Made $20 with my guitar - in a men's room

happy-man

• Members

Went to the Fort Lauderdale beach on Sunday with my guitar. I was in a bathroom, and this guy says, "I'll give you $20 if I can play your guitar." He wasn't expecting me to oblige. I had to convince him that it was really ok with me (it was my bang-around F-335 that I paid $76 for with stand). He was a musician from New York who hadn't played a guitar for a week, was returning home the next day, and was dying to play a song he wrote for a girl that he was with. He was very happy to play it. He liked the guitar and guessed it was about a $500 instrument. I told him it was cheap, but a model I liked because it played well and had good intonation. He said, "but it plays like butter." Well, it doesn't play like butter, but I have set it up pretty well.

Later as I sat and played by the beach, I saw a girl busking across the street. People consistently dropped money in her case without even stopping to listen. Looks like she was doing pretty well. I went to talk with her before I left and bought her CD. Her name was Tiara Sky. She said she had been busking on that corner for about a year. I gave her some constructive criticism: told her that I liked her lyrics, and that her voice sounded good, but her guitar sounded thin. She was playing a cheap Epiphone. A bigger sounding guitar would really enhance her sound. She wasn't using any amplification. She acknowledged that she was aware of that. It didn't seem to affect the money streaming into her case, so I guess her formula is working ok (she was cute).

The guy from New York also bought me a beer. I turned down his offer of a shot.

Scott O

• Members

Much better story than the thread title made it sound.

Yeah, you definitely got our attention.

Cool story though.

When I was younger, my buddy and I used to cruise Huntington and Newport beaches, in So. Cal. We always had people who would stop and listen. We'd been doing it for a long time when someone actually wanted to give us money and asked why we didn't have a case open. It never occurred to us as we weren't doing it for money. So we opened a case and played on. We made enough money to buy a 12-pak on the way home and some strings the next day. Never did it again.

• Members

You're a brave man, Scott. If I'm in a public men's room and a guy comes up to me and says, "Hey, I'll give you twenty dollars if..." by the time he got to the word "guitar," I'd already be peeling out in the nearest taxi.

HAHAHA

Archived