I hate my guitar's neck

Freeman Keller

• Members

My latest project is a copy of an old Stella 12 string, roughly based on some dimensions that I found at one of the luthier forums. The neck measurements seemed a little stout, but I figured I'd go ahead and build it that way.

I got far enough along to string it up the other day and all I can say is those old blues men must have had really big hands. I simply couldn't play that puppy. So off came the neck and out came instruments of destruction

IMG_1997.jpg

I made a template of my favorite modern 12 string neck, and chisel, spokeshave and 80 grit emery paper made quick work of many coats of lacquer and a little extra mahogany

IMG_1998.jpg

A dozen or so coats (thats the way water based lacquer looks when its just been shot)

IMG_1999.jpg

and I think I'll like this a lot better

IMG_2001.jpg

• Members

If at first you don"t........

Well alot of extra work involved, looks like you did nice work....

so it may not be period or model correct, But if it is something you will find comfy and play then it was the right way to go....

Again, always enjoy your working pics and descriptions, you usually do quite well with this!

• Members

In olden times, there were still plenty of big mahogany trees around, so guitar builders didn't have to scrimp. My 1260 has a mahogany neck like a baseball bat, and a one piece hog back. I've had forty years to get used to the neck.

• Members

that is just too freakin cool. man what a concept!! I dont like it so I'll take it off and work it until I do. Freeman now I just gotta make me a git. for someone so good, how can I convince my wife that the devil made me buy this kit git

• Members

Well, if you won't be comfortable playing it, period-correct be damned, I say.

Your guitars are gorgeous, BTW
:love:

+1

If you customize the neck, it'll be a joy to play and still have that uber-cool Stella sound. Good decision, FK. Keep us posted. Can't wait to see the little beauty when it's finished.

• Members

Nice work.

Is there any way to make a neck THICKER?

You can marginally increase neck size by slowly building up it's finish or stripping it's finish, reprofiling and "wrapping/laminating" the neck with veneer, but it can be a slow process.

The simplest and IMHO best options are to either replace the neck or the instrument for one with a better overall feel to it.

• Members

Quick answers to a lot of questions

- it is a bolt on and I hadn't glued down the f/b extension. Neck has been on and off for final setting, threw some strings on and...... hated it

- finish is StewMac water based - so easy for me to buy stuff from them. KTM-9 is supposed to be great finish, but I haven't used it. Water based does not "melt" into previous coats like nitro does so I will have some slight "witness lines"

- The neck is about 1/16 less thick in the middle now and somewhat more vee'd. When I built my OM-12 I copied a D12-28 neck, this one is now the same. I think Martin calls it a modified oval, all I know is it is what I'm used too

- how do I know its strong enough? Well, my D12-28 is 29 years old, has a non adjustable truss rod and almost perfect relief so I figured it should be OK for this one. It's longer scale, but will be tuned down - I frankly haven't calculated the tension.

- making a neck thicker would be a lot of work, you could replace the fretboard with a thicker one (and a taller saddle), probably best to just replace it. With a Guild LOL

Now out to the shop, I've got some setup work to do

Archived