D'Addario EJ16's vs. D'Addario EXP 16's

Hudman

• Members

I've been using D'Addario EXP 16's exclusively for the past year. Prior to that I used Elixir Nanoweb PB's. I switched to EXP's because I like them better tone-wise and they feel better to me.

I decided to replace the EXP 16's on the Yamaha LL6 with EJ16's. I put the EJ16's on it 5 days ago. Initially I didn't like the tone. I can best describe it as "bright". After 3 days the tone settled down a bit. I like the tone much better now, but I can honestly say the EXP's are superior. They sound great on day one and stay consistent for several weeks. They feel softer and a tad more slinky for some reason. The bass response and harmonics seem better too.

I have 4 sets of the EJ16's and 1 set of EXP's on hand. I was hoping I would prefer the EJ16's over the EXP's.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with EJ16's and EXP 16's?

• Members

I used both of those in Thailand, home of corrosion and rust. I put some exps on my git to see if they would last more than 2 weeks. String broke on the beach 4 days after I put em on. "Last a couple of years"? I would be ecstatic if they lasted a month!!! BTW I really like D'addarios, use em all the time...

• Members

I use the EJ17's (I think, they're the light version) and like them after they've had a few weeks to settle in. Then they should be fine for a couple years, or however long it takes one to break.

Holy shit! :lol:

I am lucky to get 6-8 weeks out of EJ16's before they start sounding dead and have intonation issues.

The EJ17's are mediums.

• Members

I've been using D'Addario EXP 16's exclusively for the past year. Prior to that I used Elixir Nanoweb PB's. I switched to EXP's because I like them better tone-wise and they feel better to me.

I decided to replace the EXP 16's on the Yamaha LL6 with EJ16's. I put the EJ16's on it 5 days ago. Initially I didn't like the tone. I can best describe it as "bright". After 3 days the tone settled down a bit. I like the tone much better now, but I can honestly say the EXP's are superior. They sound great on day one and stay consistent for several weeks. They feel softer and a tad more slinky for some reason. The bass response and harmonics seem better too.

I have 4 sets of the EJ16's and 1 set of EXP's on hand. I was hoping I would prefer the EJ16's over the EXP's.

I've had the same experience, although not on the same guitar. My Alvarez has EXPs and I put EJ16s on my Yamaha. Same thoughts you had. The EXPs DO seem "softer" and more "slinky", to use your words and I think they sound better too. They cost a little more but I feel they're worth the extra price. Downside...when I bought the EJ16s, I got a 3-Pak of 'em.....now I have two sets left that I'll probably never use because, for me, it's EXPs from now on.

• Members

I've had the same experience, although not on the same guitar. My Alvarez has EXPs and I put EJ16s on my Yamaha. Same thoughts you had. The EXPs DO seem "softer" and more "slinky", to use your words and I think they sound better too. They cost a little more but I feel they're worth the extra price. Downside...when I bought the EJ16s, I got a 3-Pak of 'em.....now I have two sets left that I'll probably never use because, for me, it's EXPs from now on.

OK, I'm not losing my mind....or we both lost our minds together. Either way it's nice to have company. :lol:

I got a killer deal on 10 packs of EXP 16's on Ebay a while back. Now I'm down to 1 pack.

• Members

I've used both on both of my guitars. I just put the EJ's on after having the EXP's on for about 4-5 months.

I like the EXPs better for the feel, as you said Hudman. But I don't really notice much difference in tone. But that's just my ears. I like both right from the start.

• Members

Exactly the same experience, as a matter of fact. I've used EXP16s on a regular basis for several years, and I've come to like them quite a bit. My local mom-and-pop shop doesn't carry EXPs, though, so I got stuck using a pack of EJ16s a few months ago. I prefer the tone and feel of the coated strings over the uncoated ones by far.

• Members

I use the EJ40's, love these nice worm and mellow tone, these are the strings that stoped the experimenting phase i love the feel on them too.

I know a lot of guys like the EJ16, but i find them to be to bright for my taste, i like more darker, warmer, mellow tone.

• Members

Agreed. I prefer the EXP's. They sound great, feel great, and last forever.

• Members

My religion prevents me from using coated strings, not to mention i'm allergic...sort of like I only eat Kosher foods. Anyway...

I use EJ-16s on all my guitars. I like the gauges, which is big factor for me. The low E is 53, and the G is..23 or 24, and feels more evan across the strings to me than other brands using 54 and 25. I do however, replace the B (16) with a 17, also for feel.

But I like how they sound and they're cheap.

• Members

I can't stand coated strings. I've tried to get into it a few times and just can't deal with it. I love plain p/b & think they sound best after they've had a few days to settle in and lose some of the initial brightness. Used to change my strings much more often, but I've grown lazy or tin-eared or poor or all of the above and now tend to change strings maybe once every two months.

So Hud is wrong and a liar. :poke:

• Members

DR Rares

Great strings. :thu: I like these and D'Addarios. I've just dropped down to 12's, though, after a long affair with 13's (I'm getting too old and frail for that shit), and D'Addario doesn't seem to have a 12/54 set (EJ16's are 12/53), so I'm stickin' with DR Rares for now.

RotoSound also makes some nice P/B strings, and they are often surprisingly inexpensive for strings made in the UK.

• Members

I like both the uncoated and the coated D'Addarios, but I agree that the coated ones sound a little bright at first. On the guitar that I gig with I use EXPs for the longevity, but on my bedroom guitar I use the uncoated ones for the slightly less zingy tone. I've been using D'ads for at least ten or 15 years now, on both my acoustics and electrics, and have never found any reason to switch.

• Members

Uncoated strings only last about 2 weeks where I live, so I only use them occasionally (usually EJ's). Thank goodness for the goodness of D'Addario EXPs and Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Phos strings!

I used to feel the same was as knockwood about coated strings, but that was before, when they sucked (like Elixers still do ;) ).

• Members

I like both the uncoated and the coated D'Addarios, but I agree that the coated ones sound a little bright at first. On the guitar that I gig with I use EXPs for the longevity, but on my bedroom guitar I use the uncoated ones for the slightly less zingy tone. I've been using D'ads for at least ten or 15 years now, on both my acoustics and electrics, and have never found any reason to switch.

Wow, we are exactly the opposite.

I think EJ16's (uncoated) are WAY too bright at first and a little too bright until they are almost dead (that takes 4-6 weeks for me - my hands never sweat and I keep them clean).

I think the EXP 16's sound great from the moment they are on and they last 2 - 3 times longer.

• Members

Uncoated strings only last about 2 weeks where I live, so I only use them occasionally (usually EJ's). Thank goodness for the goodness of D'Addario EXPs and Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Phos strings!

I used to feel the same was as knockwood about coated strings, but that was before, when they sucked (like Elixers still do
;)
).

Uncoated strings last about 30 songs before they drop below acceptable sounding. That's when Elixirs are just hitting their stride.

My Cort custom shop came with EXPs on it and they sounded terrible. Made it sound like it was trying to be a classical. Now it's Elixir Nano PB and DR Rare for that baby. :poke:

Archived