VOM 28 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 9, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pine Apple: No fancy guitar work, but it perfectly supports your voice. Great rhythm playing, lots of space. Dug the harmonica too.

tbryson: Sometimes the happy stuff is the hardest to write, huh? At least it is for me. I liked your panning- having the one guitar on one side gave the song a nice stereo image.

BlackHatHunter: First of all, I loved the pictures in your Youtube video. B.B, Eric, and Black Hat! Excellent. The music was great too. I liked the harmonies, and it felt like you gave the song your own voice while still paying respect to the original.

Garthman: It's great to hear a track other than "Hallelujah" from Various Positions. Also, not a bad recording at all from a little computer microphone.

Rhancox: I love the guitar sound. It sounds huge. It makes me want a loud bass and drum groove behind it.

Fendouglas: Fun song! I can see how that would go over well with kids. And if I'm any indication, it should go over well with non-kids too.

Chris: This is a good song! I don't think it's too far out of your range, but if you're really uncomfortable singing it, what I usually do is find a singer to "give" it to. Some songs just don't sit well in keys they weren't written in.

Fussenkuh: I can tell you're having a good time playing it. The solo sounded killer! Great groove. That was my favorite part.

MM: Short and sweet. I really think that any longer would have not been as effective. You said a lot in that short song and it felt like a music box! Dig it.

Stack: YES for uke! And I loved the song. It had a bluesy feel, but the main instrument being ukulele gave it this contrast that felt kind of like I was being serenaded on a front porch. You did all those tracks on the H4n, mixed them on it and everything? I think I need to get me one of those.

diceman: You could be a country singer. I love it. The way you phrase those quickly descending lines is reminiscent of George Strait.

Gil: This is my favorite VOM submission from you. It was soulful and subtle. Also, I continue to be impressed by your recording quality. It looks like you're always learning and always adjusting, because the sound gets more and more professional with every video.

Frets: I really liked having the background images of rain. It actually kind of helped me focus on the music instead of looking at your guitar or something.

bludog: Welcome to the forum! I like your style. You sound like Glen Phillips, do you know him? Singer of Toad the Wet Sprocket and an artist in his own right.

Sangemon: Great recording quality. The guitar sounds really rich and full, just the right amount of EQ and compression and stuff.

hypcollector: Loved the song! It was cute.

RKO: Usually stuff being out of tune distracts me unbearably, but I didn't really notice/care on this song. I thought it sounded really nice, very solid fingerpicking work there. Regarding the piano song, you've got some cool piano chops! The swearing just made it endearing.

LiFeStArTs@40: Great sound! I can hardly believe that that's just a 57 and Garageband. The acoustic guitar sound has a lot of depth. Maybe I should go check out those D1's again.

TSMusic: I liked the driving quality this tune has. Cool.

Oldskool Texas: All the instruments?! Great job! Good tune too.

masterbuilt: That new Parkwood sounds great, even through the Flip. (Don't you love the Flip? My mom has one and I think it's just the greatest thing.) I really liked the song too. I found myself imagining big Eagles-style harmonies over the chorus.

Phoniclab: Great song choice! I enjoyed your vocals, they were in tune, even when things got really high.

mrmoe: I really like your style. I think I've told you that before. You've got an old school songwriting style that really appeals to me, and it's good to see that the newer stuff you're writing still sounds like that.

Glenn F: Great recording! It sounds like a 90's rock band (some Frusciante-sounding electric licks in there), and I LOVE that feel.

gthom: I wish I was as cool as you. That's some mighty fine fingerpicking you got going on there, with some really fast lines that have all of the notes ringing clear. Very impressive.

jamesp: OMG. AWESOME. I think you win for my favorite thing from VOM this month. I love the Bach sonatas and partitas for violin, but I really love them on instruments Bach did not plan them for, mandolin and guitar especially.

brianwahl: As always, great recording and video quality. Great song too! If I didn't know you wrote it, I would have guessed it was a Damien Rice song.

pschaafs: Cool collaboration. Two heads are better than one. :thu:

slingblade10: Might not have exactly been a hi-fi recording, but the balance was good and I could hear everything clearly. Nice job!

• Members

Thanks to everyone that commented on my song..its really nice to hear them...Guitarist21 Love your style and you are cute as heck in that video...thanks too for your comments!!...The guys aren't cute as you but don't tell them that...:cool:

• Members

I haven't been able to get to as many songs as I've wanted to, and I listened to a bunch without commenting, but here's what I got into today:

Diceman: Excellent - nice vocals, good melody.

Pineapple: You had me at the harmonica. Great song.

Rhancox: Nice recording - good balance between vocals & guitar.

ChrisCarnucci: Stunning from start to finish. Just perfect.

Michael Martin: Wicked vocal trick - kind of hypnotic!

Stack: GREAT guitar work. Those little lead fills are tasty and tasteful.

Gil: Waits is a hard guy to nail, but you definitely capture his delivery and pathos. Impressive.

Frets: I love the bass notes you're playing in the strumming pattern. Really strong performance of a really cool song. Bravo!

bludog: Killer recording. Love the reggae vibe and the way it smooths back out at "my own shade of blue" Very cool.

Guitarist21: When you kick in to the bluegrass beat at :39 and do that descending bass line, it just slays.

Thanks to all who listened and commented on mine!

• Members

LOL @ Ellen. Any time I see you're on the VOM I have to listen to it all the way through. I haven't laughed this hard in weeks. Thanks for that!

You, sir, are welcome! Again, it's great to know this is somewhat funny, because I've been working on it so long it has completely lost any funniness it once had. Thanks for checking it out, kwak!

• Members

There is some really good stuff this month. The talent never ceases to amaze.

g6120 - Wow, Gil. I've never heard your voice get so low. That had some soul. Good job.

Frets99 - Nice video, Frets. The song was well done too. Loved that thunderous beginning. Nice touch.

bludog70 - I loved that song. Well written and put together nicely. Was that a drum track, MIDI or someone playing?

Sangemon - Good job, Tom. Love that voice for this song. Nice guitar work too.

hypcollector - Cool song, Paul. Always like your stuff. There's just something about your delivery too.

guitarist21 - Great song, Ellen. Love those lyrics. And those licks at the end were cool. Oh, and congratulations on your graduation. You rock too!

RKO - Man, I hadn't heard this one in so long. You did it well. Just wish you didn't have to cut it short.

Lifestarts@40 - Excellent job.... for a hack. You're no hack, my friend. That was good.

TSMusic - High energy, as usual Tony. Wow. Sometimes the little riffs get lost in the strumming, otherwise, it all comes together really well. Nice job.

Oldskool Texas - Dang, that was CD material. I liked that song. Nice sound, good lyrics. Nice production too. You do it all.

masterbuilt - That was a beautiful song. And that voice. Nice!

phoniclab - Nice job. Always wanted to learn this one. You did it well.

mrmoe - Great song, man. Always love to hear your voice. Good stuff.

Glenn F - Loved it, Glenn. If this ain't finished, I'd love to hear it when it is. The electric was a little out there in the beginning, but all in all, it's a good mix now. Solid creation you got there.

Got a few more to listen to.

• Members

The final group:

gthom - beautiful as always. And I'm amazed at how you always read from the music. I am envious.

jamesp - Nice work. Sounds like you'll do fine at the wedding.

brianwahl - Powerful song there, Brian. Nice recording as well.

pschaafs - That sounded nice. A little distant, but I liked the stereo mix with the vocals in the middle and each guitar on it's own side. Multiple mics?

Another great VOM. Nice to be back after being away the last couple of months. Thanks to everyone who listened and especially those that commented.

See you next month.

I know I'm not your type You've said a thousand times

But I can't help if I can't Get you off my mind

So how about if we hang out and see where this will go

Because I must be honest You had me at "hell no"

If I didn't know better I'd say you looked upset

But I can tell you want me and you're playing hard to get

Your flushed complexion gives your face an angel glow

We're perfect for each other and You had me at "hell no"

Hell no I see it in your eyes

Hell no This is all just a disguise

Your angry words ringing in my ear

But it's just your sweet voice I hear

Hell no

Your words for a moment, they cut me kinda deep

But my heart still gets a thrill when you call me a creep

I know soon you will see How much our love can grow

You can't deny our chemistry You had me at "hell no"

Hell no baby I'm in love with you

Hell no pretty sure you love me too

I know we've had a rocky start

But it takes more to break my heart

Hell no

We're going to be best friends if you'll just hear me out

My love for you is strong there is no doubt

I wish you wouldn't run away

It makes me feel like you're afraid

I knew this wasn't going to be a good day

When the judge told me to stay 100 yards away

Hell no Couldn't we have one date at least

Hell no Before you call up the police

This restraining order just won't help

For me to reinvent myself

And court dates just get in the way

We'll never find the time to date

I can't keep this big charade

So this is all I have to say

Hell no

Girl! You are hilarious but your song's about my life!!! :D

Excellent work!!!:thu:

• Members

I've listened to about half...preparing to go to Rome for the summer and under the gun, so no feedback yet. First need to acknowledge comments made on "Music Box"--much appreciated. Acknowledgment by my fellow forumites is a privilege for me.

Michael Martin
: Wicked vocal trick - kind of hypnotic!

I guess the idea was sort of lullaby-ish. So "hypnotic" works for me! Thanks OsT.

• Members
Wow! What a session! After last month's shake up, I wasn't really sure what to expect. But ... wow!!!
:wave::thu::D

Seconded. Great job everyone, I really enjoyed listening to this month's submissions and another thank you to Stack, Joe and everyone else behind the scenes.

• Members

I just had to bump this up (as I attempt to paint my family room ceiling with the latest VOM1T playing on the PC) and I got the chriscarnucci's submission.

In a word: WOW! That's a great song. It reminded me of the group America's stuff. It's a little rough around the edges but definitely one worth polishing up! :thu:

• Members
I just had to bump this up (as I attempt to paint my family room ceiling with the latest VOM1T playing on the PC) and I got the chriscarnucci's submission.

In a word: WOW! That's a great song. It reminded me of the group America's stuff. It's a little rough around the edges but definitely one worth polishing up!
:thu:

Well thanks so much for the call out! I am flattered!

I might have to follow Ellen's advice and give this one away to someone who can sing it. Some of the lyrics maybe could use a little tweeking, but I think it mostly needs a good singer to pull it off. And a good band to play it. I'm just a hack songwriter wannabe :)

But again... thanks. All the support I get here really means alot. It helps me keep working to improve. And it's such a nice group of people to air out my attempts! I just love all the creative talent that hangs out here!

• Members

I was goofing around this afternoon with a ZOOM MRS-8 digital recorder and I did a rendition of "Typical Day" with guitar and lead vocals doubled, two backup vocal tracks, bass guitar, and percussion.

Wow...that was really good...the guitar sounded sweet and the vocals...all of them sounded great...well done!! I can tell you've played a few weekends...

• Members

Thanks tbryson. Music is my passion, especially vocal harmonies.

I always loved vocal harmonies and I keep trying to do them, some not so good...but you do them especially well.

Archived