NGD - Martin D-16GT

kwakatak

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just for curiosity's sake - and because someone once suggested it - I did a comparison video/H2 recording of my Tak and the new Martin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeY9ip_hemg

The Martin actually has heavier strings and both are tuned down a 1/2 step, but I expect that the Martin will "open up" in the next several months. The Tak is as good as it's gonna get and may actually start sliding downhill.

• Members

Just for curiosity's sake - and because someone once suggested it - I did a comparison video/H2 recording of my Tak and the new Martin:

The Martin actually has heavier strings and both are tuned down a 1/2 step, but I expect that the Martin will "open up" in the next several months. The Tak is as good as it's gonna get and may actually start sliding downhill.

Martin sounds better, and I am a lawsuit Tak fan....the Tak shouldn't degrade any, in fact it should get better...try changing out the strings, maybe try something new. I just threw on some DAddario's that are kinda growing on me.

• Members

Great choice. I absolutely love my D-16GT I got back in March of last year. Everytime I pick it up it puts a smile on my face. Sounds incredible.

The micarta bothers me esthetically more than anything. I just think up close it looks a little cheezy. But the guitar sounds awesome, and I really do like the feel of the fingerboard, so I have no real problem with it. It's the sound and feel that matter in the long run.

Enjoy that Martin, it's a good one.

• Members

I liked the Martin better. I think that model has a Taylor sound to it. When I have played them it reminded of those. Of the Martins I have played it is the only one that I have noticed do that but I like that sound...IDK about more bass later. For me it wouldn't matter I like the way it is.

• Members

I'm not sure. They look like Ping minis to me. I'm not in love with them but they're all right for now. I saw somebody on UMGF put Grover Sta-Tite 18:1s on theirs along with a Greven tort. guard and it looked tasty. I still want to do that with my OM-03R too though.

I've thought about changing the tuners in the OM-21. I would like something with a higher ratio to be able to dial in the tuning a bit better.

Glad you've got the Martin, Neil. Congratulations!

Bill

• Members

Hey, Bill. Good to see you! I see you're still hanging around the Larrivee forum. Any chance of getting another one day?

I visit the Larrivee forum occasionally, but since I am Larrivee-less (sorry Q! ;)), it's not very often. I would love to have another Larrivee, perhaps an LSV-11, but it's hard to justify financially with more pressing obligations.

FWIW, I prefer my OM-03R over Martin OMs. I'd love to get another Larriv

• Members

Hey Neil... give the Martin a little time... she'll open up and get a bit bassier. I havent read the entire thread but remember a solid Mah body will be brighter, have more attack esp. when new. I traded a Hasselblad for a d16GT about 10 years ago. Ive found personally I just like a rosewood guitar better hence my Martin Clapton which is now gone for my Huss & Dalton. I still love my inexpensive Seagull cherry and cedar 12 string. I still say she plays and sounds better than most 12 strings at 4 or 5 times the cost. You might want to try a few different sets of strings. I prefer John Pearce's on my dreads, D'Adarrio coated on my 12 string and good old Ernie Ball's on my SG.

BTW Ive stopped by the new Guitar store in Pine many times and never catch them open. is it a part time thing ?

Robb

• Members

Hey, Robb!

I have zero regrets with this selection. I only wish I had more time to play it, that's all. I actually feel a little spoiled about having 3 guitars to choose from - but I still want more. Frank's got me thinking about cedar tops. I think one would suit my playing style well. :freak:

• Members
Hey, Robb!

I have zero regrets with this selection. I only wish I had more time to play it, that's all. I actually feel a little spoiled about having 3 guitars to choose from - but I still want more. Frank's got me thinking about cedar tops. I think one would suit my playing style well.
:freak:

I understand perfectly, Kwak!

There is this used Tanglewood TW-45N-NS in mint condition in my area for 365, maybe a little less. I really don't need it but... Yeah, you know what I mean.

Archived