VOM 15 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Some more listens...

g6120...Good hook line. Get well Howard!

TSMusic...Winds of Flame.Cool song and playing.

Happy-Man...Great old standard. Your vocal was real nice and went well with the song.

Terry A Hall...Misbehavin. Great song.You sounded like you were being a trooper even if you weren't feeling well.

Busby 99...You were banging this one out.Good work. You sounded like you were really into it.

Bigald18...Link didn't work.

Old G Player...Wow. Great playing and singing. An all time great song.Digital clip in there was a little distracting but your playing and singing came thru nice and clear.. Pretty guitar.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LIKE I stated , I have listened to a lot of those tunes and only one link did'nt work.

I'm gonna go through the rest of them today.

some of the sangers seem to be almost whispering and that takes away from the music.

I was amazed at all the different styles and the renditions of olde favorites were fun to hear.

I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of em.

this is fun for me. like findeing a chest of treasures.

typeing of chests, did anyone see the Lil' KIM thang? where her boobs bust oot while she's daincing?

but seriously folkes, lots of cool musics and so many different styles to enjoy.

high fives all around.

• Members

First of all, I'd like to thank all the folks who commented on my "performance". I finally finished listening to all of the other entries and there's a lot of talent here. Just the opportunity to be a part of this exercise was inspiring to me.

I'm a 56 year old accountant who has been on stage twice in my life. There's no summer tour and no upcoming gigs; I'm just having fun. I spent six years in the Marines (where I bought my Yamaha FG 140 for $65.00 in 1972) and I can handle a little criticism. If I'm doing something that sucks, I figure it's better to hear it here than from some nasty drunk at a party or if, for some reason I do decide to take this to the next level, some drunk in a bar.

In a nutshell, thanks to all for listening. I'm looking forward to next month.

• Members

First of all, I'd like to thank all the folks who commented on my "performance". I finally finished listening to all of the other entries and there's a lot of talent here. Just the opportunity to be a part of this exercise was inspiring to me.

I'm a 56 year old accountant who has been on stage twice in my life. There's no summer tour and no upcoming gigs; I'm just having fun. I spent six years in the Marines (where I bought my Yamaha FG 140 for $65.00 in 1972) and I can handle a little criticism. If I'm doing something that sucks, I figure it's better to hear it here than from some nasty drunk at a party or if, for some reason I do decide to take this to the next level, some drunk in a bar.

Wow! Didn't realize you were such an old geezer! Whenever I see someone new on the forum I immediately think "19 year old kid." That's even

though I was 59 when I joined it. It was good to hear you on the forum. My big problem (besides the sarcastic sense of humor) is that I can't ever remember who played what! VOM's are fun though.

BigAl :)

• Members

56 years old?....punk kid!....we 60 somethings ought to know....

• Members

Hey, I just got finished listening to everyone's submission. Another great outing!!

One submission in particular really grabbed my attention.....those JAZZ CHORDS in Pascal's tune were beyond awesome!! :thu:

And Joe.....wishing you the speediest of recoveries!!!

• Members

I do listen to all of them but I'm in no hurry to. This VOM thing is not unlike the Annex to me as a listener. That we have these 2 outlets for making public our desires to entertain and show our development as players is like off-season practice for the home team. And, no, I'm not an armchair athlete but neither am I coach or critic. I've managed to hack my way to a certain level of playing but it has truly been a poke and hope effort all the way. I've pretty much peaked because, like my chess game, it's just a mindless diversion at this point with no genuine desire or effort to better my playing. Oh, BTW, has anyone heard the new chess move whoring out their Queen? It's worth 3 pawns. The bishop also has some new moves but you can read about them in the newspaper. Well, maybe they aren't so new. My point is it's all in how you choose to play the game and what you think you are entitled to for participating in it. There doesn't need to be a balanced reciprocity for everything we contribute. If that were true charities wouldn't work. The value lies in having contributed.

I apologize if my swipe at the bishop is taken seriously but it's only an observation.

• Members

I'm really glad to know people listen to my music, but I'm not offended if they don't.

Yup - I like feedback...good, bad or otherwise. It makes me a better artist, hearing what people think, learning what they want to hear.

But if somebody wants to simply say "I had a good time today" that's okay with me too.

It's really just like a live open mic...sometimes ya get feedback, sometimes ya don't.

It's all good with me.

• Members

Some of us have never been to, let alone played at, an open mic. We don't know what the etiquette is, or if there is one. For me this is kind of a toe in the water, I don't know what to expect or what is expected of me. But I have enjoyed this for whatever it is, and I listen to each and every contribution because I want to hear what other people, like me, choose to put out there.

• Members

I've pretty much peaked because, like my chess game, it's just a mindless diversion at this point with no genuine desire or effort to better my playing.

Really? You don't strike me as the type of person that is content to sit still. I could believe that you don't have the motivation to be learning new things in leaps and bounds, but I bet you are like me and do continuously learn new things slowly and organically.

• Members

Really? You don't strike me as the type of person that is content to sit still. I could believe that you don't have the motivation to be learning new things in leaps and bounds, but I bet you are like me and do continuously learn new things slowly and organically.

My best explanation for what I do is continually break out of the box. When a new one seems to be forming I move again. I don't leave anything behind but I don't want to stagnate either. These days when something seems to actually sound like an instrumental one could listen to I'll develop it and then inexplicably shelve it. I think the joy of playing lies in the discovery and the repetitive playing of that discovery is the box. But, I still enjoy the same chocolate frosted donuts that come in the same box. I just can't seem to apply the logic of the latter to the former.

• Members

It's really fun for me to hear all the different expertises involved in these songs.

One I wish to put in my set list that I had never heard before is

IF I HAD A BOAT.

the cat doing this one is at once both a great guitarist and singer.

I will learn this one.

THE SNAKE SONG is way cool in it's delivery. obviously done by a vet of the sangin' stage.

THE AIR SONG is very relaxing.

That Chocolate piece I'd like to hear when it's finished.

I did listen to every one(except that one that the link did'nt work) and I'm highly impressed with the level of talent.

so many styles and genres and the folkes who do it for the sheer joy of performing just give me a goode feeling.

the folkes who record and play and learn to sight read just make me believe that there is hope for this old world.

thanks all you cool cats and dogs for shareing your talents and songs.

• Members

ahhhh. saturday morning. another great vom. with the joe tributes and prayers lifted it carried an overall resurrection theme. very appropriate. from the debut of the dead to the garthman's fitting start, taking each line to it's final end. blakhathunter had another good one, but howl at the moon was incredible. mojo's making some tunes. oh, and God already forgave you, padre. mrmoe articulated healthy apathy very well with 3 chord cowboy, and is the perfect response for the critical or not ramblings. who cares. also, i dated that witch too, stack. i can't get her out of my mind. i know one thing, i'm getting a mini casette recorder. of course, the clear choice for me in the bestpostingofvominaprilinmyopinion is clearly brahmz with bach. that came from a guitar? i'm looping it right now. it will carry me through cleaning the garage this afternoon.

as for on the road with kerouac, the muse is clear. the beats made a huge impact on our culture, good and bad, and on the road is the roadmap for the mindset. some 3 chord cowboys made marks in that book. but don't get tangled up in beats. arms length, but a fasinating ride. i call it jazz, but some jazzman would give me a dirty look, i'm sure. but it's loose and fun to sing. heard live with stack's trademark, but elusive, teletonk lead, it's as dirty a song that ever was. wrote it about 3 years back. beatific. all comments on any of my selfish postings are appreciated, pondered, cared-less-for, giggled-at, and forgotten. Side note: not only does God forgive you, He forgets. What a deal.

Joe, hope you're progressing well. Ain't life great? Worth living. Worth fighting for. Because we have things to do. Glory comes in God's time. God's will be done. The heart of vom is beating like a drum.

• Members

Hello Everyone;

I am posting for Joe. We delivered this last VOM to him Thursday night and the nurses finally allowed the mp3 player in the room. So he spent most of Saturday listening to the submissions, all 38 of them, when they weren't poking or prodding him.

He asked me to post here how much he enjoyed the session. I even printed out these comment pages for him to browse. I think we may have embarrassed him a bit with all the 'Joe' dedications, but he still loved it all.

He even shared the recordings with the fellow next bunk over bragging about all you guys and the playing that goes on here. I think they were passing it around the room as I left, driving the nurses a bit nuts in the process. So you guys are the new entertainment on the cardiac floor. hahaha

At any rate his message was: "Top notch folks".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived