VOM 28 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 9, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

Pine Apple Slim Comments:

Sunday I'll be busy visiting Mother in the Nursing Home, so this is one I did last weekend & sent to my partner in crime. We are rehearsing a 60s acoustic duo. No fancy guitar work. Just a good song. Recorded this in true VOMIT fashion, probably about the 3rd time thru after downloading the lyrics I hit the rec button. Just the laptop mic and Kristal, coverted to MP3 w/Itunes. The orginal wav file sounded a little better to me, the conversion lost some fullness & bass to my ear.

Absentee Post from:
Pine Apple Slim

Title:
Eve of Destruction

Credits:
Barry McGuire

Absentee Post from: tbryson

Title: Destinations Unkown
Credits: Ted Bryson

tbryson Comments:

Just something I wrote. Wanted something happy go lucky instead of downer lyrics.

Destinations unkown

C#m

• Members

Whew... thank goodness for the return of the HC 1.0 forums! Here's hoping everyone (especially Joe) has a much easier time with the VOM this month :thu:

Title: Doctor Alibi
Originally By: Slash

This month, my humble contribution to the VOM is a piece from Slash's latest solo album. Slash collaborated with a roster of singer/songwriters to create each song on the album. This particular tune was a collaboration between Slash and Lemmy Killmister of Motorhead fame. I wasn't about to attempt a Lemmy impression so, what you're about to see, for better or worse, is strictly instrumental.

There's nothing overly difficult about playing the tune, but, gosh darn it, I have a blast when I play it... so, now you all get to hear it... well, unless you don't click on the link ;)

[YOUTUBE]4VaJRc7cNH4[/YOUTUBE]

While not really VOM1T, it is VOM1T in spirit. The rhythm was recorded in one take as was the overlaid guitar in the beginning as was my re-imagining of the song's solo... I can't quite pull off all of Slash's electric guitar tricks on my acoustic ;)

Here's hoping people enjoy it!
Chris

• Members

Shortest song I've ever written. Inspired by the memory of an actual windup music box that played something from the Nutcracker; also inspired by my friend and occasional music partner Xin Wu.

[Two Hummingbird tracks and 1 vocal track into an AT2020 condenser mike into a Fostex VF80 recorder (output file converted to mp3 via Switch). The chimey thing at the start is a metal bowl that dings when you hit it with a wooden stick.]

http://www.box.net/shared/0vxz1vffbr

Lyrics:

Music Box

• Members

You guys are gettin good...I can't play like most of you...a few reviews.

Pine Apple...Great old song. Good singing!

Blackhat...Real nice...the vocals were up front. Good singing!

garthman...Sweet music. Well done. You sang and played this very good.

rhancox...Nice work. The recording was very clear and clean. Nice playing!

Fendoug...That was a great song. Good performance and singing.

Chris C...Very pretty song...Pleasing to listen to. The vocals are as you described.

Fussenkuh...You sure pick up stuff fast. Always enjoy your playing...Your much to modest.

M Martin...Perfect. Great singing and playing!!

Stack...Your timing and rhythm were so tight. That is something I could really use...great timing like that. Good job!!

In before the lock.... :o

Here's a little something I heard Feliciano do many years ago. It has a lot of meaning for me and a friend from when I was a young man. Facebook can be amazing.

This is called, "Rain".

[YOUTUBE]qMrVqdcWlKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Played on my Crafter TO35 and recorded using a Karma thumb sized condenser mic.

Edit: I think the audio from the youtube video sounds muddy to me. I'm adding this mp3 link to the same audio.

Rain on MP3

• Members

Good morning ladies and gents. This morning I bring you Steve Earle's "Fort Worth Blues", played on my '94 HD 28. This is a true 1 take recording with no editing. I did one rehearsal for levels and to warm up, and then hit the record button.

This guitar has no pickup, so I mic'ed it with the AKG Perception 220, which is a large diameter condenser, at the 12th fret. The vocal was recorded with an AKG 451, close mic'ed. Mixed in Logic Express, not much processing, a little EQ, compression and reverb.

Enjoy!

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Sangemon/Ft_Worth_Blues.mp3

• Members

wheww!!!! had some issues this morning and ended up at melodyvine, registered, got confused, posted a song, and found this place again. plus, i woke with a crick in my neck.

although written several years ago and recorded last year, this song was specifically for my mamma. the consumerism cynicism likely comes from my broke status at the time. give some love to all the mothers today...pg

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7585276

could've bought you a card

i guess i could've bought you a card
but that wouldn't be from the heart
i could've spent twenty minutes finding something
that says it almost right
straight from hallmark
to brighten up your life
but that just won't do it this time

let me tell you
don't expect me to mail you
i'll say it myself this time

i love you
i been thinking of you
i've loved you all my life

well i thought about getting you somthing really nice
somthing that proved i paid a high price
i could've got you some flowers, a dress,
or a big ruby ring
with an inscription on the back
tell you what i mean
but that just won't do it this time

(Chorus)

• Members

Pineapple Slim - Great cover, love the harmonica, i would add some driving drums to that track

Mojo Twanger - Great tune, my favorite N Young tune. Good vocals, I think that they might be clipping a bit. Maybe a little bass roll off?

RHAN COX Good tune, first time that I have heard it, thanks for sharing it.

FEN Douglas Loved this tune, great recording, made me smile, also made me think of the travelocity commericials?

Carnucci Good song, loved the chorus especially

Michael Martin Nice tight reording

• Members

VOM! I have missed you so!

I've been really getting into country music lately and tried to write this song, but there were some awkward parts so I enlisted my friend (major props to my friend Nadia, check her out at www.nadiafaye.com) to come help iron some stuff out. The bridge still needs work, but we got nearly everything else. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! Stick around for the guitar solo at the end. :) Lyrics below in case you can't understand me.

[YOUTUBE]wDuh6ewUvxs[/YOUTUBE]

I know I'm not your type You've said a thousand times

But I can't help if I can't Get you off my mind

So how about if we hang out and see where this will go

Because I must be honest You had me at "hell no"

If I didn't know better I'd say you looked upset

But I can tell you want me and you're playing hard to get

Your flushed complexion gives your face an angel glow

We're perfect for each other and You had me at "hell no"

Hell no I see it in your eyes

Hell no This is all just a disguise

Your angry words ringing in my ear

But it's just your sweet voice I hear

Hell no

Your words for a moment, they cut me kinda deep

But my heart still gets a thrill when you call me a creep

I know soon you will see How much our love can grow

You can't deny our chemistry You had me at "hell no"

Hell no baby I'm in love with you

Hell no pretty sure you love me too

I know we've had a rocky start

But it takes more to break my heart

Hell no

We're going to be best friends if you'll just hear me out

My love for you is strong there is no doubt

I wish you wouldn't run away

It makes me feel like you're afraid

I knew this wasn't going to be a good day

When the judge told me to stay 100 yards away

Hell no Couldn't we have one date at least

Hell no Before you call up the police

This restraining order just won't help

For me to reinvent myself

And court dates just get in the way

We'll never find the time to date

I can't keep this big charade

So this is all I have to say

Hell no

• Members

My second time here. This is "Death of an unknown poet by jimmy buffett. y voice is pitchy and week, but thanks to you all, it's getting better. This entry is a true VOM1, but I recorded it a few months back. Also, the guitar is BARLEY out of tune on a couple strings, and I'd rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard. If I haven't scared you off by now, have a listen. By the way, everyboy so far is AMAZING. I'll post more indiviual comments later, but just thought I'd let you early birds know you're doing great!
An now, with no further ado, the INCOMPARABLE (thank go) Russ with Death of an unpopular Poet. Thanks and tip your wait staff.
PS_ Had to cut it to fit the 1.95 mg issue at HC.

• Members

Some really good stuff here so far this month.

Pine Apple Slim - this one brought back memories. My brother played this one back during the time he was in the Army, 1970. Fortunately for him, he was sent to Germany. I loved your version. Some of those lines are hard to squeeze into one breath, aren't they?

tbryson - what? No Beatles? Seriously, this is a cool song. Could use a little more polishing here and there, but I love it. Cool lyrics and great sound.

BlackHatHunter - beautifully done. It's like the style of your voice just made it a different song. Well done.

Garthman - another great submission. Always love your guitar work and, for me, your voice always draws me to the story. Nice job.

Fendouglas - Hilarious! I gotta learn me that one. You're right, who wouldn't enjoy that one. Well, except a gnome, maybe.

chriscarnucci - Wow! What a great song. Excellent writing. You're right, it is a little high for your voice but the key works well on the guitar. What are you gonna do, right?

FussenKuh - Nice playing. Loved the lead part. Well done.

Michael Martin - Another fine piece of writing. Loved the "chimey" part. Did you have to fill it with some water to get the exact tone? ;-)

Stackabones - Man, you've always got it going on. I love hearing your tunes.

diceman1000 - Damon, I'm proud of you. You've come a long way in the short time you've been playing guitar and now you've written an excellent tune. You've got it, brother. Keep it up.

• Members

Here's my submission, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zep.

Because I can't sing, this is a condensed version.

Acoustic Guitar - Martin D1
Electric Guitar - Squire Tele
Bass Guitar - Squire P-bass
Drums - Yamaha Electric

Acoustic was recorded into a sm57 mic and everything was just inputed through my audio interface right into garage band.

I still have timing issues because I'm a rank noob and suck, but it's also pretty hard to keep 4-5 separate tracks in time.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9120189

Yeah, I know... I'm a hack. :facepalm:

• Members

Just a couple notables right off the top of my head:

Guitar 21 - I LOVED that song. Not only was it well done, but I seriously LMAO!

Bludog - GREAT tune! Nice tracking and just overall a great song.

Diceman - Dude, I wish I could sing like you! You have a great voice.

Sangemon - Very well done sir! Another great performance.

Frets - I always enjoy your submissions.

I have more to listen to later today.

• Members

Lifestarts: Great song and frigging amazing tone? What are you using?

Ellen you're playing is always great, an I LOVE that song! But you also have a sweet voice! I've listened to your stuff a lot, but your cute, sweet voice works, especially saying "...You had me at hell no."

You are NOT a loser, you have real talent and professional discipline.

We all think YOU rock.

Stack, Chris, Blackhat, you 3 always consistently rock this virtual house

Dice, great tune.

Mike, Fussen Garth, Tbryson, always great songs. PAS, Michael Martin, ditto.

I apologize that I'm so lazy I don't post a lot of comments. As a reformed piano player, you'd think I can handle a qwerty keyboard as well. I caqn guarantee you that is a myth.

I will say this, I

m so glad that some folks here are like me, only better. We're a work in progress. My focus at the moment is to toughen up my lazy singing voice, fin some electronic gear to sing thru, and buy a Martin, 000-15m or OC1E. In the en, I hope I can fin a sound that doesn't discourage me from restarting my gigging "career." So far, I've earned about 12 bucks

• Members

Greetings

My contribution this month is a song from third CD 'Angels On Fyre' titled Gabriels Reel. This is one of my Celtic influenced toe-tappers. It is always fun to play, especially if my left fingers are in a cooperative mood. So sit back and enjoy!

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well another great round! Everyone stuff is just getting better all the time!

Thanks again to Chris and Joe for holding all this together. (must take alot of duct tape) :)

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, it helps keep me motivated.

Ok here are my comments for everyone so far. (I'll catch any additions later).

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

Pineapple Slim- good stuff, has a Wille Nelson/ Deep Blue Something vibe to it..

tbryson- cool tune

BHH- good as always buddy

garthman- good work, made me feel like i was in a castle courtyard...

rhancox- good stuff as always brother, loves me some jackson browne...

Fendouglas- i lol'd, good stuff man

chriscarnucci- good work my friend... very sad song. and the vocals were fine btw:thu:

Fussenkuh- cool!!!

Michael Martin- good tune bud...

Stack- killer as alway Chris:thu:

Gil- excelent:thu:

Frets- awsome bud!!!

bludog- killer, reminded me of clapton and marley all at the same time... good work...

guitarist 21- awsome stalker song, i lol'd a tapped my foot... killer tune...

RKO- good job...

lifestarts@40- dude, i wish i could play guitar like you... great tune...

Archived