On a scale of 1 to 10 ...

EdBega

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I (although some may disagree) consider myself a singer who barely manages to provide a reasonable backing in order to convey the words. Owing to wrists that have been broken a few times each, coupled with a lack of ability, I have great difficulty with barre chords and, therefore, reckon I'm somewhere in the intermediate bracket.

• Members

I love how in this forum everyone tries to politic on this stuff. It is pretty simple to state how you view how good you are.

It doesn't matter how good you think you are - it's how good the audience think you are when you're out there doing it. I have heard guitarists who's technical ability far surpasses mine - but who have never played in public. So WTF! As long as they listen to the words without too much discomfort, then that's good enough for me.

• Members

It doesn't matter how good
you
think you are - it's how good the audience think you are when you're out there doing it. I have heard guitarists who's technical ability far surpasses mine - but who have never played in public. So WTF! As long as they listen to the words without too much discomfort, then that's good enough for me.

This pretty much sums it up.

PS. And - compared with many of the guitarists I know - I still consider myself to be beginner +

• Members

The university where I have found gainful employment has a music school of a little over 1000 students and a faculty of 150, founded in 1880 and is ranked as one of the top performing arts schools in the country. I wander over there from time to time, listen to recitals and concerts. Improvisation, ensemble, composing, arranging, directing, sight-reading, they pretty much do it all.

It's a very humbling experience, and they're all young enough to be my children.

How do I rank myself?

oh please.

• Members

you
think you are - it's how good the audience think you are when you're out there doing it. I have heard guitarists who's technical ability far surpasses mine - but who have never played in public. So WTF! As long as they listen to the words without too much discomfort, then that's good enough for me.

Gd post ^^

Ive never been out with ma guitar ..near did but changed ma mind

BUT personally ive not put really much into it especially recently

and realise a need to..

And i also guess that playing in yer own home with no pressure

then you shall probs play better than you maybe shall do in public

as we all know we want to do well in Public

But sometimes with more pressure especially us beginners can mess up

and id reckon that would be a dampener :(

BUT then again if u dont succeed then try try again :)

• Members

you
think you are - it's how good the audience think you are when you're out there doing it.
As long as they listen to the words
without too much discomfort, then that's good enough for me.

ah, but the question is/was "What level guitar player do you consider yourself to be?"

words don't figure into this equation; do they?

• Members

you
think you are - it's how good the audience think you are when you're out there doing it.

That's what's nice about being your own audience. I can entertain myself for hours. Entertain others? Not so much....

• Members

you

You are confusing "guitar player" with "performer"..

• Members

Looks like I'm the highest handicapper in the bunch. I'm the only "D player". I have only been playing since the ifrst of the year but I can play a dozen or so songs pretty well already. I have really been practicing and doing my best to improve. I think I may have finally found something I am a natural at to some dgree. But I would imagine I am by far the worst on these boards. I don't mind the underdog position though. It means I can learn from everyone on here.

• Members

I voted intermediate minus. I have an embarrassingly small repertoire (OK do the jokes and get it over with) as far as knowing songs all they way through is concerned. I can't "jam" because I lack the knowledge of scales. And I don't read music.

Gee, I've just depressed myself. ;)

• Members

Still learning...... Always learning ..... Every day

My grandfather, who was an excellent tenor sax man, and a very good self-taught pianist, once told me that "If you're serious about your instrument, you'll spend the rest of your life learning to play it"...so far, he's been absolutely right! :cool:

• Members

I think my moods have a lot to do with it. Somedays it seems I can do no wrong. Other days, I just put the damn thing back in the case and go do something else. When I feel confident, I play confident. But when I'm down, it's almost like I don't know how to play.

Sammi, I've heard your music.......and you are no beginner. :wave:

Archived