Acoustic Guitar Order

poppytater

• Members

Well, I'm not familiar with any of the European brands, so I'll have to go with brands I am familiar with.

Martin > Guild > Gibson > Larrivee > Blueridge > Alvarez > Yamaha > Taylor. The only reason I put Taylor behind the others is not due to quality. I feel Taylor makes excellent guitars.......I'm just not crazy about the Taylor sound.

I haven't had exposure to too many brands myself. There are only a few that I know well or have actually owned. I can't really rate gits I don't know well or that have been out of reach for me (Collings, Santa Cruz, etc.). My own overgeneralized scale of preference would be something like this:

Gibson > Martin > Guild > Larrivee > Yamaha > Taylor.

And any one of them could, at times, overtake the others. I have a little bit of bias against Taylors (despite relentless GAS for a GS Mini) for their tendency toward brightness, but I've heard a few that sound stunning and do not exhibit the abundant brightness that tends to turn me off. And I really admire Bob Taylor as a brilliant innovator. I love Martin's looks, diverse line and build quality but damn I really love Gibson acoustics.

I thought building guitars would cure me of coveting other guitars, but that is nonsense. For one thing, it'll be years before my detail execution matches that of even the lowest-tier Yamaha (if I ever achieve that level). And for another, I'm sure if you're a chef you still want to dine out from time to time, or have a pizza. I love pizza.

• Members

It's impossible for me to judge, as I've never played any booteek geetars, but I would put Martin at the top of the list that I've played. I was in a shop yesterday, checking out a Hagstrom 12er, and someone was playing a Fender 12. Its headstock was like a hockey stick. :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Fixed for you. No need to thank me.

Why would I thank you for embarrassing me like that? Does this guy darkhorse always go around fixing other peoples posts for them? I can't figure out why he focused his fine tooth comb on me, he must be lots of fun at a party. I wrote him a private message asking him if his post was just about embarrassing another poster, but he hasn't had the guts to reply, he must be a coward which isn't surprising considering his sand bag of a post.

• Members

This is all subjective so based on my limited experience and subject to change on my whim:

Larrivee (any) = Taylor (300 series and above) > Martin (Standard series) > Yamaha (L series) > Masterbilt > Eastman > Takamine (G series)

No opinion given on Gibson because I've only played one and didn't care for it. There are different "levels" for each maker too. I consider the higher-end Takamine to be along the same lines as the Taylor 300-400 series but the G series (with one or two exceptions) are lifeless pieces of overbuilt crap. I also think that the Yamaha L series are along the lines in quality with Martin all-gloss 16 series but the F series I consider to be a step up from the Takamine's G series. Masterbilts blow my socks off tonally but I've happened across a LOT of seconds with workmanship issues. Eastmans I just came across but based on features I'd say that they give Larrivee's 03 series a run for its money and are possibly better than the best Masterbilts I've played but as for now they are neck and neck.

Production-wise I give the nod to Taylor based on the BTOs and limiteds that I've played, and the 700-800 series is abviously right up there with them with regards to quality. As for tone, I gravitate toward the GA and GS models. Since my Larrivee has cured my OM GAS I won't look at the GC model and I refuse to even take a Taylor dread seriously.

• Members
OK.

Collings, then everything else.

Honestly, I cannot understand how Gibson even places in these rankings any longer.

I do. They've got a particular kind of action that appeals to some, and a good tone for using with vocals. At least on some of their guitars do. (A qualifier to apply across the brand spectrum.)

Except for Collings. :)

Which is why it's surprising to me that they hadn't been mentioned in these lists.

• Members

OK.

Collings, then everything else.

Honestly, I cannot understand how Gibson even places in these rankings any longer.

I A/B/C'd Collings, McPherson and Goodall. I walked out with C and can say with certainty I would not buy an A or B. And, being the assembler of retro opinion to current development, today I would probably replace any loss with a properly test driven Yamaha and let all others vilify themselves to players remaining head-stuck in their distinctive woodworkings.

• Members

I don't correlate beyond the ears and hands these days any real value-added weight to the remaining senses. I'll troll all day long about pick guard, cutaways, bling or other silliness just to provide some friction to the larger greasings of traditions and conventions by other boredomites. Uber alles, the sound prevails, though.

I also extend that to label watching. Quality across so many labels is now a slightly scooped midrange and I've been thinking dangerous thoughts about it evolving to nearly indistinguishable. That will occur in my lifetime and I look forward to it. I might have an opportunity to get a Goodall from China and a Martin from Mr. Binh. "When everyone is a super, no one will be." We might even be pondering our reminiscences on this very forum.

For the moment, though, I group all OMs together and make a choice from the ones I have an opportunity to play. I do that for concerts and grand concerts, etc. Those are the models I play. I don't care how they're made or from where anymore. If it's a certain model, I now judge it for that from the standpoint of sound and playability alone. It's as good as I think it is and searching for other sensory-satisfying aspects of sizing and prizing is a yeoman's job, not mine as a player. Gotta think like a player. I don't think I've ever listened to a great player and commented on his work with my eyes. I hope the favor is returned. But, if I rule out everything that isn't sound or playability I think I've arrived at how label fairness should be represented. I won't argue relative costs because that usually involves the other senses with common most times having a smoke outside the store.

• Members

This thread is so rich, I cannot refrain from augmenting the pile!

Why would I thank you for embarrassing me like that? Does this guy darkhorse always go around fixing other peoples posts for them? I can't figure out why he focused his fine tooth comb on me, he must be lots of fun at a party. I wrote him a private message asking him if his post was just about embarrassing another poster, but he hasn't had the guts to reply, he must be a coward which isn't surprising considering his sand bag of a post.

Lighten up, Mac! Noob treatment!

Carry on! :snax:

• Members

Lighten up, Mac! Noob treatment!

Carry on!

Yeah I guess that gave him a good reason to do it and justified him being a total dick. So to better understand, if I had more posts and a longer tenure, that would have prevented him from putting me down publically. OK sounds like flawless logic to be sure, guess in his eyes I deserved it, ya know for being a noob as you say. I guess I don't have to thank him for the humiliation as it was offered totally free of charge, what a guy.

• Members

It really depends.

I have some old Brazilian Martins and some old Gibsons and they're great guitars but very, very different. I have a Guild D-55 from when they were made in RI as a custom order and it's great as well.

Have some newer Martin (D-41) and Gibson (Custom Shop Everly and Hummingbird) and they're nice too.

Had some Taylors, sounded like crap unless they were plugged in. Not my thing.

To compare nice Gibson/Martin/Guild it really depends on the years, the size/materials and what you're trying to get out of it. They're all good but some work better for certain things.

Archived