Other hobbies besides music & guitars?

TCBronson

• Members

Just curious as to what other hobbies folks here are into besides music and guitars? Or maybe this isn't a hobby, but a vocation!

Myself, motorcycles...I take at least one or two road trips a year. Always wanted to ride to Alaska and thinking about doing that in June.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, music and guitars are my career. So hobbies would be beer & wine, good food, film. I'd like to find time to write, but every time I try to sit down to that I'm either too full, too drunk, or there's a good flick on. Or I've got to go play guitar (aka go to work).

Someone has a sig from Brozman ... "you don't work guitar, you play guitar." I love it. :)

Even though it's my "work," I still come home and play for fun and the joy of the instrument.

• Members

A few...

Gardening

Camping

Hiking

Bow Hunting

Fishing

Defensive Pistol Shooting/Training

Boy Scouts of America - Leader

Woodworking

Zymergy - beer making

Family

Collecting female navel lint

Cooking

I'll find a few more to keep me busy this summer...

• Members

Fighting.....

Seriously, but not what you think. I'm a huge fan of combat sports such as Mixed Martial Arts (most people think UFC), Kickboxing, Boxing, Jui Jitsu, Judo, etc.... As a cop I actually train in several of these disciplines for work and find it quite enjoyable as well as useful against criminals who would rather try to kill a police officer to get free than go to jail.

• Members

My hobbies are lifestyle and are the reason I live where I do. I hike, climb (rock, ice, alpine), ski (back country, front country, track), paddle (flatwater, whitewater, tour), bike (mostly mtn now, don't race anymore).

I still fool around with cars - a couple of pieces of rust from my motorhead days take up space in the garage.

And lately I'm trying to learn how to build guitars since I'll never learn how to play them very well.

work keeps gettiing in the way

• Members

My hobbies are lifestyle and are the reason I live where I do. I hike, climb (rock, ice, alpine), ski (back country, front country, track), paddle (flatwater, whitewater, tour), bike (mostly mtn now, don't race anymore).

I still fool around with cars - a couple of pieces of rust from my motorhead days take up space in the garage.

And lately I'm trying to learn how to build guitars since I'll never learn how to play them very well.

work keeps gettiing in the way

You mention cars, I used to be a gear head, loved the old muscle cars, owned quite a few off and on. I like to be different (as some of you know) and was into Buick GS muscle cars.

• Members

Playing drums, oh wait, thats music. Hmmmm...... OH Playing Piano! Darn thats music again...............PLaying bass! dang it! Eating babies!!! Oh darn thats music to! Oh! Listening to music. That doesn't really count does it?

• Members

BTW, this thread may be off topic but I still think its cool. The forum has tons of regulars and a little insight outside of music as to their interests is cool.

Might help some find some common ground.......

And Freeman I think everyone around here is in agreement that you both play and build guitars pretty darn well.

• Members

I just collect crap/memoribilia, Anything Good Humor, NYPD, used to collect diecast cars/trucks but quit years ago.(still got a ton! "4 sale") Custom painted motorcycles and helmets for a spell. Now it's just the guitars and smooth rich Lagers :)

Almost forgot... 2002 Local Chili cookoff Champion!

• Members

TC - I am glad that you decided to stay with us.

When I was a young man I played Judo and competed locally and nationally. It was a great time. A bad back finally ended my Judo days. About 15 years ago I got into weight lifting and eventually competed in that as well. There were some great times there as well, but eventually the arthritis and tendonitis got to be too much and I had to quit that as well. Now I play guitar, go to open-mikes, write music, read, go to the beach in the summer - pretty much all old-guy stuff.

• Members

I like martial arts too. Took tae kwon do when i was a kid and tried kung fu (northern shaolin) when i moved to the states again.

Also like to keep a lot of herps (reptiles and amphibians). The most challenging thing i kept by far was a poison dart frog :thu:

• Members

I build/mod/repair guitars as a hobby (I'm actually better at that than I am a player)

Other hobbies include:

Canoeing

Camping... hiking... all the outdoor stuff

Motorcycles (I have a couple of classic Harleys)

Woodworking

Black powder shooting

Cooking

Beer making (haven't done that for awhile)

Just reading through the thread, looks like quite a few people with common interests. :thu:

• Members

You mention cars, I used to be a gear head, loved the old muscle cars, owned quite a few off and on. I like to be different (as some of you know) and was into Buick GS muscle cars.

You mention motorcycles - I ride a bit but not tours like you - mostly commute to work and day trippin'. A few years ago my wonderful wife gave me little HD XL1200 for Christmas that didn't stay stock very long (LOL). I know, its a "girlie bike" but its nice for the way I ride. Currently dripping oil in the garage are a '64 Morgan Plus 4 and a '75 BMW 2002 with all the usual mods - I used to track it. I'd give my left ear for the car I bought when I graduated in 1969 - brand showroom new Z28 Camero (the 302 TransAm race motor). That was back when I was racing motorboats - the Z was the tow car. You couldn't buy gas for it nowdays so I guess there wouldn't be much point, eh?

I've posted pics of the cars and bike before - guess I could do it again tonight if you are interested.

• Members

A few years ago my wonderful wife gave me little HD XL1200 for Christmas that didn't stay stock very long (LOL). I know, its a "girlie bike" but its nice for the way I ride.

Not a girlie bike! Sportsters are cool. Someday I'll get one. I think doing a thread of "guitars and gears" would be cool. There's one going on over in EG now.

• Members

Besides guitar, I am also a stargazer. I have a couple of telescopes (4.5

inch dob, 8 inch dob), and am happy actively hunting down new sights, or

just kicking back and taking in the beauty of Saturn (truly a jewel), or

the rich details of the lunar surface. Like music, it is just good for the

soul.

cheers,

andrew

• Members

Between trackcountry, backcountry and resort, I ski 40 to 50 days a year. Apre spring, I try to get outta town to mtn bike every weekend. Rock climb a bit in the fall. The wife and I do at least one backpacking trip a year. Read a little history and record a lot of stuff that wouldn't pass as music.

• Members

Between trackcountry, backcountry and resort, I ski 40 to 50 days a year. Apre spring, I try to get outta town to mtn bike every weekend. Rock climb a bit in the fall. The wife and I do at least one backpacking trip a year. Read a little history and record a lot of stuff that wouldn't pass as music.

Where is home?

• Members

I used to like to ride my bicycle at least twice a week on the local trail. I bought a Trek a few years ago but only got to ride it regularly for a year or two before becoming a stay at home dad. Now I'm lucky to make it out even to the mailbox. I've looked at those kiddie trailer/buggy things but now I have two who are too disparate in size to sit side by side. The older boy is autistic so I'm afraid he'll do something where I can't stop in time.

Archived