OT- Hit a pretty big milestone today

wkendhacker

• Members

On turning 50. Ruminations of a rookie curmudgeon:

1. No new aches or pains, I'm just more acutely aware of the same old ones.

2. When I turned 40, people kept trying to convince me that I was still young. Nobody's doing that today.

3. I am wearing one black sock and one blue one. And i don't give a damn.

4. I strangely find myself wondering what all the hoopla about "Matlock" was about.

5. Until today, I would never have thought to use the word "hoopla."

6. I'm wondering if I've finally reached the age where my flirtiness is considered "cute." I really don't care either way, but "cute" seems better than "creepy."

7. I'm still playing in a rock band, which in itself is a dead giveaway of a guy trying to hold onto something from his youth, but now, it just seems really loud.

8. I find that I'm not regretting having made so many mistakes. I made peace with that years ago.

9.Aging is like space travel. We're all in the same capsule, moving around at the same speed, without the opportunity to see or feel the movement. Collectively, we fail to notice that time and space are whizzing by us at speeds we can't imagine.

10. It's chilly in here.

• Members

Happy birthday to you, wkendhacker.

I only have one more birthday in my 50s left. I will say that the 50s have been pretty good. But I wouldn't want to be playing in a rock band any more. I don't get so worked up about little inconveniences or stupid people any more.

I don't think I will ever be able to afford to retire, but I admit that it is beginning to sound like a fine idea.

Anyway, make a wish and blow out the candles.

And many happy returns of the day, wkendhacker.

• Members

Wkend, you're just a pup! You've got a lot of living to do. I remember when I turned 50, some 15 years ago. I thought it was the end of the world too, but it's not. Just wait until the day comes when you're walking around in a bright green shirt, purple pants pulled clear up under you armpits, and yellow sneakers! Really old men don't give a {censored} about how they look. Carry on, young man, carry on.

• Members

At precisely what age do men stop being randy young bucks and become dirty old men?

I realised I was at that age when I saw a skimpily clad young girl going out for an evening with her friends. My first thought was "She'll catch her death of cold dressed like that". Downhill from then on.

• Members

wkendhacker! Happy B-Day! Loved your list! :) I felt pretty good at 50, and still feel better than some of my younger friends, so there is hope. Just don't slow down and keep your mind active and you will be OK. And if ya smoke quit now, it is what is messing me up now!

Opa, I like it that there is a bunch of old farts here, makes me feel at home!
Bob

• Members

Turning fifty didn't bother me, but at 58 I am starting to feel my years. I have not been kind to myself, but not too bad either. Like Queeg I don't see how I'll ever be able to retire. There was a time when I thought I would never want to. I still don't, but more and more I am wishing I had the choice. However I live in south Florida now, and at almost every major intersection there is a poor looking soul with a jug begging change. I have a roof over my head, never hungry unless I want to be and have more guitars than I should, so I can't complain. Enjoy your birthday, hope for many more, and be nice to the little people. Good night all.

• Members

...I live in south Florida now, and at almost every major intersection there is a poor looking soul with a jug begging change.

Happy b-day! I've been in this 50s racket for a few years now, and I gotta tell you...it's not too bad! A few more aches and pains, perhaps, but my weight is the best its ever been and I feel a lot better overall than I did in my 40s.

Unfortunately, I hear it's a brisk coast downhill from here, so ENJOY!

Btw, floridapicker, the only thing I've ever noticed at EVERY major intersection in South Florida is the debris from that day's car accidents.

• Members
On turning 50. Ruminations of a rookie curmudgeon:

1. No new aches or pains, I'm just more acutely aware of the same old ones.

2. When I turned 40, people kept trying to convince me that I was still young. Nobody's doing that today.

3. I am wearing one black sock and one blue one. And i don't give a damn.

4. I strangely find myself wondering what all the hoopla about "Matlock" was about.

5. Until today, I would never have thought to use the word "hoopla."

6. I'm wondering if I've finally reached the age where my flirtiness is considered "cute." I really don't care either way, but "cute" seems better than "creepy."

7. I'm still playing in a rock band, which in itself is a dead giveaway of a guy trying to hold onto something from his youth, but now, it just seems really loud.

8. I find that I'm not regretting having made so many mistakes. I made peace with that years ago.

9.Aging is like space travel. We're all in the same capsule, moving around at the same speed, without the opportunity to see or feel the movement. Collectively, we fail to notice that time and space are whizzing by us at speeds we can't imagine.

10. It's chilly in here.

Pffff . . . Whippersnapper! :cop:

Happy Birthday.

Archived