On a scale of 1 to 10 ...

EdBega

• Members

Mandolin according to Don Stiernberg: The advanced mandolin player should be careful not to be better than Don Stiernberg as that would intimidate Don and perhaps hamper his performance with Steve Kaufman which he looks forward to with great relish.

Ha!

That I can manage.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I voted myself an intermediate+

I know several guitar players who leave every forum member in the dust (no offense) but I doubt they would call themselves advanced..

That ^^ I can agree on as in my experience ive always noted that some people whom tend to think they are very gd
are not quite so gd as they think..

The better players are normally the ones whom dont tend to want to sound as big-headed they are normally quieter
more relaxed players and are the ones whom are the better players

Sure some guitarists here whom have played for many yrs shall be pretty gd players through experience

But there shall be the odd one or 2 whom isnt as gd as his markings make out i reckon ;)

• Members

And anyone who tells you otherwise is a tone-deaf liar! :cop:

Edit: I joke of course. I'd say about 7... But the thing is I'm always open to and actively seek advice, constructive criticism and ways to improve as a guitar player as a musician and as an artist.

• Members

I put intermediate+. According to Spytunes, their definition of 'advanced' songs are not a problem for me. So, it depends on the definition. I am, I'd say, above average, and I have the occasional gust up to brilliant, but I can't turn that on at will. I'd need to practice a helluva lot more than I am doing right now to get there.

• Members

Strumming, chord changing, keeping rythm: 6
Fingerpicking and playing leads: 1

People that don't know much about music (other than "sounds good to me") think I'm great. People pay me to play at their weddings.

I have a friend who I'd say is a 8.5 or 9 says "you're a lot better than you give yourself credit for."

Another friend, a top-notch pro player and instructor (9.5 to 10), says "you keep pretty good time." I'll take that as a compliment.:thu:

• 2 years later...

Archived