NGD - Martin D-16GT

kwakatak

• Members

You know, I thought about putting my Christmas guitar on layaway. Then I decided that, since I had the money, going back and forth making payments was silly, and just took it home. I've been playing it every night after the kids go to bed. They still don't know I have it. :D

You've been saving for this longer than I did. But you're a big boy. Make up your own mind.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Imagine the look on my face when one of my kids pushes it over for the first time. Next week they'll both be home for the holidays and odds are I won't trust myself to even play with my new toy. The Tak has been getting a lot of play mostly because I don't feel the need to worry about it getting banged around. It's got its battle scars and wears them as badges of honor. OTOH the Martin is cherry and it will be a little while before I have the nerve to play it when I'm home alone with the kiddies.

Yeah, I know I said it'd be a workhorse and all, but this is only my second brand new acoustic and second solid wood guitar to boot. My Larriv

• Members

Lets see....the kids are taken care of...mom's taken care of...the wife is taken care of.......GEE I wonder who's next?

If you can afford it, do it. If you can't, that's ok too, do the layaway. The guitar shop seems to be willing to work with you. New strings, a new capo, a polishing cloth, an extra set of strings and you are ready to go...life's way too short to worry about waiting for the right time to do this or that.

Take last night for instance, I was supposed to play guitar at a wine party last night, but decided last minute to make a chocolate mousse cake....so I ended up slicing my right thumb up making chocolate curls...it freakin hurts, and I can't play a thing with my thumb right now. So I guess the moral of the story is.....if you wait long enough before doing something and do something else...Murphy's Law says something {censored}ty will happen. You can count on it...
Don't waste the opportunity....besides its a Martin...it will always be a Martin...one of the few guitar investments that will never go sour.

Merry Xmas and time to get that last present for under the tree....Have Santa sign it and no one will know.

• Members

I dont think he wants to be the centre of attention.

Unless a person is really into guitars, they have no idea what they sell for. My wife for instance, doesn't have a clue. I could tell her I just bought a 1947Gibson J45 for $200 and she would say...."well, if you think it was a good deal".

Having another guitar in my house is just the issue..."where are you going to put it?" I buy and sell guitars all the time. I find and buy guitars for friends 4 to 5 times a year...to me its fun and I get to try guitars I would never normally have available to me....plus it helps on gas attacks. (or causes them?)

Anyway, I don't think its about being the center of attention in his house. To most non-guitarists its just another guitar.

• Members

It will be more special having it as a gift for Christmas and your wife and kids knowing how much it means to you vs in bring it home in January when it will be looked at as just another purchase.

Thats a lovely and more compassionate view, just because Ive got two stepdaughters who fight over everything doesnt mean every other family is the same.

Sorry guess I was a bit blinkered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Unless a person is really into guitars, they have no idea what they sell for. My wife for instance, doesn't have a clue. I could tell her I just bought a 1947Gibson J45 for $200 and she would say...."well, if you think it was a good deal".

Having another guitar in my house is just the issue..."where are you going to put it?" I buy and sell guitars all the time. I find and buy guitars for friends 4 to 5 times a year...to me its fun and I get to try guitars I would never normally have available to me....plus it helps on gas attacks. (or causes them?)

Anyway, I don't think its about being the center of attention in his house. To most non-guitarists its just another guitar.

I paid it off and brought it home today. Pics soon.

• Members

Thanks, all. Things are a little busy right now but I'll try and shoot some pics.

BTW - I'm a little nervous now. It's not buyer's remorse per se inasmuch as I'm afraid that I may be the only one here excite about it. The case has already been knocked down and danced on once buy my 5 year-old son. :eek:

• Members

Hey, congrats! I'm sure you'll be happy with it. As to micarta, I'll take it over rosewood any day. I prefer ebony over rosewood, and micarta is so close to ebony in looks and feel that I wish it was available as a substitute for rosewood on other guitars (Fender Strats in particular).

• Members

Thanks, all. It's a great little guitar and I've spent the better part of the evening comparing it to my lawsuit Takamine yet again. It's obviously different on many levels but the two sound very similar, though the Martin is sure to improve with age whereas the Tak is fully-seasoned at 36 years old. More on this later when HC 2.0 is up. Most likely I'll have to launch a new thread where I'll include pics, clips, and a detailed review - as well as a comparison/contrast with my old lawsuit Tak. You'd be surprised how Martin-like that old D-28 doppelganger really is. For starters, the D-16GT and the F360 are exactly the same dimensions, and believe it or not but the Tak has more bass.

Archived