singing competition shows and then they will listen to the manufactured pop stars. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that. It's a tidal wave. Heck, I enjoy watching AI but I also keep it in perspective. Kids don't have that ability yet.

Well I gotta give my kids credit for open-mindedness too... My son (11) enjoys classical, rock (from 1968'ish on up to more recent), and my daughter (9) can actually sing and does so at church regularly.

I guess they can't appreciate MY style of singing yet...I'll keep at 'em

• Members

My eleven and nine-year-old tell me..." Dad, you can't sing". I called bull{censored} and reminded them
..."You can't drive, and home is 145 miles away"...damn kids these days:
thu:

125_2509.jpg

Hell, they know you hold all the cards, for now. Your kidos gotta get their "digs in" anyway they can. :lol:

• Members

I couldn't play guitar before I started, either. That didn't stop me from trying. Now I'm better. I get better every time I play.

At this point I can probably play a little better that I can sing, but not by much. I guess I'll have to keep practicing. Both.:rawk:

• Members

Everyone can sing, the problem is that when we first try somebody tells us that we suck so then we never try again.

Thats how I was until a few months ago, I never sang. :

That's a very good point, C_C. When I first started playing the guitar I never sang - in fact I went to the length of picking out the melodies of songs between the chords so that people knew what I was playing (listen to Witches Hat in the Annex to get the idea - although I do sing in that too).

Then, several years ago, much against my better judgement, I was persuaded to do a spot in a works Christmas party. . . . .and everyone clapped! So, yes, everyone get singing.

PS. I know a young lady who is professional singer - a soprano who sings with some of the country's better opera companies - she has to practise when her children are in school because they plead with her: "Mummy, please don't make that awful noise!"

• Members

Nice!

don't you just love being older lol.

Can you not really sing? or were you just kidding?

If you can't sing then you need to practice! Everyone can sing, the problem is that when we first try somebody tells us that we suck so then we never try again.

Thats how I was until a few months ago, I never sang. I have been practicing like crazy and I am no Eddie Vedder but I can belt out a few good songs.

Practice practice practice, and encourage your kids to sing from a young age then they won't have the normal singing phobia like everyone else.

Ok I am done
:thu:

i agree. if you just practice you'll be able to get some good vocals in there. Not saying you'll be the next American idol...but hey, look @ bob dylan. He didnt have the sweetest voice and he's still legendary.

it took me forever to get over my singing phobia.

• Members

I love it when kids throw you for a loop with their naive honesty. Sometimes I get a comment about my big nose. I has in a mental health hospital last month, and this childlike but physically mature young woman walked up to me and said, "You have the most beautiful nose." That was a first.

I'm staying with someone right now who has a girl that just turned 5. She isn't afraid to ask questions. "What's that?..." I love kids. (Good thing. I have 6)

Scott O

• Members

Can't help about the shape I'm in,

I can't sing, I aint pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you,

I might not give the answers that you want me to.

Ah, Peter Green!:) thanks

Gonna go listen to some old Fleetwood Mac on vinyl now.

cheers

R

Archived