Other hobbies besides music & guitars?

TCBronson

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Current hobbies:

Cooking
Drinking beer and wine (both of which I used to make in vast quantities)
Reading
Listening to music (mainly Renaissance, Baroque and opera)
Hill-walking
Natural History
Gardening
Community activities
Grandchildren
And, of course, HCAG

Past hobbies:

Karate
Yoga
Children
Self-education (added History, Geography, Botany and Astronomy to subjects studied at college)

• Members
rarely got to use your art talent...you mean profesionally? well, that doesn`t stop me...I sell just enough paintings to keep me in teaching. I was a studio art major...painting and drawing are as natural as breathing to me. Pick up a pencil or brush and get busy. Van Gogh couldn`t give his work away...didn`t stop him...priced any Van Goghs lately?

Let me clarify.....I take a lot of photos...all the time. I gave up my studio 4x5 and 2-1/4 stuff for digital...(still got an old Canon 35 system though). I love my work, but I have never displayed or sold any. I did have one image purchased by the Rockford Art Museum years ago and another I gave to the city of Oregon, Illinois but other than that, all mine are in my own vault at home. I don't draw or paint much anymore. Gimp, Photoshop, Illustrator, TVPaint, and a bunch of other programs kinda stole that pen and brush away from me. Here's a sample of a drawing though...it is keeping in with our forum topic....I made this up for a friend.

2309429995_510227cbb2_o.jpg

• Members
.......BTW - funny you ended up in the business sector. I'd have given my eye-teeth for some basic "how to run your own business" skills back in school. I could have really used those skills when I was getting jerked around by overly-demanding clients who were tight with their money.

I'm not too sure that my business background taught me about handling tightwads, but for future help...always mention the money up front, build value in what you are doing, and always let them know what your terms are. And thats done before you provide any services. If the client understands you mean business, they usually stay in line when it comes to paying. Of course you can always set the dogs on them too.;)

...Actually, now that I read what i just wrote, it really applies to everything in life.

• Members

Racing cars - active in SCCA events. Recently sold the formula car, but still enjoy Autocross competition in my tin-top;

Gardening - flowers and veggies, to include home-canning of all those garden goodies;

Fishing - nearby river full of bass, white perch, bream. Sometimes I enjoy tossing a lure, other times I kick back under an overhanging shade tree, sip a beer and wait for the bobber to dunk;

Needlework - crochet and needlepoint;

Ice skating - was competitive skater many moons ago and still make the 1.5-hour trek to the nearest rink for some ice time now and then;

Horseback riding - hunter/jumper. Never did care much for cowboy-type riding, though I do enjoy watching a good rodeo once in awhile.

• Members

Hunting-mostly trad bow but also shotgun,rifle, and ML.
Fishng-mostly with fly tackle but on ocasion I use spin/cast as well.These days almost all is freshwater but whenever I get back to LI visiting my buds I hit the salt.Started tying my own flys a couple years ago.
Kayaking-This is what I use for fishing most of the time but also enjoy just padelling around for fun/excercise.
In the summer I like to run and bike.In winter-X country ski'n and snowshoe'n.
I dabble some with 35m photography but not all that much.
In my younger days I loved riding off-road/MX but thats a young mans game.Still,on occasion I've considered buying a trail/street bike just to fool around on.Maybe something around 250cc.Lots of seasonal dirt roads and trails here in the park.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

This thread has pointed out a major inconsistency in my life:

My 2 other hobbies are sailing and scuba, but I live in the muddy ohio valley. Interestingly, it mirrors my interest in playing guitar, keyboards and singing, because I am a trainwreck at all 3. I guess I like a challenge.

• Members

Hoddy, that is probably the most unusual combination of utility and impracticality I've seen lashed together in a single product. Sort of like taking the kitchen sink camping; a durable lamp with a fragile glass shade. But, those mantles are about as durable to bumping as a soap bubble is to a pin so I guess from that perspective it's a match. Still, I'm thinking Easter dress on a turtle.

They weren't made for camping...they were made for home use. Remember when they were made many rural areas were still without electricity.

• Members

Very true. I have no memory of that but I can see where Ma could mail-order herself a fancy lantern for special days.

I would imagine all of us relate Coleman with camping, but they first started out making home appliances for those in rural areas...even their first lanterns were marketed towards farmers and ranchers to use at night out in their barns and stuff. They made some very neat stuff back then...here's one of their ranges...it too runs on white gas (Coleman fuel)...I'd love to find one of those to restore!

b8txSR-XxAKHGaJeihx2PA.jpg

They made several different models of clothes irons that ran on Coleman fuel...this one is mine, it's a Coleman model 4...

DSC08999.jpg

• Members

I guess I can Jump in as well, I love zombie threads that return from the dead:
I try and keep busy has a few
Cooking / catering
Gardening
Photography mostly digital now but I still shoot a little film once in a great while
and along with this I have started collecting old cameras nothing special have a mix from Brownie Hawkey to kodak to a whole slew of 35mm cameras a few poloroids and sx70 models as well Just cameras that either meant something to me or I found for some reason neat
Boating (Currently without a boat thanks to the economy)
Fishing
Guns
Still do a great deal of wood working
I guess a hobby also is slowly refurbishing our 111 year old home, I bought in knowing it required much TLC but I really liked the old house detailfrcorner.jpg the house is full of Chestnut trim that was all cut from a local farm DSC_6620.jpg

Off and on I fix up cars, Been a little while since I had the itch to do it again, I have been thinking of redoing my Jeep. here is the last one I did, a Mustang for my stepdaughter 24498690121_large.jpg, 24498690120_large.jpg this was my first paint job as well did it a few years ago when she was just 16 This May She Graduates from College. She has since sold the car, hoped it would have been her keeper but It wasn't.

Another Past Hobby, I Used to be very involved with Sprint car racing was a part car owner, never drove but worked pit crew, my business was partial sponsor, to Pa Racers Steve Siegel, Daryl Gohn, AL Kuhn, Dodd Williams, and Dan Dietrich
As a hobby and a break from my regular machine shop business, I did machine shop work for many of the Pennsylvania Possie and made many custom parts etc.

Another (former) hobby relating to my old machine shop and welding and fabrication business was I built custom boats, my largest was a 50 foot long houseboat Here is a picture of our first houseboat we built, a 45 footer that that was kept at Lake Raystown (Pa) . P8185877.jpgIt is sitting abandoned and rotting away. I repurchased it and was going to refurbish it and enjoy it again Then the economy went to hell. I have since given the boat away I just do not have the funds and will not for a while (or so it appears) Broke my heart would have loved to put her back to her former glory and had it again to enjoy! I guess it was just not meant to be again.

Another past hobby worth mention, I used to do a lot of candle making , large scale, all types of candles

• Members

Here's a nice old Coleman lantern I got a few weeks ago...it's a Coleman Air-O-Lantern, I believe it was the 3rd model lantern that Coleman made. They were produced from 1916 to 1924. This was before Coleman started stamping the date made on them, but since this one doesn't have a baffle plate and the burner tube doesn't have the 1919 patent date stamped in it, it was made between 1916 - 1918. I cleaned it up a bit...put a reproduction mica globe on it and it fired right up. It's amazing to me that something that was made almost 100 years ago still functions like new. You won't find that in things made today!

DSC09573.jpg

• Members

Man, I read. That's it. Other than the usual, but the topic is not music, etc..

Coleman lanterns, Houseboats, martial arts..... I'm a bore.

The only other hobby is trying to live past 54, and I've got 7 months under my belt on that. Exercise, low carb diet. Reading. (and uke and guitars). 'Bout it. Politics is an obsession, but not a hobby. Tryin' to think here..... hmmm..... what else do I do...... throw Frisbee for my dog....

Boring compared to some of you. Not Pitar though, we're both boring. But he has planes, not so boring. Hey! Pitar, what about aviation?

• Members

I'm sure that somewhere in this zombie thread someone had mentioned almost every normal hobby activity. What the hell.

This was my latest project. I bought it as a basket case, now I ride it.
attachment.php?attachmentid=344381&d=133

But my favorite hobby is collecting guns and shooting. One of my latest acquisitions.
attachment.php?attachmentid=344383&d=133

and reloading.
attachment.php?attachmentid=344382&d=133

[ATTACH=CONFIG]344381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]344381[/ATTACH]

• Members

Ok, so I lied. I have hobbies. Well, ONE hobby that I just can't seem to shake. Don't want to say exactly, but here's a clue....

Don't let this stop you from getting on my bad side or anything, I research before... well, you know.

dexter-season-6-promo.jpg

Archived