A Mutt of a Guitar

gitnoob

• Members

Well, I'll have to leave the truss rod as a cliff hanger. I'm bringing in a lonnnng drill bit tomorrow, and we'll try to drill out the access hole from the truss rod channel. Seems like it should work. I removed a sliver of the top today to expose the channel end.

Also spent a lot of time today redrilling the post holes on the slot head. I did it free-hand last time, and I wasn't very happy with the results. So I bought a plug cutter, made some mahogany plugs, and plugged a couple of the holes. Then I bought a dowel jig to give me better alignment. I'm happier now. :)

Finally, I decided on a binding scheme. I bought some Koa binding at the GAL show ostensibly for a future build, but I'm going to use it for this one. I just finished gluing in the Koa end graft a few minutes ago.

3133es7.jpg

BTW, I was patting myself on the back after I cut out the channel for the end graft. Much cleaner than my uke channel. And then I drove the chisel into my thumb. Ouch. I've learned so many valuable lessons during this friggin' project. :(

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last update for a week or so while I take a short break. Didn't want to leave you on the edge of your seats, so I'm happy to report the truss rod access hole drilling was successful and the truss rod has been safely tucked into the channel and sealed in happily ever after. :)

The Koa binding was a disaster. Lots of run-out / short grain. Broke two pieces while bending and decided to change my binding plans.

2s64x88.jpg

Switched to the same Rosewood with maple strip that I used for the uke, and it bent like buttah. Not sure yet how I'm going to integrate the new binding with the Koa end graft. I could add a black purfling line under the Rosewood/maple. Or maybe just miter the maple layer with the black purfling framing the Koa. Ugh.

24npmjo.jpg

• Members

Sorry the koa binding didn't work out. The rose/maple binding looks very good, though. I used something very similar on the git I just finished. I like it - it makes it look like I did some fine side purfling work that I never actually had to do...

Nice end graft.

• Members

I'm back from vacation. Took the family to a resort in the Cascades. On the way back, I stopped by the shop of the famous guitar builder Michael Gurian. He's now in the business of making fancy purfling and binding. And he had a few sticks of Koa binding. :)

(I was never very happy with the idea of Rosewood binding on Rosewood back/sides.)

So the binding channels are cut, the Koa binding is bent, and I'm now in the process of dry fitting the binding.

qqbfh1.jpg

• Members

I'm glad to hear you got your second chance. I'm constantly amazed at how generous many luthiers are to newbies in their field. That koa binding looks pretty good - even for a dry fitting. I bet it'll really look great when it comes time for finishing.

• Members

Looking good, mang. :thu:

Very cool deal, visiting the Gurian shop, let alone actually acquiring the koa binding. Thanks for the reminder about his marquetry stuff - that's a website I'll need to bookmark. I'm going to do koa bindings on git #3 (another cocobolo jobby). I think rose/rose would have looked good with the separating line of lighter wood, but koa will look better.

• Members

Slow. Painful. Progress!

The top is bound and gagged.

dov534.jpg

Our hero removes the tape, scrapes, sands, and now she is just bound.

ibzaep.jpg

I used CA for the uke and decided to try Titebond for the guitar. Titebond was pretty messy and a bit unwieldy, but at least I didn't glue my fingers together this time. :)

• Members

The Koa binding fought me tooth and nail, but I didn't let it beat me! Here I put the squeeze on and twist the kinky stuff into shape.

3445a2r.jpg

And it yielded to my torture. The back is now bound.

2d9jr6.jpg

And it matches the friggin' end graft!

28c1wjq.jpg

• Members

Lined up the fretboard along the guitar's center line. Drilled index holes through a couple of frets and glued on the fretboard.

2z5lszs.jpg

Interestingly, the guitar build is now neck-and-neck with the uke build. So to celebrate this momentous occasion, I gave them both the same fretboard end design.

2iuc6d5.jpg

Aren't they cute together. :)

• Members

Thanks, Will!

OK, I've hit a small conundrum. The luthier makes classicals mostly, and it turns out that the only fretboard radius sander he has is a 20" radius. I've radiused the fretboard with his sander.

20" is considered pretty flat. Martin uses 16" and I think Taylor uses 15". I'm not sure I have a big preference, but I really like the feel of Martin necks.

So -- do I move forward with the build using 20"? Or do I order another radius sander and wait?

Dammit. I'm going to wait. I'll find something to distract me for a couple days.

• Members

Thanks, Will!

With the uke, I took the "love handles" off the neck with a band saw. This guitar is too big for my little band saw, so I used my Japanese pull saw and then planed down the sides of the neck. Man, I love freshly planed wood. :)

1zp6rn5.jpg

• Members

Thanks, Will!

With the uke, I took the "love handles" off the neck with a band saw. This guitar is too big for my little band saw, so I used my Japanese pull saw and then planed down the sides of the neck. Man, I love freshly planed wood.
:)

Oh yeah! My jack plane needs sharpening but my block plane just zips through softwood like a hot knife through butter. I also got my 3/4" chisel similarly sharp and I had to happily clean up TWO dustpans full of perfect little 1/2" wide rolls of parchment. It was just for practice though.

Archived