NGD - Martin D-16GT

kwakatak

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A quick question... I don't want to hijack the thread, just compare the fretboard:

Hey, congrats! I'm sure you'll be happy with it. As to micarta, I'll take it over rosewood any day. I prefer ebony over rosewood, and micarta is so close to ebony in looks and feel that I wish it was available as a substitute for rosewood on other guitars (Fender Strats in particular).

What about Hagstrom guitar's fingerboards. Do you think it's close to micarta?

They say that: "The fretboard is made from Hagstrom

• Members

I'm still looking for a Martin dread with a little less bass..my d-16gt sure is'nt shy in the bass, a little heavy if anything.

Glad you finally got it home. Enjoy!

I sure am, JT. As it stands now I've got 3 decent acoustics and I'm hoping sometime in the future I can jam with my 2 sons. The older one is getting close to the age when I started taking an interest in playing musical instruments.

A Martin dread with less bass though? Hmm, that's a stumper. Even the new D-1 has the signature bass. If anything I think the 16s and below have more midrange than the standard series. Just for fun I picked up that HD-35 one last time and man oh man that thing sounds like a drum.

If you want something a little mellower have you considered another brand? I find Yamaha LLs to be of excellent build quality, though they sound a bit more "refined" with a tamer bass response. The same goes for Larriv

• Members
I sure am, JT. As it stands now I've got 3 decent acoustics and I'm hoping sometime in the future I can jam with my 2 sons. The older one is getting close to the age when I started taking an interest in playing musical instruments.

A Martin dread with less bass though? Hmm, that's a stumper. Even the new D-1 has the signature bass. If anything I think the 16s and below have more midrange than the standard series. Just for fun I picked up that HD-35 one last time and man oh man that thing sounds like a drum.

If you want something a little mellower have you considered another brand? I find Yamaha LLs to be of excellent build quality, though they sound a bit more "refined" with a tamer bass response. The same goes for Larriv

• Members

FWIW I'm watching the humidity like a hawk. It's like 15 outside and the furnace is going non-stop. I had the guitar out for an hour (while playing it) and noticed the top wasn't perfectly flat. I have a PW soundhole humidifier in it and have taken the hygrometer out of my Larriv

• Members

Nope, no pics yet. I can't find my camera at the moment.

BTW, I'm rethinking about where I'm gonna store my guitars. Previously I had 3 hard cases and a gig bag (2 acoustics, 2 electrics) leaning in the corner of a rather high-traffic living/play room but I'm rethinking that. Now there are 5 cases and I'm sure that's gonna be a bigger target for my destructive kiddies and scornful wife. The dining room is gated off and the cases would be out of sight - plus it'd make a better room for practicing in when there's another adult around to mind the kids.

• Members

Nope, no pics yet. I can't find my camera at the moment.

BTW, I'm rethinking about where I'm gonna store my guitars. Previously I had 3 hard cases and a gig bag (2 acoustics, 2 electrics) leaning in the corner of a rather high-traffic living/play room but I'm rethinking that. Now there are 5 cases and I'm sure that's gonna be a bigger target for my destructive kiddies and scornful wife. The dining room is gated off and the cases would be out of sight - plus it'd make a better room for practicing in when there's another adult around to mind the kids.

Remember what the air force does when their base is under threat of attack - disperse the aircraft to avoid catastrophic losses.

• Members
FWIW I'm watching the humidity like a hawk. It's like 15 outside and the furnace is going non-stop. I had the guitar out for an hour (while playing it) and noticed the top wasn't perfectly flat. I have a PW soundhole humidifier in it and have taken the hygrometer out of my Larriv

• Members

She's setlling nicely in with the family. I wish I could find my camera because I'm dying to take a family picture of them all. I had the D-16GT back to back with my Takamine last night and they made a nice pair. The rosewood Tak has a little more shimmer in tone but the mahogany Martin has more punch and sustain. The tonal balance is very similar though, with the Tak showing a surprising fidelity to its Martin inspiration.

Visually they are exactly the same size, so it's like they're long-lost relatives. The Tak has that nice aged honey-colored top and its rosewood is that nice reddish-purples whereas the Martin has a nice pale, shimmery yet mineral-streaked Sitka top with some nice silking to it. The mahogany is plain as Martin can make it, dying it red and wrapping it in black, making it almost evil-looking but the glossed natural top sets it off nicely.

Neither are as pretty as my Larriv

• Members

Well alright, congrats again!

What kind of tuners? Thought I heared they were switching to Grovers again?

I'm not sure. They look like Ping minis to me. I'm not in love with them but they're all right for now. I saw somebody on UMGF put Grover Sta-Tite 18:1s on theirs along with a Greven tort. guard and it looked tasty. I still want to do that with my OM-03R too though.

• Members
. . . Now I'm starting to wonder what I can do to make it my own? For starters, I want to peel off that pickguard and put on a nice beveled tear-shaped Greven tort guard before the top starts to tan with age. . . .

That's easy: Carve your name on it somewhere. :p Seriously, I think it became "yours" the moment you brought it home and I'm sure you'll find a way to personalize it.

• Members

According to the Martin website that's "genuine American mahogany." There's no ribboning, though the sitka top has some noticeable runout. I'm fine with it though because the grain is nice and straight with some decent silking. Not as nice as my Larriv

Archived