VOM 15 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

It was a great VOM with 38 entries and I enjoyed doing my part for Joe. Unfortunately, akmusic keeps removing my song from the site for some reason so if you can't find it, I've given up. Guess I'll have to start doing video on You Tube next month. Anyway, as always, I will not rate anyone publicly because I truly feel that it sometimes causes hard feelings if a performer is criticized publicly. The VOM is for enjoyment!

BigAl :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
It was a great VOM with 38 entries and I enjoyed doing my part for Joe.
Unfortunately, akmusic keeps removing my song from the site for some reason so if you can't find it, I've given up.
Guess I'll have to start doing video on You Tube next month. Anyway, as always, I will not rate anyone publicly because I truly feel that it sometimes causes hard feelings if a performer is criticized publicly. The VOM is for enjoyment!

BigAl
:)

• Members
It was a great VOM with 38 entries and I enjoyed doing my part for Joe. Unfortunately, akmusic keeps removing my song from the site for some reason so if you can't find it, I've given up. Guess I'll have to start doing video on You Tube next month. Anyway, as always, I will not rate anyone publicly because I truly feel that it sometimes causes hard feelings if a performer is criticized publicly. The VOM is for enjoyment!

BigAl
:)

boxnet works for me!......used to use putfile, but they seem to be down very often.....nothing wrong with soundclick either......

• Members

I think many people enjoy the individual comments made on their songs.

+1

And I don't mind hearing criticism. I know I'm not the best (ok, I'm nowhere near the best) so hearing from those more talented than I can only be a good thing. Right?

• Members

Another +1. I don't have many people to give me feedback, so good or bad, I love getting it here.

As artists we should live by critique; good or bad. Agreed that it is hard to take bad critique, but in the long run you are better for it. I try my best to be thick skinned about it. And, thanks for the kind words for my contribution.

Bob

• Members

As artists we should live by critique; good or bad. Agreed that it is hard to take bad critique, but in the long run you are better for it. I try my best to be thick skinned about it. And, thanks for the kind words for my contribution.

Bob

Yeah, the feedback is nice, but I don't feel bad if someone doesn't choose my entry as one to comment on...there's a ton on here and I barely have the time to listen to them all myself.

I don't think I (or most other people here) are just fishing for compliments, either. I find this incredibly helpful for my development mostly because it gives me a monthly goal to get something learned and recorded in at least a semi-presentable form. Any feedback, good or bad, just adds to that. Nobody wants to feel like they worked hard on a contribution that got ignored.

Basically, I think that if people want to give others feedback, good or bad, then they should. By posting your music, you implicitly accept (and expect) feedback. That said, obviously feedback should be well-intentioned and the last thing anyone wants is one-upsmanship or rankings.

• Members
Hmm. I may start using box.net though I suppose we could all hit Freeman up to put our audio-only stuff up on the Annex.
:idea:

Neil, I don't think the Annex was constructed for the purpose of hosting VOM1T sessions and the amount of time it would take on that Sunday, or the days leading up to it would be a burden I wouldn't want to place on Freeman or Krash. Until the music upload becomes available on the VOM site keep doing what you're doing, or id you're in a bind I'll be happy to host on my site until it gets added to the archives or the annex.
I can handle movies as well so if you need that just alert me and I'll let you know where to send the file.

• Members

Hey folks, I'm not trying to start a rebellion here. I don't mind criticism either. Already know I'm bad.:facepalm: In January or February (I don't remember which) some people were upset by comments made about them. Some were annoyed because they weren't reviewed. I'm just trying to keep people happy with the VOM and not deterred because they don't take criticism well.

BigAl :)

• Members

This is an area where we will not all agree. Personally I would like to see a method of commenting built in, but to many this means competition. Feedback isn't competition, but I can see how some might take it that way.

We will just have to agree that we arent all going to see eye to eye on this.

• Members

This is an area where we will not all agree. Personally I would like to see a method of commenting built in, but to many this means competition. Feedback isn't competition, but I can see how some might take it that way.

+1

• Members

Agreed. I like commenting on the submissions because I assume if this were a real open mic, we'd be chatting it up afterwards, so this is the next best thing.

• Members

Agreed. I like commenting on the submissions because I assume if this were a real open mic, we'd be chatting it up afterwards, so this is the next best thing.

Exactly! The virtual open mic lacks the chatting afterward and the audience response during the performance. Comments are a way to interact

• Members

I don't think I (or most other people here) are just fishing for compliments, either. I find this incredibly helpful for my development mostly because it gives me a monthly goal to get something learned and recorded in at least a semi-presentable form. Any feedback, good or bad, just adds to that. Nobody wants to feel like they worked hard on a contribution that got ignored.

+1, well said.

• Members

No rebellion here BigAl. Just sort of comparing it to my days in art school where we lived by critique from the teachers and peers. I don't think that there is a better way to improve than to hear what your peers have to say.
As far as listening to all this good music, I have a problem. I am on dialup and so I only have had the patience to listen to a few and they were good. I think we should just call it dialogue.
Bob

• Members

I agree with this...if we go thru the work of actually doing a song I would like to know if someone actually listened to it and didn't make a blanket statement that says..Sure was good this month...

thats just me...heck its hard to listen to 38 of em...but I did try and let each person know that I actually did listen to their song. It feels nice to be reconized at least for the effort.

Yeah, the feedback is nice, but I don't feel bad if someone doesn't choose my entry as one to comment on...there's a ton on here and I barely have the time to listen to them all myself.

Basically, I think that if people want to give others feedback, good or bad, then they should. By posting your music, you implicitly accept (and expect) feedback. That said, obviously feedback should be well-intentioned and the last thing anyone wants is one-upsmanship or rankings.

• Members

I have refrained from giving comments, good or bad, because not giving any comment at all for someone when giving good comments to another might be construed as a bad comment in itself (does it make sense to you?).

However, I'm all for constructive criticism. Better yet, a person giving a negative comment should also give a positive comment. Giving only negative or positive comments is not the best way to encourage anyone.

• Members

honestly, it takes long enough to prepare something and get it up there.

Add to this listening to 38 tunes times an average of perhaps 2 1/2 minutes, followed by 38 meaningful reviews...

most of us have jobs and families.

Plus, Sunday was a holiday for many people.

More power to you if you have time for this.

Start sending PMs and a good many mail boxes are full up.

Sorry, I didn't try to comment on any of them this time, but I actually did listen to most but not all of them.

• Members

I don't think anyone's looking for any deadlines.

Yes, Sunday was a holiday and we had people over. I listened to a few in the morning before getting ready, then a few more in the evening when everyone was gone. Finished up the rest of them (probably half) after work throughout the evening yesterday. I managed.

I'm not expecting everyone to do what I do, but I do it out of respect for everyone's effort. As the golden rule says, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Archived