ok, I need to make a decision

rickoshea

• Members

well its birthday time again soon. This generally means either a guitar or tools for me, despite my wife trying her best to dress me using strange things called "clothes" as presents in past years. This year I have a dilemma - so, opinions please on these :

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Acoustic-Guitars/18289-/Recording-King-RM-998-1D-Bell-Brass-Diamond-Cut-Resonator-Guitar?utm_source=googleproduct

or

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=RASI

or possibly

http://www.axminster.co.uk/apollo-apollo-spraymaster-1200-2s-prod792035/

the agony of choice eh? :facepalm:

• Members

So the espresso maker is for neck resets? Get it! I recently tried to do a neck reset without one, and it would have been a better idea to have it available. Plus, I hear you can make coffee with them too.

• Members

The reso is basically the "all three" selection.

Because (A) if you buy the reso, you will buy tools and spray equipment anyway - I'm convinced that once tool-buying starts, there is no stopping it, nor blocking it with purchases of other things. And (2) on any upcoming holiday or birthday, you can buy that fantastic-looking espresso maker as a gift *for your wife,* or perhaps for the children... What a considerate gift for the family!!! Also (D) if you buy the espresso gadget first, you'll be too hyper to play the reso and you may inadvertently encase your pecker permanently in a mad caffeine-driven spray of nitrocellulose lacquer.

• Members

we seem to be swaying in the direction of the Rancilio ... of course I'd need a good grinder as well :facepalm:

The arguments against are indeed well put. Caffeine driven hazes Knock can be beneficial. I firmly believe that with an adequate amount of Rancilio produced espresso/latte my guitar building would approach monumental levels of efficiency and I could churn out at least 50 guitar-shaped firelighters a day. This would enable me to buy the reso. I have also cunningly encased my pecker in dental silicon putty as a first line of defence against flying go bars so it is comparatively safe.

Garthy - judging by the amount of exclamation marks and smileys in your post, you already have a Rancilio and have been partaking in several Samson-strength brews before you wrote it :poke: :lol:

Gitnoob ... never thought of it that way. I like your lateral thinking there :thu:

Stack ... the Bialetti is a fine bit of kit for espressos. However ... you cant do this with it :

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide/examples

and that, as well as being fun, makes seriously good coffee ;)

or maybe I should get some clothes ..... :facepalm:

• Members

I'll take door number 1. If Paris is like Rome, where I currently llve, all the best espresso is made by experts in espresso bars. Which by the way are wonderful places in their own right (I just now returned from my favorite, the Bar del Cappucino on Via Arenula, where I got my morning fix).

Also, I've owned two diff espresso machines, and not cheapies. Neither one lasted more than a year before some part of it stopped working.

NEVER pass up a chance to acquire a gorgeous guitar! Especially a shiny one!

• Members

If, laudably, you decide to go the coffee route, don't forget to budget for a decent grinder.

I had a machine here for a while before I got a decent grinder and the difference really is major. Properly GROUND beans with a good control over consistencies for espresso or cafetiere etc make a far better job.

Imho the little bladed whirring jobbies just aren't up to it.

... and then stock up on my Aged Sulawesi Kalosi for those vital breakfast fixes :thu::lol:

• Members

. . Garthy - judging by the amount of exclamation marks and smileys in your post, you already have a Rancilio and have been partaking in several Samson-strength brews before you wrote it :poke:
:lol:
. . .

You may laugh, Ricky boy, but lots of good coffee is the essential ingredient to good guitar playing - or lots of alcohol, of course.

• Members

Sounds like the coffee machine is in the lead. It can be quite versatile as has been mentioned. You can use it to steam out some tricky neck joints. It doesn't hurt to use it for its intended purpose but personally I get annoyed by "the shakes" from having too much caffeine. YMMV.

• Members

Grey .. yup, a burr grinder is vital. When I lived in the USA I bought beans that were roasted to order from a company in NYC. I was in a permanent state of involuntary trembling for 2 years. Great stuff :thu:

Michael ... very very true. Also, if coffee costs the same in Rome than it does in Paris having a bash at your own espressos/lattes etc isn't a bad plan ;)

Garthy ... so thats why you play so well. A caffeine/alcohol mix. I feel some experimentation coming on. Sound clips to follow ... (maybe)

Neil ... the shakes make my day job fun (for me) :facepalm::lol:

the Rancilio is in the lead by a head but the reso may pull off a last minute win. I'm a bit of an indecisive bastard.

• Members

If you are serious about the reso, lets talk. There might be better options.

'noob is right, the best use of a home espresso maker is for neck resetting. I've gone back to a drip machine and grinder.

The sprayer is also a good choice, but again, there are cheaper options. I gave 20 bucks for a 3hp 8 gal used compressor and about 30 for a little detail gun.

• Members

My wife bought a Pavoni Duet which has a grinder on it, does espresso, has a built-in steamer, etc... all the bells and whistles, about $400 USD. She hardly uses it these days, but at first, she was pulling shots left and right. I'd get the git.

• Members

If you are serious about the reso, lets talk. There might be better options.

'noob is right, the best use of a home espresso maker is for neck resetting. I've gone back to a drip machine and grinder.

The sprayer is also a good choice, but again, there are cheaper options. I gave 20 bucks for a 3hp 8 gal used compressor and about 30 for a little detail gun.

whats the options FK? ... I'm after a metal body and none of this lap dancing play technique flat fretboard stuff :facepalm::lol:

FK and Masterbuilt - I like proper espresso machines, I had one in the US and used it all the time. The only snag was that it took me so long to piss about doing latte art that if 4 people wanted coffee it was a crisis.

Neal ... just a wee touch out of my price range, if I spent that I wouldnt live to see any more birthdays :facepalm:

Owing to TAH and Garthy's wisdom (? ;)) the Resonator pulls back to a slight lead with only a few days to go ....

• Members

OK. My final words on this, after profound consideration.

Coffee is good. Very good. But there are other ways to achieve decent coffee e.g. good beans, grinder, cafetiere.

BUT

There is no other way to achieve the joyful mournful sound of a 'steel' reso. For that I went with Busker and am happy I did.

If you decide to go the coffee route and need supplies of anything specific I'll be in the Mecca coffee emporium at the end of the month. They even have an organic Indonesian water treated decaff. which is genuinely very drinkable at bedtime! Wowzie!

steel steel steeel steel steel steeel steel steel steeeeeeeeel

• Members

whats the options FK? ... I'm after a metal body and none of this lap dancing play technique flat fretboard stuff
:facepalm::lol:

The first thing I always ask someone who wants a resonator is how they plan to play it. That leads first to the body and cone style (metal vs wood, biscuit vs spider vs tri cone). Lap dancing, er, style, pretty much dictates spider bridge, others styles of playing make sense on a metal bodied biscuit.

Next consideration, and the biggie for me, is that many PacRim resonators, particularly those with 14 frets clear, are fairly narrow necks with quite a bit of radius (usually 16 inch). That is fine for fretted play, but I play about 80 percent slide on my reso's and a wider flatter neck is much easier to play cleanly on. This is one spec that I would really want to check out - ideally by playing, if you can't at least read the specs.

Last, I've only played two RK's (one a couple of years ago, one about two weeks ago). My feeling, like most PacRim resos, is that they were fine but could use some work - you are capable of doing that. They were just not as nicely setup as you would expect a guitar in the $500 price range and the tricone, at least wasn't quite as sweet sounding as I would have expected.

In the US, Republic has made a good reputation in taking PacRim reso bodies and setting them up better, Beard does that with their GoldTone line and Dobro with the Hound Dog (both the latter are spiders). On your side of the pond I have heard good things about both Michael Messer and Busker guitars, and I was particularly impressed by the Delta Resonators made in GB (their woodie tri cone was part of the inspiration for mine).

http://www.deltaresonatorguitars.co.uk/models.htm

Here was a discussion on a blues forum about some of the options, my feeling is that there is a lot of variations and options in reso-land and that you should check them all out.

http://bigroadblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12026

(Btw - the last VOM had clips of my three resonators playing the same song, including a little lap dancing)

• Members

Grey ... is that coffee Emporium back "home" in Norn Iron?, I'm off to Donegal hopefully in a few weeks to scare some Salmon but may have a day to spare, hell maybe this time Avalon will be open :lol:

I would go with Busker (this one : http://www.buskerguitars.co.uk/8.html ) but .. and this leads to FK's question, I'm not going to be using it mainly for slidey stuff. My inspiration for one comes from this :

o7GJgncybV8&feature=related

so its going to be picked and strummed, but I'll be experimenting ;)

2 things bout the Busker that concern me ... flat wide fretboard, and the price. I'm pushing it as it is :facepalm:

I actually prefer a narrower neck FK but any further advice is appreciated :thu:

• Members

Monsewer O'Shea,

The "Mecca" is in Aberwristwatch in Welsh Wales. Not an expected location, but maybe 'cos it's a Uni. town. Does nowt but teas, coffees and accoutrements. I'm there fairly reg. and always do a wee bit of stocking up. No problem at all if there's something you're pining for...

You just think that you'll use a reso for pickin' and strummin'; but I know the dark slide is strong in you lol

Be happy, whatever your decision ( in so far that it really is yours) :lol:

Archived