Whats Happened To TNFrank ?

Tartanlad

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Depends on what you want to have.

I am a certified pistol marksman and shooting instructor and pistols are handy, but you need a LOT of skill and even more practice to operate one of those things without being a danger to yourself and the environment.

For close quarters combat and protection, there is nothing better than a handy shotgun with some buckshot. You just have to aim roughly in the right direction and the short barrels will spread the charge sufficiently. Using a pump action or semi will give you more sustained firepower than the standard old style double-barrel, but IMHO if you need more than the two barrels of buckshot, you're in a situation in which a Glock wouldn't help, either.

I wholeheartedly agree with this ^^^.

I've got several hundred hours on the practice range under my belt and am pretty proficient with a handgun, (my old faithful Browning 9mm) but for home protection, I vastly prefer a long-gun, namely my cheap-but-trusty 20 ga Mossberg.

Just point the business end in the general direction of the noise, pull the trigger, and you're bound to hit something, no matter if you're firing from the shoulder or the hip.

Additionally, the "ka-click" sound of the pump sliding can make intruders think twice about what they're about to do.
Has proven to work for me :D

• Members

This is another indication that I must really be getting old, I guess. Back in my younger days, I moved around a whole lot within a pretty wide area of the music scene at the time. I also met a great deal of other guitarists/musicians within that same period of time. But to the best of my remembrance, I never once met any that owned a pistol. Hunting rifles? Yes, lots of those. But no pistols. And I'm from Eastern Oklahoman where there's always been tons of heavily armed red-necks all around. But truthfully, back in those days area musicians in general weren't a part of that kind of thing.

Not that there's really anything wrong with it, I guess. It's probably just another sign of the crazy times that we're all living in nowadays. I really don't get out much at all these days. And since my most recent relocation, I still haven't gotten out anywhere and met any of the local musicians around here (I'm still in Oklahoma, but in a different area now). So I really can't comment on whether there's pistol packin' guitar players around here or not. But again, because of these crazy times, my best guess would be "yes" there are some. Which, again, reminds me of why I don't get out much these days.

• Members

I own guns, but in 52 years on this planet, I have never even once felt the need to point one at another soul, nor have I ever wished I had one on me. You folks talking about "these times" are way off the mark -- crime rates have fallen rather drastically for most of the past 40-50 years, it's just the fact that we now have a 24-hour news cycle in which media are constantly looking for something to splash on our screens that makes folks think things are getting worse...

• Members

I own guns, but in 52 years on this planet, I have never even once felt the need to point one at another soul, nor have I ever wished I had one on me. You folks talking about "these times" are way off the mark -- crime rates have fallen rather drastically for most of the past 40-50 years, it's just the fact that we now have a 24-hour news cycle in which media are constantly looking for something to splash on our screens that makes folks think things are getting worse...

I agree with that, but the NRA owns so many politicians I'm surprised we haven't been legally obligated to carry weapons. That's why everybody has a gun. No other real reason.

• Members

I'm still around, just not had anything to say lately. Been doing some research on which Glock I'd like to pick up. Figure if I'm only going to own one pistol may as well get a good one. Tax Return time next year I'll pick up something, not sure what right now. May be a Glock, Taurus or ???

Glock>Taurus.

CZ, SIG-Sauer, S&W, Springfield, Ruger. There are lots of choices out there.

Pistols vs. long-guns: pistols have advantages no shotgun or rifle can compensate for, and rifles and shotguns have advantages that no pistol can compensate for. In today's world, in the U.S., if you don't hunt and only want to have one gun, a pistol is more practical because you can carry it w/you all the time, discretely, and disturb no one b/c they won't ever know you have it.

Pistols will never, until "phazers" really work, never, never, never have the power of a rifle or shotgun. Ever. Just something to remember.

• Members
When was your last shootout with a criminal scumbag?

You just made my point...

That's it for me on the subject. I hate politics...

Uh, you really didn't have a point. You expressed a strange opinion about the NRA owning politicians, and everybody having a gun. I wonder how many politicians are owned by anti-gun groups. :idea:

My granny doesn't have a gun. ... Wait! Maybe she does. Good for her. :thu: Maybe she can use it to make the criminal scumbags leave her alone.

You don't hate politics that much if you make a political post in a guitar forum. :freak:

• Members

I couldn't agree with you more. All these 24 hour "designer" news organizations nowadays have escalated both the fear and paranoia of the general population to a completely unprecedented degree. Which is actually why it seems that a lot more people are running out and buying themselves guns these days. Which is why I worded my last post to this thread as "these crazy times." I was attempting to emphasize the craziness of the times, rather than the violence.

I certainly think that violence today is bad enough. But overall (at least in my lifetime anyway) violent crimes seem to be on the decrease. In the USA, that is and perhaps even some other countries too. But I only succeed in keeping up with it in terms of the country I actually live in. I realize that's kind of narrow-minded of me, but I seem to have too much stuff to keep up already, LOL!

Anyway, if I really thought that violent crime around me was on the increase, I'm pretty sure that I'd go out and buy even my own self a gun. No joke! But speaking only for myself, I personally still have not found the need to own one just yet. However, it truly doesn't bother me at all that other people feel the need to own one. My sincere apologies if that's how I came across, as that certainly was not my intentions.

• Members
Uh, you really didn't have a point. You expressed a strange opinion about the NRA owning politicians, and everybody having a gun. I wonder how many politicians are owned by anti-gun groups.
:idea:

My granny doesn't have a gun. ... Wait! Maybe she does. Good for her.
:thu:
Maybe she can use it to make the criminal scumbags leave her alone.

You don't hate politics that much if you make a political post in a guitar forum.
:freak:

I made a point. You just didn't get it.

• Members

Who is this "You folks"? :confused: Perhaps anyone who doesn't share your sense of safety and well-being in this wonderful crime-free utopia we live in? :idea:

"crime rates have fallen rather drastically for most of the past 40-50 years"???
Sources would be nice to back that profound declaration up. :idea:

• Members
Depends on what you want to have.

I am a certified pistol marksman and shooting instructor and pistols are handy, but you need a LOT of skill and even more practice to operate one of those things without being a danger to yourself and the environment.

I've owned and use handguns since the age of 18(cap n' ball Remington) so using one is pretty much second nature to me. :thu:
Also, depending on funds I may end up with a "Mouse Gun" of somekind just to get me by until I can get a "real" gun. Beretta makes the TomCat in .32acp and Taurus has the 941UL with a 2" bbl in .22Mag. Not my first choice but probably about half the price of the Glock that I'd like and a hell of a lot better then a sharp stick with something goes "bump" in the night.
I've just got so many other things to spend the cash on, it really makes it hard to spend $500 or more on a handgun that'll sit in a drawer most of the time.
I use to be a big Gun Nut but with ammo prices going sky high and firearms prices following suite plus all the money I've lost buying, selling and trading I just got burned out and fed up with firearms.
I'd still like something for Home Defense and to use with my CCW but I'm not as hardcore as I use to be so a good Mouse Gun may end up being good enough.

• Members

I've got three handguns. Two 22 magnum revolvers and one little ol' 380 pistol. Not what you'd classify as "assault weaponry", however, either one of the 22 mags would make a burglar think twice just from the sound they make when you squeeze off a round.

I feel that the firearms training I got in my Uncle Sam's Army is sufficient to qualify me to have them and to know how to handle them properly.

I've never NEEDED any of them, and hope to hell I never do. But, I can tell ya this....I'd much rather have 'em and not need 'em, than need 'em and not have 'em.

• Members
"crime rates have fallen rather drastically for most of the past 40-50 years"???

Sources would be nice to back that profound declaration up.
:idea:

Ncsucr2.gif

Homicide_offending_by_race.jpg

From the US department of Justice...

Here's one from that noted bunch of left-wing loonies, the FBI:

090612_violent_crime_decline.jpg

Interestingly, during that same period, the number of people in prison has skyrocketed to the point where the US has the largest proportion of its population in the world in prison...

• Members

From the US department of Justice...

Here's one from that noted bunch of left-wing loonies, the FBI:

Interestingly, during that same period, the number of people in prison has skyrocketed to the point where the US has the largest proportion of its population in the world in prison...

Strange. I see some graphic images from Examiner.com, evidently based out of Atlanta... and Wikimedia. They might be attributed to who you say they are. They might even be significant... if we knew how the statistics were interpreted to come up with those graphs.

The prisons are full of people who really didn't do any crimes.

I guess crime is a thing of the past. :idk:

• Members

I'm sorry that I didn't have time to properly research and write a detailed, scientifically valid dissertation to pass muster for you. I guess you'll just have to be satisfied with either my anecdotal evidence or wait until I have the free time to present an argument with a sufficient set of footnotes and bibliographic content for you... :rolleyes:

• Members
When you said you preferred 12 gauge I thought you meant guitar strings
:lol:

Actually, that's my preferred high E.
:thu:

I didn't have you down as the gun owning type Terry.

I've only a few...2 side-by-sides (pictured), a pump-12 (varmints, mostly), a 30-30 Winchester rifle, a couple of black-powder guns, a .44 Magnum and (my latest) a .50 magnum Desert Eagle.

By Texas standards, I'm hardly a gun-nut, at all!
:lol:

Over here most normal everyday people haven't even seen a real gun. I have seen some shotguns when I've been Pheasant shooting with my dad, I didn't have a go though.

[YOUTUBE]zPHr9CXsFtA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Strange. I see some graphic images from Examiner.com, evidently based out of Atlanta... and Wikimedia. They
might
be attributed to who you say they are. They might even be significant... if we knew how the statistics were interpreted to come up with those graphs.

The prisons are full of people who really didn't do any crimes.

I guess crime is a thing of the past.
:idk:

Quite a few folks are serving time for victimless crimes, so feel safe, FF. :idea:

• Members
I'm sorry that I didn't have time to properly research and write a detailed, scientifically valid dissertation to pass muster for you. I guess you'll just have to be satisfied with either my anecdotal evidence or wait until I have the free time to present an argument with a sufficient set of footnotes and bibliographic content for you...
:rolleyes:

IOW, you can't back it up. :rolleyes:

That's okay. I wouldn't have the time to call bull{censored} on every little detail of it anyway. :wave:

Archived