VOM 15 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Listened to everybody so far and I will refrain from individual comment. Some got upset at critiques a couple of months ago. This is an open mic and to me it is to enjoy and I think everyone that has participated did a fine job. I'm sure Joe will really enjoy the disk when he hears it! I really would like to thank the forum for the opportunity to embarrass myself publicly. :lol: I'm sure the offers will just come piling in for me....or will it be pleas for me to go back to my day job?? Critique me if you like. I can take it. :cry::cry:

BigAl :D

• Members
Hi Folks and Joe, I hope you're doing better! I planned on doing a different blues song and at the last minute decided to do something else. Somehow I cut off the end of the last verse of music but at over five minutes I guess y'all will be happy I did. Fussenkuh did In the Pines in his style and I thought it would be great to show the difference in interpretation. One thing is for sure, we probably both tie for worst voice
:lol:
but it's all in fun. I used my new Parkwood PW370M for this one. Really enjoy playing the smaller git!

Here's the link:

http://www.akmusicvideo.com/audio/In_the_Pines2

BigAl
:thu:

Very cool Big Al :thu: I really enjoyed listening to your take on the song... even if it did get cut short at the end. I think it makes for a great listening experience to have a couple different takes on the same song posted in a single VOM! But, I think I still win for worst voice :lol:

Haven't had a chance to listen to any other entries yet, but, hopefully I'll get the opportunity to hear everyone later today and tomorrow.

• Members

Well, here's a little Diddy called, Joe's Diddy...

It's far from my best effort, but the hand keeps going thru its bad days and real bad days these past few weeks. I decided to use a drop D tuning and use 3 fingers and see what I could come up with.

Here's playing around with two songs....Tree Top Flyer (Steven Stills) and The Wizard(Spirit) and intermingling them...hence the "Joe's Diddy" title. I didn't add the vocals, I didn't work them out yet....But hopefully Joe will get a smile from it....

Edit......Oh yeah the guitar is my 35+ year old Hohner and as usual, no pick.

http://c70man.xanga.com/audio/02e4b3430677/

• Members

Wow. There's lots of good stuff here this month. I'm only able to half-listen to a lot of it because, well because life is happening and my attention is divided. So I'm trying to download what I can and make a playlist offline so that I can listen on my laptop or iPod later. Problem is that I can't DL the Youtube or Soundclick stuff. I only hope there was a way because I really want to revisit a lot of these and immerse myself in them when time allows.

• Members

It's great to see such a turnout for this very special VOM. Many thanks to everyone for participating and posting these excellent performances.

I know there will be some more submissions later this afternoon and evening, so I'll listen and comment again later, but here's my thoughts on the great tunes I've heard so far.

Garthman - What a wonderful old song. Very touching. Your voice is perfect for it and the git sounds lovely.

Tbryson - Wow - that is oh-so-pretty. Great job of putting a lovely poem to music. Love your arrangement.

BlackHatHunter - I'm diggin' this. Very cool song, excellent mix. Love this git work! Amazing how such great songs just come together so quickly.

Pschaffs - Very nice indeed. Your voice and playing are very well suited to this song. I'll be listening to this one more than once.

Rhancox - That song is one of my all time favorites and your performance of it is wonderful. The Yammie 12-er sounds sweet. I would have liked your vocals a little more to the front, but it's still hear you well enough to enjoy this.

FussenKuh - Very cool arrangement of a great old song. You made it your own. Again, your voice is one I would have liked to hear a bit more up front. Overall...Well done!

Michael Martin - As usual, your music takes me to a place that's not of this world. This song wraps around me, soft and deep like velvet cushions in front of the fireplace. :love:

Stackabones - How fun is that?!?! :D Great lyrics and a cool sounding Uke. Nice one, Stack! :thu:

Hypcollector - Very nice. Easy to imagine myself kicking back in a cool smokey-drinky jazz joint, just diggin' what I'm hearin'.

Kwakatak - I love it, Neil. An excellent performance of a very good song. I really like the little grin at the end of the vid, too.

Pascal - In a word........Exquisite!! Thanks ever so much for that!

MrMoe - I really enjoyed this. I'm diggin' this cool jangly git combined with your mellow vox. Very nice indeed.

Melodeous - A wonderful performance of one of my all-time favorite songs. :love: I listened twice because I couldn't resist singing the harmony along with you the second time around.

G6120 - Very moving, Gil. The depth of feeling with which you perform adds a special quality to your music.

TSMusic - Wow, Tony! That music is perfectly named. The opening drone of the bass pulled me right in and the driving beat took me for quite a ride. Interestingly, I've recently been trying to perfect this technique that you've just performed so expertly (and driving my poor roomies nuts while I'm at it...LOL).

Happy Man - A lovely, sensitive performance of a much-loved hymn. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Terry Allan Hall - I'm grinnin' and tappin' my toes, TAH. If I weren't wearing headphones, I do believe I'd grab one of my roomies and start dancing. What the heck...I think I'll just play this again through the speakers and dance anyway. :D

Busby99 - Wow! I hope we'll hear more from you, both at VOM and at the Annex. Your haunting vocals and excellent git work take me to a very cool place. Most cool, the way the vocal swells sound like they're coming from a distance without sounding overdriven or distorted. :thu:

Bigald18 - Your voice is perfect for this tune. I'm diggin' this interpretation and the mood it invokes - makes me want to kick back and slowly sip a good beer.

Old Guitar Player - Yet another fave tune of mine, and wonderfully done, OGP. :thu: Gotta love those bathroom acoustics - you and the git sound great! No run-through and no coffee beforehand? I am impressed!!

Fretplay - Simply lovely!! Definitely one I'll have on the CD player while I pour wine and light candles.

MattSkibaIsGod - I thoroughly enjoyed this, Dave. An excellent performance from you, as usual. :thu:

Freeman Keller - Rats...Putfile is down. I'll try again later. If Putfile doesn't come back up soon, please consider uploading this to box.net or a different host. We'd love to hear it.

Totamus - That was totally cool, Totamus. Pulled me right in - found myself swaying to the music and my toe didn't stop tapping until the end. :)

C70Man - I sure wish I could play fingerstyle like that. Hard to believe your hand has been giving you trouble. Well played and very enjoyable!

Whalebot - Good one, Whale! Yeah, the lyrics are a little hard to understand, but the git sounds mighty good and it's a nice performance overall. Very sweet tone that gutbox has. :)

Taylor Davis - I'm really liking this shimmery sounding git - some beautiful mids and highs here - and the vox is right on. The simplicity of this song greatly appeals to me. Well played!

• Members
I can't DL the Youtube or Soundclick stuff. I only hope there was a way because I really want to revisit a lot of these and immerse myself in them when time allows.

Use Firefox on YouTube. There is an addon called Download Helper. It will download any YouTube video. Enjoyed your song M8. How you stayed focused on it was amazing with all the activity going on. Your kids will be musical. They are starting to try and follow along with you. Keep playing and singing for them!

-=Charlie=- :thu:

Everybody else was great as well! Maybe someday....

P.S. Joe - get better soon! :wave:

• Members
Use Firefox on YouTube. There is an addon called Download Helper. It will download any YouTube video. Enjoyed your song M8. How you stayed focused on it was amazing with all the activity going on. Your kids will be musical. They are starting to try and follow along with you. Keep playing and singing for them!

-=Charlie=-
:thu:

Everybody else was great as well!
Maybe someday....

P.S. Joe - get better soon!
:wave:

Aw, c'mon, Charlie. VOM is all about folks getting together and having a great time making music, as you can see, so I hope we'll hear you soon!

• Members

Hey All, no chance to listen yet -- barely a chance to get this uploaded what with cooking a turkey, driving to get my mother (her condo's underground parkade and elevator shaft took on water with the local river conditions), trying to record something ...

Title: If I had a boat
Credit: Lyle Lovett
URL: http://www.siaris.net/music/IfIhadaboat.mp3

And to you, Joe, a speedy recovery to you my friend (and while recovering, listen to your doctor, those around you, and your own body ... but don't listen to your head -- if you are like 90% of the planet, your brain is a Big Fat Liar when it comes to assessing your own health -- "no really, I'm fine, I'm not pushing myself too hard" ... yeah right!).

cheers,
andrew

• Members
Hey All, no chance to listen yet -- barely a chance to get this uploaded what with cooking a turkey, driving to get my mother (her condo's underground parkade and elevator shaft took on water with the local river conditions), trying to record something ...

Title: If I had a boat

Credit: Lyle Lovett

URL:
http://www.siaris.net/music/IfIhadaboat

And to you, Joe, a speedy recovery to you my friend (and while recovering, listen to your doctor, those around you, and your own body ... but don't listen to your head -- if you are like 90% of the planet, your brain is a
Big Fat Liar
when it comes to assessing your own health -- "no really, I'm fine, I'm not pushing myself too hard" ... yeah right!).

cheers,

andrew

Wow - your plate is full today, and I'm sooo glad you found time to upload a tune for us and Joe.

I'm really diggin' the sound of the git - very full and well played indeed. I like this song - my toes are tappin' and your vox is great. Thanks for this one! :)

• Members

Frets99 - Wow...that little Gretsch sounds mighty good and the vid quality is great! Love the tune - very enjoyable.

Guitar Stringer - I've always loved that tune and you do a great job with it. Very nice, rich-sounding git...no doubt, one that you built. :thu:

• Members
OK, I have never done this; so this is my first effort. I know I am a hack:facepalm: so be gentle. Song is an original.
LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL
Used my Guild JF-30 and recorded this with NTrack. Play button is at the bottom of page. I hope you get well soon Joe!

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/bobstarr/Life%20is%20beautiful.htm

Excuse me??? Hack, you say? NOT !!

I loved the song. Wonderfully old-timey, well written, and very nicely performed. I hope this is the first of many tunes we hear from you. :)

• Members

I've not been playing much at all, what with the treatments & all but I figured I'd best throw something together for my buddy Joe. I'm short on time so I'm just uploading the mp3 to my site.

Shake A Snake is a tune I stole from Pinkard and Bowden some years ago and it's been awhile since I played it but, it being Easter Sunday & Neil mentioning Holy Rollers I figured what the hay.....

• Members
I've not been playing much at all, what with the treatments & all but I figured I'd best throw something together for my buddy Joe. I'm short on time so I'm just uploading the mp3 to my site.

Shake A Snake
is a tune I stole from Pinkard and Bowden some years ago and it's been awhile since I played it but, it being Easter Sunday & Neil mentioning Holy Rollers I figured what the hay.....

Great tune, Dak! I always enjoy your music. My toe is still tappin'. :D

• Members

Here we go...lots of good stuff...

garthman...unique and different. Good playing!

Blackhathunter...link didn't work

pschaafs...Nice dead stuff. I liked the guitar bass lines. Well done.

Samilyn...Love that song. An alltime great one. Good job.

rhancox...That 12 string sounded great. Good song choice.

Fusssenkuh...Don't know the song. Sing it loud and proud so we can hear ya. Good going!

Michael Martin...good original....Like the French touch.

Stack...Fun song and great Uke groove...you know so much about music and yet you pull off simple so well. I am jealous!

hypcollector...Cool sound. Good somber music. and cool delivery.

pascal...Guitar sounds beautiful. Great clear recording. Good job. Whats a Levoi?

mrmoe...You got your own style and sound. Always enjoy your stuff.

melodeous...Great playing. Nice work. I enjoy Paul Simons stuff. You did real good.

All for now.

• Members

This month's is another work in progress - Alonso Mudarra's Fantasia No. 10. I first heard this tune on a John Williams cd of mine and found the music in a book at the library. After learning this version, I saw several other videos on youtube where it appears the G string is tuned down to F# (which I guess was how the vilhuela was tuned), which allows you to ring out the runs instead of them sounding all choppy like in mine.

So here's my shot at it:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I hate to put up another video, but there's just no way I can do this song justice unless you hear it on a vilhuela played by a master. Here's Bream:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived