Other hobbies besides music & guitars?

TCBronson

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do models as a hobby too. But totally different than the beautiful examples above. I gave been involved in live steam locomotives for many years. Both the ride on kind and garden railroad scale, 1:20.3. Many of my models are completely scratch built with doing all the machining and wood work myself.

2-4-0%20ruby.jpg

boxcar1.jpg

pass%20car2.jpg

I was marketing this engine a few years back with pretty good success, just no profit
:)
0004-13.jpg
Bob

Bob,

These are outstanding!

What did you charge for the engine?

• Members

Lon, thanks for the compliments! I was selling them for $1500. I would still be making them today if I had not lost all my machining tools in the forest fires many years back. But, then, that is also what got me back into my music. Here is a closer picture of one of them.

Bob_Starr1.jpg

I have designed a new one with overhead beam engines and hope to build it some day. I am rebuilding my shop.

grasshopper%20wood%20frame.jpg

Bob

• Members

I would still be making them today if I had not lost all my machining tools in the forest fires many years back.

I have designed a new one with overhead beam engines and hope to build it some day. I am rebuilding my shop.

grasshopper%20wood%20frame.jpg
Bob

I have an interest in Stirling engines so I'm slightly familiar with the overhead beam design.

You a machinist?

• Members

My hobbies are shortwave radio listening, amateur radio (VA3TFC) and for many many years photography but now there is a camera built into almost every device so taking pictures is mundane. I was really into B&W film and had my own darkroom setup for years. I also used to collect vintage roll film cameras. I sold all my gear about 10 years ago. I haven't done the radio hobby in years because I really haven't had a permanent place to live and set up any VHF/UHF amateur radio equipment and the antenna that goes with it. I used to run a small handheld but that's really only good for local communications.

Right now all I have is the guitar and the internet.

• Members

My hobbies are shortwave radio listening, amateur radio (VA3TFC) and for many many years photography but now there is a camera built into almost every device so taking pictures is mundane. I was really into B&W film and had my own darkroom setup for years. I also used to collect vintage roll film cameras. I sold all my gear about 10 years ago. I haven't done the radio hobby in years because I really haven't had a permanent place to live and set up any VHF/UHF amateur radio equipment and the antenna that goes with it. I used to run a small handheld but that's really only good for local communications.

Right now all I have is the guitar and the internet.

Same goes for me. A high-stress, physically demanding job combined with a crummy shift (graveyard) leaves me little time to do much more than drink a beer or two and vegetate in my off hours. And git is slowly falling by the wayside, though I try to pick up one every day. :cry:

• Members

The US paid big bucks to the region's inhabitants for the knowledge of Bin Laden's whereabouts. Those people knew but kept silent as long as the money held out. When he got "discovered" (stumbled upon just like Hussein) and the money ran out the inhabitants dropped the facade and wanted us out. Prior to that, they gave misinformation and allied themselves with the US "cause" as their own. This plan allowed them to get armed and trained by the US gratis. The US is sooooo stupid it's become a lucrative global hobby for all nations to play it like an arcade game. NATO is the key player in getting the US to take the bait, too.

My hobby is watching it work to the antagonist's advantage - every single time.

Do you seriously believe this?

Didn't someone say it was actually "nuanced" in a complicated sort of way.

• Members

Just curious as to what other hobbies folks here are into besides music and guitars? Or maybe this isn't a hobby, but a vocation!

Myself, motorcycles...I take at least one or two road trips a year. Always wanted to ride to Alaska and thinking about doing that in June.

Firstly, I apologize for taking so long to respond......things have been crazy, I am sure you know all about it...:rolleyes:

Tennis

• Members

I just got this in the mail today. It's a Coleman CQ lamp made in the early 1920s. It uses regular lantern mantles and runs on Coleman fuel. They were made for folks who lived in rural areas without electricity. It fired right up...the old Coleman stuff is amazing quality.:cool:

It's the first one I've seen in person...I was surprised at how big it is. Here it is next to a Coleman Air-O-Lantern, which is a big lantern in itself...

DSC09727.jpg

Here it is fired up...puts out a nice amount of light. I believe they were rated at 300cp.

DSC09723.jpg

• Members

A fair price for that level of detail and your ability to distress them. That boxcar in the post above, in the perfect scene would be indistiguishable from a real, fullsize train car.

I have an interest in Stirling engines so I'm slightly familiar with the overhead beam design.

You a machinist?

Lon,

Sorry, didn't see this till today for some reason. I like to call myself a machinist :) I am pretty much self taught. I did a lot of special effects for a stop animation movie company that required me to learn. You can see the movies here: http://www.johnclarkmatthews.com/movies.php

These are great and fun for kids to watch, most were shown on PBS

Bob

Archived