Studio Desks (furniture, not a console...)

• Members

Good Lord these things can get expensive. What are you using? How do you like it? What sort of environment are you using it in (home, pro studio...)?

I'm not looking to buy anything right now, but I will be in a few months so I've been checking out prices. What are some good brands that I might overlook as a home studio guy that's relatively ignorant in this area? Of course I want something with eight million rack spaces, that will hold two 22" widescreen LCD monitors, my ADAM A7 monitors, the Mixcubes, and is only eighteen by twenty-four inches wide, that costs $50 and fixes my lunch for me... OK, that's not all true. The bit about holding the monitors would be nice, although I have monitor stands for the ADAMs. I'd like some rack spaces; then I could move all my patch bays over there. Right now all my rack gear is in a six-foot-tall rack like you find in a computer server room. Convenient to have it all in one spot, but moving the patchbays out to the desk would be even MORE convenient, I think. :)

Anyway. I was just hoping y'all might be able to steer me toward some options. I appreciate any input.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I use a corner computer desk like this but not in the corner. I put it looking straight at the center of the front wall but back from that front wall about 4 feet...

http://www.computerdesks.com/computer-desks/corner-desks/ameriwoodcornerdeskinsilverandblack.cfm

Then my rack goes on the end of the left side continuing the surface area, and my file cab filled with manuals, mics, etc. goes on the left side doing the same. Works great. Looks like it belongs.

Mine is just one of those cheap gray ones from the early 90's that I got for 99 bucks. I may upgrade to something more like what's in the picture.

• Members

I too have looked around for a nice desk for my setup. It seems anything that has the word 'music' in the decription has a 500% markup on it. We are talking $350+ for a single flat wooden desk. It's rediculous.

Examples:

Over $400 dollars just for the center piece

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDVDSK/

Over $400 for this. . are you {censored}ing kidding me!!!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CRNDB/

Again, this desk is something you would find in a grade school from the 80's. . .for $319!!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCD36B/

It is really amusing actually, and sad at the same time.

ATM I use a ~$90 computer desk that I got from staples that fits 2 computer montiors, speakers, and 25 key midi controller, though I'm looking for something with more room in the future, but no way in hell will I pay the prices they are asking for music recording furniture. I'll resort to building it my self before that.

• Members

Yeah, I'm leaning toward going with a good computer desk and just putting the rack next to it myself. I'm going to need a new rack soon, though, as my current rack is pretty much full. I might get a small rack to place on the desk and break out all my patchbays into it, anyway. That would open up a few spaces in my current rack, and it would put all my patchbays in an easy-to-reach location. The downside would be running some patch snakes from the desk rack to the preamps in the free-standing rack. I'm still at the tossing-ideas-around stage, really.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm leaning toward going with a good computer desk and just putting the rack next to it myself. I'm going to need a new rack soon, though, as my current rack is pretty much full. I might get a small rack to place on the desk and break out all my patchbays into it, anyway. That would open up a few spaces in my current rack, and it would put all my patchbays in an easy-to-reach location. The downside would be running some patch snakes from the desk rack to the preamps in the free-standing rack. I'm still at the tossing-ideas-around stage, really.

You know, I've thought several times about how easy it would be to convert an Office Depot style computer desk to that Mastering Desk style where the racks are incorporated into the top surace at an angle? Just get some rackrails and build out boxes at an angle where the bottom of the rack is at table top level and the rear is raised a bit to allow clear view of the racked item's panels.

• Members

I will loose my studio props card for this, I know it... but I have an 8 foot, wooden table with those metal folding legs. cost about $75 if I recall. ALL my stuff fits on it. It's easy to work on, easy to move, creates a horrid bass box underneath I bet. I'd take a picture but it's currently up against the wall while I redecorate :)

Pretty much like this one:

11964172.jpg

and now that I have shared my shame... I may go shopping and try to find something that looks way cooler. I'm the only one I ever record though, and so far, I haven't complained to me about the asthetics

• Members

If I dont rehurse this weekend I'm going to be redoing my setup. I did alot of stuff to get ready ahead of time like running cables on the ceiling and making space so I can dissemble what I have now and not be tripping over it during construction. Basically I need to tripple my space and have been dealing with a crappy particle board computer desk. I got effects units and all stacked up so high I need a step stool to get to the back of them. Im going to be building a worlbench style setup with an L corner for keyboards and have rear shelves. Definately have the keyboard pull out from under the tabletop.

The main tabletop will be fairly low. I want to have my feet flat on the ground when I cozy up so I dont have my legs falling to sleep with a guitar on my knee. I'll do a before and after shot and see what you think.

• Members

My father built this for me for christmas. I love it, I have rack rails installed now on both the left and the right as well.

100_0762.jpg

100_0761.jpg

I'll try to get updated pictures with everything rackmounted (I got rid of the laptop shenanigans) etc...

• Members

Here's a pic of my bedroom studio. You can kinda see the desk in it. I got it for like $200 at Guitar Center. I was gonna get a desk from IKEA but found this one. It has like 8 spaces (4 per side) and is designed for recording so IMO it sounds better. :cool: lol

• Members

My main desk was made by these guys:

http://www.custom-consoles.com/

I've been drooling over their stuff for a couple of days now. :) They do look gorgeous, at least in the online pictures. After seeing a couple of these desks that guys have built, I may consider building myself one. Or, if my woodworking skills turn out not to be up to the challenge, finding a local carpenter and having one built. We'll see!

• Members

Here's a pic of my bedroom studio. You can kinda see the desk in it. I got it for like $200 at Guitar Center. I was gonna get a desk from IKEA but found this one. It has like 8 spaces (4 per side) and is designed for recording so IMO it sounds better.
:cool:
lol

+1000

Have the same one and love it!

PICT0918.jpg

• Members

I use a corner computer desk like this but not in the corner. I put it looking straight at the center of the front wall but back from that front wall about 4 feet...

http://www.computerdesks.com/computer-desks/corner-desks/ameriwoodcornerdeskinsilverandblack.cfm

Then my rack goes on the end of the left side continuing the surface area, and my file cab filled with manuals, mics, etc. goes on the left side doing the same. Works great. Looks like it belongs.

Mine is just one of those cheap gray ones from the early 90's that I got for 99 bucks. I may upgrade to something more like what's in the picture.

VERY NICE!!! :love:

• Members

I guess I should include a picture of my current setup. :D

desk.jpg

Yes, that is a super-high-tech folding card table. ;) It works very well for what I use it for, but I'm hoping I can put together something that looks a little nicer for the new place. After building the new place, I mean.

edit: And please excuse the rat's nest of wires and cables. I know it's awful. I started out with one bit of gear, then got another, then got another, and before I thought about cable management I wound up with this tangled mess. It's all going to get disconnected and re-routed and tied up properly when I move.

• Members

Your excused, you have some sweet rack gear man.
:thu:

Thanks, man. :) I feel like I've put together a pretty decent small collection of gear.

The rack is awesome. :D A guy down the street moved and was going to sell it for scrap, and when I asked about it he told me I could have it if I'd use it. I cleaned it up and painted it, and it's been a great rack. The thing holds a LOT of gear. :)

• Members

I used to be in a band in high school and we scored the same type of rack from cornell university.

My uncle works there and maintains some of the computers in a couple buildings (I think :lol:, actually not 100% on what EXACTLY he does) he got it for us. Of course filling it was out of the question at the time and still somewhat is due to it's enormously huge size. I don't remember the count as far as rack space went but it was quite big, at least 6' tall.

• Members

Standard is 40-44 u's, each u is 1.72 inches. You can find them relatively cheap on CL. I just did a quick search for 'rack' in the computer for sale section of my local ATL craigs list and found them ranging from $60 to $200. We also throw many of them away at my data center. We aren't allowed to take anything off site, even if it's trash, which sucks.

Blue Heaven +2.... anything with the word 'studio' or 'console' is outrageous, staples and office depot have great furniture on the low low if you are willing to put it together yourself with a sober helper and not be bothered by the fact you will end up with a few screws left over.

• Members

Standard is 40-44 u's, each u is 1.72 inches. You can find them relatively cheap on CL. I just did a quick search for 'rack' in the computer for sale section of my local ATL craigs list and found them ranging from $60 to $200. We also throw many of them away at my data center. We aren't allowed to take anything off site, even if it's trash, which sucks.

Well, my only possible complaint about it would be that I wish it had a little more provision for cable management, but some cable ties and a little time will take care of that problem after the move. :) Otherwise this has been a great rack. It's huge, it's relatively easy to get to the back of everything ... it does what I want it to do.

• Members

BTW I bought my plans here for $10.

My desk is made out of birch veneer covered plywood. The whole desk cost around $150 with the rack rails (that I still don't have a picture of :lol:).

I have a 5u space on the right and a 4u space on the left. I also (if I could find one) could put in another 3u space in and might just do so. Maybe I will buy a 4u set of racks and cut them down to fit.

Archived