NGD - Martin D-16GT

kwakatak

• Members

Nice guitar, kwak. Hope you get her home soon!

You too. I like those bigger Taylors a lot. I especially like the GS7 with the cedar top. I had to jump on this one though since it's mahogany and all. At a recent Martin clinic I heard that Martin was starting to run low on genuine mahogany, so even the 18s might be changing over to sapele soon. This D-16GT sounds better than the D-18 that was in the same store though, so I think I made a good choice.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You too. I like those bigger Taylors a lot. I especially like the GS7 with the cedar top. I had to jump on this one though since it's mahogany and all. At a recent Martin clinic I heard that Martin was starting to run low on genuine mahogany, so even the 18s might be changing over to sapele soon. This D-16GT sounds better than the D-18 that was in the same store though, so I think I made a good choice.

Happy NGD to the botha yous!

OST, that Taylor is beautiful.

Kwak, in general I prefer the 16GT to the standard 18. The scalloped braces, probably - I like me some bass. JT's D-16GT is a tone monster. Hope you enjoy the hell outta yours - you've sure waited long enough. :thu:

• Members

A big CONGRATS to you!!! I agree with above though... go get the damn thing! Interesting on the micarta though. Why do they put micarta on the 16 series with hog neck and EIR on the 1 series with stratobond neck? It doesn't matter to me these days, I just like the way they sound. I'm done buying for specs, bling, looks, or whatever.

But then again, I like the DX1's also... I thing they have decent tone and volume but will out live us all without needing a neck reset down the road.

Again, congrats on the new 16!

• Members

Personally, I'd take micarta over rosewood. I'm sure it wears better. The rosewood fretboard on my 36 year-old Takamine is pretty groovy. Not "like far out, man" groovy, I mean as in it's sunk in in spots.

You guys seriously have me thinking about springing it early but I seriously do want to wait until after the holidays. I just felt like I needed to jump on it before somebody else snatched it up, that's all.

• Members
Go get it out of layaway. Pay the interest on the extra month to pay it off. It will be a small amount to pay to ease your mind.
:cool:

Besides it's Christmas.....Merry Christmas.....to you, from you.
:thu:

I actually have the funds. I'm playing a psychological trick on myself to fool myself into thinking I'm actually saving money. Think of it as a "guitar mortgage" - only there's no interest involved.

• Members

I actually have the funds. I'm playing a psychological trick on myself to fool myself into thinking I'm actually saving money. Think of it as a "guitar mortgage" - only there's no interest involved.

OK, stop being silly and go pick the guitar up.

Ask the guy if he will knock a few bucks off if you take it early.

• Members

Jeez, Neil!

Go get that guitar ASAP!! You'll be happy you did and you'll make people around you happy. It's the Holidays!!! It's the perfect time to get it! You play so well, people will enjoy hearing you playing that fine piece of wood!!

I think you deserve it and you said it yourself: you've got the funds!!

Now just take the kids with you this morning and go get that new Martin!!

Y'a know... no pics, no goats! No goats, no Martin! No Martin, no super-happy Neil! No super-happy Neil, no goats!!

You don't want to displease the spirits, don't you?????? :evil::evil::evil:

Pourquoi souhaiterais-tu te rendre

• Members

Not to throw a wrench in, but the D-18 will take 5+ years to open, but when it does....bingo. I think the build of the D16's are the reason they sound so good right out of the box. I'm noticing that even on my RK I just got. I'm making a cd and noting the strings I used. Then in a few years, I'm going to restring with the same set and redo the songs....see if I can tell any difference. I'm hoping a year or two of playing produces some results.

I'm too old to ever purchase a new Martin. I would shoot for an 80's-90's when the day comes. Then again, you could always put the guitar in front of the stereo all day for a couple of months and see if that doesn't help. And if I can't afford a D-18, it will be the D16....you made a great choice.

For whatever reasons you haven't picked up your guitar yet, don't worry about it. You have waited this long, what's another month....well, 31 days, or 744 hours, or 44,640 minutes...nevermind:thu:

• Members

"...FWIW, I don't feel like I'm done with my Christmas shopping just yet so I'd feel funny about spoiling myself completely without picking up something else for my mom and my wife..."

Ah guilt...it can be a wonderful thing for those around us.:thu:

• Members

FWIW, I don't feel like I'm done with my Christmas shopping just yet so I'd feel funny about spoiling myself completely without picking up something else for my mom and my wife.

Ok, stop making excuses.

You deserve the guitar. You work hard taking care of your kids and you are a good husband.

You've been waiting a LONG time to replace the old Tak.

Go get the damn thing out of layaway and record us a Christams tune already.

Don't make me drive down there and kick you in the butt....;)

Besides, it's your late birthday present, right? You waited long enough.

Archived