rickenbackers and staying in tune...

boyakasha

• Members

does anyone have experience with the ability of rickenbackers to stay in tune? obviously they're quality instruments, and i'm thinking of getting one, but i've heard from various sources (including something about paul weller of the jam using them on stage for looks "despite their not staying in tune.") that they don't stay in tune all that well.

first of all, is this true? if so, what causes it?

(i'm looking at 360 series, 6 string. possibly 330, 6 string.)

• Members

My '85 with stock Schaller M6's stayed in tune for entire gigs; it could even hold tuning for a year in the case.

The RI ones with the Kulson-knockoff tuners may not work wuite as well, but I can't speak from experience.

I have heard a few reports lately of a shake-up at Schaller (death in the family), and lately people are starting to complain about quality problems. Again, these are second hand reports, but they scare me. Schaller M6's were my favorite tuners, and the rumors of problems (and even possibly of them shutting their doors) are not what I want to hear.

-Y.

• Members

I've had 4 Rickenbackers(325v63,325c58,340 and 330)and the only one that I had a problem staying in tune was the 325c58 because of the funky vibrato and wrong strings.I had put 9s on it when it should have 12s.Now I just have the 330,I use the standard Rickenbacker 10s and it stays in tune very well.Mine is an 04 with the Schaller tuners.I love it!

Rick330.jpg

• 15 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My 480 had issues when I fist got it due to lack of maintenance.  I replaced the frets, nut and bought new Kluson tuners and its been great ever since. I've had it for about 30 years and never needed to touch the dual truss rod either. The neck is perfect and other then a little fret work to level and polish the frets every so often its always retained its tuning. 

• Members

I have  4 Rickenbacker's.

a 330-6 in Fireglow

a 330-12 in Jetglo

a 620 in Fireglo 

and a 350V63 in Midnight  Blue.

Killer guitars.

I never have to adjust them, but made on small truss rod adjustment to the 350V63, when I got it.

I'm a big early REM fan, Paul Weller, Pete Townsend, Johnny Marr, the Byrds, TP and the countless other that have played and love Ricks.

A full string change on a Rick 12 string is like a lot of work. I'm not calling it a day's worth of work, but it will take you a bit of time.

About the only thing you might do to a Rickenbacker is, you may have preference over the toaster picks up ( very low gain pup) over the modern pick ups. I like them both. You might also want to change the knobs to vintage style one. 

In a world often dominated by Les Paul's and Strats, they are a different sound.

When guitar driven rock was king

• Members
2 hours ago, badpenguin said:

I've a 330, and in 5 years, had to make a small adjustment to the truss rods. Otherwise, haven't had to do a thing with it. It's spot on in tune every time I pick it up. And stays in tune as I play it.

My 330 was bought new in 1997, zero issues.

It's still my fav of the Ricks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived