Other hobbies besides music & guitars?

TCBronson

• Members

My hobbies are the same with one exception - my son doesn't play soccer anymore and he stepped up from rec baseball to travel baseball. Coaching travel baseball is a big commitment. It runs from January to September.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
If I'm not doing something like this......

th_KatieandOpa.jpg

I'm usually here..........

shop.jpg

Or, more often than not, here.........

DeskDone.jpg

I really need to ge out more.......

lol. I don`t get out very much either Opa. I kind of stay stuck out here in the woods/hills, but I love it.

• Members

I have a few hobbies to many, I think...

Biking. Up until recently I rode my bike for 1000+ hours a year trying to make a career out of it.

Fishing. Man, I love fishing. It's something about the solitude. Mainly trout and cod.

Photography. Another thing I enjoy fiddling around with.

Collecting records. I don't collect records just for the sake of it, but I do find myself collecting different versions of the same albums etc. The music has to be good, though.

That's probably the ones I spend most of my time and money on, but there's also smaller ones like books, movies and the extremely un-specified "making stuff", which includes everything from brewing ginger-ale to building amplifiers.

• Members

I have a few hobbies to many, I think...

Biking. Up until recently I rode my bike for 1000+ hours a year trying to make a career out of it.

Fishing. Man, I love fishing. It's something about the solitude. Mainly trout and cod.

Photography. Another thing I enjoy fiddling around with.

Collecting records. I don't collect records just for the sake of it, but I do find myself collecting different versions of the same albums etc. The music has to be good, though.

That's probably the ones I spend most of my time and money on, but there's also smaller ones like books, movies and the extremely un-specified "making stuff", which includes everything from brewing ginger-ale to building amplifiers.

I like to fiddle around with photography, too...I spend hours out on our deck trying to take pictures of hummingbirds...

DSC028381.jpg

DSC027851.jpg

DSC02547-1.jpg

We took a cruise last fall...I got this pic standing from the balcony of our cabin...

DSC076371.jpg

• Members

My hobbies are lifestyle and are the reason I live where I do. I hike, climb (rock, ice, alpine), ski (back country, front country, track), paddle (flatwater, whitewater, tour), bike (mostly mtn now, don't race anymore).

I still fool around with cars - a couple of pieces of rust from my motorhead days take up space in the garage.

And lately I'm trying to learn how to build guitars since I'll never learn how to play them very well.

work keeps gettiing in the way

Funny, I went back to page one (and 2008) and found that I'm doing exactly the same things today that I did then. Went skiing yesterday and took a bike ride, going rock climbing this evening, tripped over one of the cars in the middle of the garage, and still trying to learn to play guitar. Work is still in the way and my retirement just got postponed.

• Members

Guns. I pretty much stopped that hobby, sold one and gave away another. I have one .22 Colt (1923 Pre-Woodsman) and a .22 Ruger 10-22 rifle left. I won't shoot either of them. Just not my caliber of choice. Prefer .45 1911 model, which I gave to a fellow for completing 20 years military service only to go thru a divorce and lose most of his pension to child support. The irony.

I don't have an aviation hobby anymore. I lost my medical via a misadventure and now can only flap my arms and wish. But, there's always hope. Through the miracle of medicine and lucid staffing at the FAA I might get it back. I doubt the latter part of that equation will ever exist, if it ever has at all. There's always hope. I do work on planes occasionally but most of my work is related to components and training mechanics to work on them - consulting. I will say aviation, for me, has been a very colorful career ranging all over the globe experiencing probably more than anyone else will ever be glad they didn't in their lives, and I did it before I reached 30 years old. The saga continued from there but most of it is stuff you hope to forget one day. Wonderful stuff.

Nope, I have a car coming that will keep the dirt properly under my nails and just might get a small 18' catamaran sailboat like a Hobie 18 for a local lake. I used to sail one in the Gulfstream off Ft Lauderdale Beach in the early 80s. What a scream. The lake will just be pleasurable by contrast. The lion's share will be time dedicated to playing guitar. I might even take up teaching it if patience finds its way into my veins.

Neal, I'm not getting the clue. You like pink misting certain earthly creatures?

Bummer about the aviation. The reference is to an HBO series -Dexter. He's a serial killer.

• Members

No sweat about the aviation. It paid the bills and more. So, you are a hobbyist serial killer. How does that work? I can see the point of it. I mean, killers get that thrill from taking a life whether they are soldiers at war or game hunters in the field. Get the quarry in the sights, the heart rate goes up, the finger starts the squeeze - kerplowie! Another notch in the stock. Save the casings! They're reloadable. I've seen an awful lot of it in my travels in the ME doing consulting work. But I don't think you really mean serial killer. I think you mean cereal killer. Me to.
I can knock out a box of Coco Puffs in an hour flat without trying. Frosted Mini Wheats, Honey Bunches of Oats and even plain whole rolled oats straight into a bowl with some milk and a sprinkle of sugar are great. I hate cooked oat meal. I might hang wall paper with it but it's too gamey to eat. But, is that a hobby?

YUM....Coco Puffs!!! :thu:

They're positively addicting. Like you, I can wolf down an entire box in an hour or so, so I seldom buy 'em anymore. I have more control over my Frosted Mini Wheats appetite, so that's what's sitting in the pantry now.

• Members
I like to fiddle around with photography, too...I spend hours out on our deck trying to take pictures of hummingbirds...

We took a cruise last fall...I got this pic standing from the balcony of our cabin...

Great photos! :thu:

• Members

YUM....Coco Puffs!!!
:thu:

They're positively addicting. Like you, I can wolf down an entire box in an hour or so, so I seldom buy 'em anymore. I have more control over my Frosted Mini Wheats appetite, so that's what's sitting in the pantry now.

Nah. Fruit Loops beat the crap out of Coco Puffs every day of the week.

• Members

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to take this opportunity to get a little something off of my chest.

ahem...

Dear Facebook-users,

Sleeping is not a hobby, it is simply a biological necessity. If sleeping is the most interesting thing about you, you shouldn't be wasting your time on Facebook. Log off, go outside, and see if someone will throw you a football or a frisbee or a musical instrument or something.

God bless.

• Members

Wow this is quite the zombie thread. Looks like I didn't post in it--it was started back when I first began recording.

I have no hobbies. I have a day job (perfesser) and a night job (songwriting/guitar playing/recording). I love both "jobs", but the former pays the bills and the latter is my life's prime directive. Much more than a hobby. I also am a runner but it's more a necessary habit than a hobby.

• Members

Another denizen of page one still up to the same old doings. 42 days skiing so far this year and Spring is our big season.

This year I added road bike touring to the list of hobbies. That, and sleeping on Facebook. :D

• Members

Guess this qualifies as a hobby due to spending more money on it than it could ever possibility be worth. It's a 1989 Volvo 240 (the flying brick). I'm the original owner and it's spent the last 3 years in storage. Prior to that it served 10 years as a go to church car for my little old lady Mother in Law. Only 140K on it so I decided it deserved a 2d life. Cheap paint job, not so cheap fuel system fixes and lots more to fix or replace. So when I'm not playing the guitar I'm working on the old Swede.

volvo.jpg

• Members

besides guitar i like to make scale models.Here is my latest(in progress)!
2012_0122Spock0063.jpg

Nice!...I'm a lifelong modeler..I'll get into it for a couple years...then it goes away and a few years later I'll start back.:lol:

I've always been into military aircraft...here's a few...

100_1883.jpg

100_1884.jpg

100_1881.jpg

100_1878.jpg

Archived