Guitars with P90's

Mikeo

• Members

Hey folks I think I'll be looking at something with P90's in over the next month or so.

You may have read my quest for finding a LP Special, ya know the kind that was made in the 90's and then later on the Gibson started putting P100's> I have tried the LP special DC faded and total though it was over priced and kinda thought it was cheaply made, even though I wanted so much to like it.

I was told the Epiphone LP

• Members

Originally posted by Mikeo

Hey folks I think I'll be looking at something with P90's in over the next month or so.

You may have read my quest for finding a LP Special, ya know the kind that was made in the 90's and then later on the Gibson started putting P100's> I have tried the LP special DC faded and total though it was over priced and kinda thought it was cheaply made, even though I wanted so much to like it.

I was told the Epiphone LP

• Members

I have a Gibson SG Special in which I removed the stock 490R/490T pickups and put in a set of Gibson P94R/P94T. It sounds fantastic!

To me, the P90 folklore has gone a little overboard. They have an interesting, raunchy sound, but there is a clarity and articulation missing that the P94s capture.

Just my biased opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by RothnRoll

what kind of bridge did you use on that SG?

you know, I don't know!

or that is, I thought I did; it's a roller bridge, I was pretty sure I had gotten it from stewmac, but now the only roller bridge tune-o-matic I see there is this one:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Schaller_Roller_Bridge.html

and that's not it (although it looks like it would work great, depending on the post spacing; the one I have has adjustable spacing, which is why I got it)

I can take some closer pics of it if you'd like. I'll try to figure out what it is and get back to you! it works great in any case

:)

• Members

I bought my SG Classic through Guitar Center. They ordered it directly from Gibson -- the contract with MF also extends to GC since they own MF. I know dealer cost on them, won't disclose here. The markup isn't as big as you would think. Lets just say GC didn't make a huge profit from me and MF isn't making a huge profit on these -- enough but not huge like on other brands. I worked it where my price, and they had to include local tax, came to the same amount as the $849 MF price. So you can do the math, our local sales tax is 8.25%.

The Epi LP 56 Goldtop. Plays great and sounds nice, but it doesn't sound like a P90 guitar. They just don't, they are not real P90s, they have more of a humbucker/P100 tone. They don't bite as much, especially under gain. I considered one.

I even owned this before I took it back and ordered the SG Classic, a 1999 Gibson DC Special with P100s. The P100s just are not P90s, they don't sound like them at all under high volume or gain situations. Low volume, pretty close, not quite as much bite. Wonderful playing guitar as well.

I hated to return it, but now have ZERO regrets. I love my SG!!!! And the Tele next to it!!

red2.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Bbreaker

SGJr.jpg
SpecialsLegend.jpg
71LPGoldTop.jpg
PRSMcSoapy.jpg
BB-Jrs-HotBox.jpgGibson03MelodyMaker.jpg

:love:

I'm checking out a les paul junior the same as that sunburst one at the bottom.Its a 2001 historic series.

How do you like yours??Hows it play/sound??Is the lack of a neck pickup a pain??If I get one I plan to use it as my main and only stage/practice guitar.

• Members

My P 90 guitars are a Gibson LP DC Faded and a PRS Soapbar SE... Both are OUTSTANDING P 90 guitars that will stand toe to toe with any P 90 guitar made ....

The LP is a little rougher around the edges... more like a scrappy nasty spoiled brat, and the PRS SE is more refined and elegant.. It DOES stand up against its US brothers , both in workmanship and sound...

DO NOT confuse the Korean built PRS with Epis, Agiles etc... they are cleary a cut above.. For about $350-400 or so in mint cond, on ebay, the PRS Soapbar SE is your BEST bet in a P 90 axe hands down... This is my 5th PRS... The other 4 were USA built BIG DOLLAR guitars.. This SE feels looks and sounds the same as the USA PRS IMHO... I can feel or see no difference.

The Les Paul DC faded,P90 are going up.. you'll pay close to $600 now... grab the PRS and enjoy.. I LOVE mine.... bob

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

That is a thing of beauty. What year? 67?

I had a chance to buy one of those for $1100 a year ago, and I walked away (needed new frets). I should have done it.

Doc, that SG Junior is actually a 1999 re-issue that I bought at a guitar show a few years ago for $500.00.

I have no idea why Gibson would discontinue such a fine basic guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by riffpowers

I'm checking out a les paul junior the same as that sunburst one at the bottom.Its a 2001 historic series.

How do you like yours??Hows it play/sound??Is the lack of a neck pickup a pain??If I get one I plan to use it as my main and only stage/practice guitar.

I haven't played Gibson's '57 Historic Junior but my sunburst Jr is an actual 1956.

It's a great basic guitar. 1950's Les Paul Juniors have a Honduras mahogany neck and body with a Brazillian rosewood fretboard. They're stripped down bare bones guitars that are made well and sound great.

The neck is like a baseball bat cut in half.:love: It's light as a feather.

I've never had a problem with the one dog eared P 90. You learn to use the tone control for different sounds and develop palming and picking techniques almost accidentally to compensate for the basic layout.

It's a shame that these guitars are so expensive these days. I'm going to be 53 and I remember when these things were $150.00 in the 60's. Les Paul Juniors were all over the place in those years.

56LPJr.jpg

Archived