NGD - Martin D-16GT

kwakatak

• Members

Well, not technically. I put 25% down on one at my local shop and put it on 60 day layaway. It's only been in the shop for 3 months and I've looked it over with a fine tooth comb and am satisfied that it's "clean."

The specs on Martin's web site are ambiguous but the back & sides appear to be mahogany and not sapele, and the grain on the neck matches, meaning that it's also mahogany and not Spanish cedar. I have no problem with the micarta bridge and fretboard, but it's not all about the style - it's the tone that sold me. I've wanted a Martin for several years now but can't afford a D-35 and won't settle for a D-1.

I compared it to both models, as well as the dread I currently own and I'm satisfied that this is a good step up. It's not my Holy Grail by any stretch but I'm in need of a new dread for playing at open mics or in church and it's sufficiently different in tone from my Larrivee OM that I can justify the cost.

So I bring it home in February - or maybe even before. I have the money set aside but didn't want to abuse the credit card too much this month being that it's the holidays and all. Most likely once the bills are paid in January I'll write a check for the balance and bring it home. Then I'll consider on putting a pickup in it and a bone saddle as well as a couple of aesthetic upgrades like a Greven pickguard, new bridge pins and tuner buttons.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats well played.

How long have you been after it?

I remember a thread of yours, was it a year ago already? When you asked someone to talk you down from maxing your credit card.

Glad youve got it at a time when everybodys happy, I ve seen a few good deals over the last year but the thought of the rest of the family thinking selfish sod has put me off, I know thats not the case with yourself...just saying.

• Members

Hehe - I've only been looking at this one for several months. I've wanted a HD-35 but I'm not likely to have that kind of money any time soon but I still wanted a Martin. Like I said, I compared it to the HD-35 and then again to what I already own - which is essentially a Martin dread clone - and it seemed like a good step up. I was looking at a Yamaha LL6 and a Larriv

• Members

Hey, good going! ...'bout time!!

Mine has the hog b&s, and Spanish cedar neck. Was told by a dealer that Spanish cedar looks "cartoony" compared to mahogany. I guess I can vouch for that. I think a sure sign of a hog neck is if it has wings.

How much gas money for driving back and forth to the music store?

Archived