VOM 15 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Happy Easter! Some feedback for the first few:

Garthman: had not heard this before. Great story. I love the weave of the FS guitar and the vocal melody. Your voice is perfect for that traditional folk flavoring.

tbryson: What a great idea to set a poem to music. You're the Elton to her Bernie! The harmony vocals are a great add. I didn't read your post all the way through before listening, so it caught me off guard--it really works. I also like how you repeated the ending line for effect. I once thought of trying to adapt my all-time favorite poem, Edward Lear's "The Owl and the Pussycat". You've inspired me to actually go for it.

Black Hat Hunter: I got your website but couldn't find the song. Perhaps this got fixed later, in which case I'll find it as I move through.

pschaafs: Cool tune! I don't know this song, but I'm sure all my deadhead friends back in OR and GA do. Well-done overall; especially like the bright coloring of the guitar.

Samilyn: This tune a favorite of mine. Love your version. The 12 is dreamy, a perfect backing to your smoky romantical vocals. I think you go higher here than I've heard before (in chorus), and I was really taken by that new vocal dimension; you get huge mileage out of the contrast of your high and low vocal colorings. The vocal 'verb was just the right amount, as was the chorus on the 12.

rhancox: Another 12! Damn, I gotta dust mine off...nice job with a true classic. Now get that lady in your avatar to sing harmonies next time! :)

Fussenkuh: I love this song, So dark and potent. My mother had a Christy Mintrels record with a sanitized version of this song on it (think A Mighty Wind sappy chirpy folkiness), and then like you in the 90s I heard Kurt do it and oh my God that ain't nowhere nears the same song momma! I think Kurt attributes it to Leadbelly--I didn't realize it was way older than that. I loved your solo--it was perfect in its spareness and clarity. I like your voice for this one--whether or not that's your natural accent, it really works for this song. Just amp up the growl and bite here and there for a bit more menace...

Stack: Funny! I didn't get the name reference until I listened. Kind of a timely topic eh? And is there a sequel titled Fannie Mae, to commemorate your home loan? Love that f-hole uke, and enjoyed the tiki-hut backdrop too for that tropical effect.

mo' later...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok I have to be honest the VOM postings were something I never paid any attention to, Do not know why as I read pretty much all of the posts but in the past it was a posting series I just never checked out...for what ever reason it was.....

This was my loss, And something I will not ignore anylonger! I HAD NO IDEA WHAT A SHOW I WAS MISSING!
I will not go through with a play by play review for each of you, instead I wish so share a big WOW, I tip my hat to each and everyone of you, Listening to what each of you have done has been very enjoyable. For some of you it is the first time I have heard any of your efforts:thu:

I am so glad I came to my senses and started checking this out it is awesome! Thank you all very nice! Well Done! Bravo, I tip my hat to each of you!

• Members

Whoo Hoo !!!!! We now have a record breaking VOM for Joe, folks !! :D:D:D

Our previous record was 33 tunes, back on January 11, 2009.

Hats off to all of you for making this the biggest and best VOM ever!!

And I lift my glass to Gthom, for making the record-breaking post. :thu:

Now, the evening is still young in some parts of the good old U.S of A, so I hope to hear even more great tunes. Our esteemed Emcee, Stackabones, doesn't turn off the lights until midnight, and cuts everyone a little slack too, so there's plenty of time for folks to post a tune.

• Members

Garthman- Excellent playing first off, and second, your voice always impresses me. You remind me a lot of those blokes from the Watersons.

Tbryson- nice job on this one. Have you heard Phil Ochs' songification of the poem The Highwayman? It's killer.

BHH- I can't find your song. :idk:

Pschaafs-That's some great pickin and singin.

Samilyn- One of my favorite Joni Mitchell songs. Nice recording, too. :thu:

rhancox- good job. That 12 string sounds really full.

Fussenkuh- Nice take on this song. Your Epi sounds killer. I've just started playing this song a lot lately.

Michael- Love the lyrics, especially the French bits.

Stack- You are the master of humorous, endearing songs. That uke is awesome.

Hypcollector- very intriguing style. I dig it.

Neil- excellently done and good job not letting those little hecklers phase you. :D

Pascal- glad you joined us. I was anxious to hear if that guitar looks as good as it sounds. It does. Masterful job; it sounds beautiful.

MrMoe- I always love your songs. you are a masterful lyricist. :thu:

Joe- Lovely rendition of possibly my favorite S&G tune. Your pickin is top-notch.

Gil- Another knockout song. You and your friend should be proud. :thu:

TSMusic- Those are some seriously neat chord changes. Well played.

Happy-Man- glorious. Minimal and beautiful. I loved every second of this one.

Terry- as others stated already, that guy is a great player. You sound good together. :thu:

busby99- welcome to the VOM. An impressive first offering. Great job.

OGP- sounds awesome, my friend. All you fellas are really bringin your A-game in the guitar department on this one.

fretplay- Another tasty entry. You guys are putting me to shame. :thu:

Freeman- putfile is down, but I can't wait to hear this one.

Totamus- beautiful tune.

C70- Sounds good. I'm sure it'll make him smile.

Whalebot- You've got something going on Brett. I have all your videos in my favorites. Like Sammy said, that nylon string sounds really good.

Taylor Davis- Great recording of a really cool song. :)

jandrew- stellar rendition. I'm not a huge LL fan, but this song had me rethinking that. Nice voice.

Frets- That little guitar sounds really good. Nice piece.

GS- Love that song. :thu: Your version sounds nice and old-timey. Lots of passion in it.

Starrshine- you sir, are not a hack. Well done.

Dak- got me chuckling. You're the real deal. :thu:

gthom- Very nice job.

Nice job everybody.

• Members

A couple of folks have commented that Putfile is down - I also put Dark Was the Night in my folder at the Annex. I can't link directly to it but if you want to hear a little sliding on the Stella, thats where it is.

not sure why we can't link, from dad's notes linking is just the source location plus filename.ext like this:

http://www.thekrashsite.com/hcag/mp3s/Freeman/DarkWastheNight.mp3

• Members

HAPPY EASTER!!!!!

(He is Risen, Alleluia!)

This VOM is great...

And I will apologize to everybody, but I will not be able to post anything, I caught a cold in the past few days and today I used the last of my voice at church (I'm the music minister - 2 masses today) and the last of my strength too (Holy Week, go figure :facepalm:...)

next one..

and I repeat to myself.... I SHOULD HAVE RECORDED SOMETHING PRIOR TO and post it today....

oh well...

but thanks everybody for sharing your talent with us..

God bless y'all and Joe, you are in our prayers!

Omar :thu:

• Members

Northstar - Wow - You really make that 12-er sing. Yup - "dynamic" is a perfect description for this tune and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

Queequeg - I'm diggin' that tune. The git sounds full and lovely and your playing is superb. Well done, my friend.

• Members

Air on the G String by J.S. Bach

This is for Joe.

Some research studies report that music played at 60 beats per minute promotes relaxation and alpha brainwave activity. I don't know if these findings are conclusive, since there's more to music than the bpm rate. But just in case there's anything to it, I used GarageBand's metronome and recorded this piece at a strict 60 bpm.

I'm playing along with a MIDI file that I created from the string quartet score. I transposed the entire piece down to G major, and substituted an electric piano for the string parts. I'm playing the Violin I part and using a 1.5mm flatpick on my LaPatrie Hybrid classical. The microphone is a Samson CO2H.

• Members
Pascal
- glad you joined us. I was anxious to hear if that guitar looks as good as it sounds. It does. Masterful job; it sounds beautiful.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm only 60% happy with the clip myself, but since an imperfect take is more representative of where my playing is than a perfect take, I'm quite happy to share it with you in all humility.

And tbryson, a Levoi is a guitar. A Selmer copy (think Django Reinhardt) by UK luthier John Levoi.

DSC00028.jpg
DSC00018.jpg

John lives in a village close to where my house is in the UK, and has worked on several of my guitars. A great luthier, very good rhythm jazz guitar player, and really nice chap. I was lucky enough to find a very good deal on one of his guitars (2nd hand). It is the best souvenir possible for the 3.5 years I spent in Lincolnshire, UK. :)

• Members
To those who had issues getting to the song, please go to
www.MojoTwanger.com
and click on the "listen" link. In the list of songs available, you will find this month's entry.

You can also right-click on the link provided above, and do an "Open URL" on your favorite MP3 player, and paste the link in it
:)

Thanks!

Since people keep saying they can't find the song, I figured I'd repost this...

• Members
First two sentences are ok by me.

Third one would be better this way: "Les seuls jardins que je vois sont dans tes yeux".

You got it the wrong way around: the French version was the original. ;)

Michael's translations are very good indeed... even more for someone who says he can't speak any French.

I would have translated the two last verses this way, myself:

I love you madly (Je t'aime

• Members
You got it the wrong way around: the French version was the original. ;)

Michael's translations are very good indeed... even more for someone who says he can't speak any French.

I would have translated the two last verses this way, myself:

I love you madly (Je t'aime

• Members

Well that is beautiful...good thing you own it. It needs a good player.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm only 60% happy with the clip myself, but since an imperfect take is more representative of where my playing is than a perfect take, I'm quite happy to share it with you in all humility.

And tbryson, a Levoi is a guitar. A Selmer copy (think Django Reinhardt) by UK luthier John Levoi.

DSC00028.jpg
DSC00018.jpg

John lives in a village close to where my house is in the UK, and has worked on several of my guitars. A great luthier, very good rhythm jazz guitar player, and really nice chap. I was lucky enough to find a very good deal on one of his guitars (2nd hand). It is the best
souvenir
possible for the 3.5 years I spent in Lincolnshire, UK.
:)

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

Archived