A Mutt of a Guitar

gitnoob

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, guys. A 3-month gestation period. Sort of like giving birth to a kitten, I guess. :)

I'm digging the tone. I'll take it into the luthier on Monday -- he's also a pro-level player. Perhaps I'll be able to record him and get a professional opinion as well.

I did a few experiments on this one, including a smaller-than-typical soundhole. That seems to give it a stronger resonance on the lower two bass strings. I figured if I didn't like it, I could add a sound port to raise that resonance a bit, but I like it!

I can't imagine building a guitar.

I couldn't either. I knew if I tried to build one on my own, it would closely resemble a packing crate. That's why I signed up for a class -- it's the only way to go if you're a klutz like me. :)

• Members

Erhm, what's a well-known short-scale 00 with extra-light strings?

It's made differently than anything you can buy off the shelf (which is why I wanted to build one like this). Different shape, different bracing, different thickness of plates and finish, etc.

Ever played a vintage Gibson L-00? That's the only thing that comes to mind that was a bit similar in both tone and feel to me.

• Members

Thanks for this thread noob. I just sat and read the whole thing. Wow. Just wow. Amazing.

I wish I had the time/skills/funds to be able to do something like this. I'm a total clutz when it comes to tools and woodwork though.

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful journey :cool::rawk:

• Members

This thread is for the n00bs and klutzes! If I can do it, anybody can. :)

Speaking of klutzes, I took the guitar into the shop today to show it off. Everybody was suitably impressed. Oohs and ahhs abounded. Then the luthier started wailing on my baby. With a pick!

I tensed up, but I figured he knew what he was doing. He gave his tonal approval and then inspected the guitar. He said something like "the finish looks great ... except for these pick scratches."

I said, in my calmest manner, "I DON'T USE A PICK!!111!!!11!!"

So he says "Oh. OK. I'll fix these for you in a jiffy."

And then he proceeded to sand. I couldn't watch. "Oops." He went through the finish.

Anyway, I need to do a little finish touch up now. And I made a new bone nut for it today. :)

• Members

Yeah, the guy is sort of the absent-minded professor type, but I really appreciate all the help he's given me.

And the scratch was only in the finish. The bad thing about shellac is that it's very delicate. The good thing is that it's easy to repair.

• Members

I think different people have different levels of respect for other peoples property. I suppose the more you value personal property the more value you put into others property. :) Your luthier may have just had his mind on getting to one of those "Occupy" rallies and didn't give your guitar the care is deserved. ;)

Archived