Studio Desks (furniture, not a console...)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I need something a little more organized.
010.jpg
012.jpg

How are you liking the control serface? Do you have issues with fader 7, because mine doesn't seem to want to be touch sensitive :mad:. :lol:

Anyhow, the real question though is: Why 2 sets of rokits?

• Members

How are you liking the control serface? Do you have issues with fader 7, because mine doesn't seem to want to be touch sensitive
:mad:
:lol:

Anyhow, the real question though is: Why 2 sets of rokits?

With the MCU I have an issue with the record button not, well starting recording. Its probable an safety issue, because I could see accidently pressing it and causing problems. I need to read more on how Tracktion interfaces with it. I fixed three of the faders and acquired 3 more used faders that I need to fix (they are pretty simple, mechanically) so I will have backups. Mackie sells new ones for $40 a piece. Other than that I like it, but I still find myself grabbing the mouse.

As far as the Rokits go, I had a 20% off coupon and got the 5's for $110 a piece. I figured what the heck, at that price. Plus its nice to have more test beds to listen on. I set the Mackie Big Knob up for 3 sets of monitors (my old Behringers are hooked up to), a set of Altec Lansing 3.1 pc speakers and I set up a feed to my Sansui/Polk rig.

• Members

Fader problems are no fun with a control surface. The channel 1 fader on my Command|8 has gotten wonky lately - it doesn't stay where it's supposed to, moves jerkily, and is just basically out of whack. I need to see what it's going to take to fix it. Just too much other stuff to do right now.

• Members

Fader problems are no fun with a control surface. The channel 1 fader on my Command|8 has gotten wonky lately - it doesn't stay where it's supposed to, moves jerkily, and is just basically out of whack. I need to see what it's going to take to fix it. Just too much other stuff to do right now.

Not sure on your type, but the Mackie uses Penny & Giles faders. The knobs are attached to a plastic piece which glides on a solid steel rod (via a hole in the plastic) on one side and sort of a rail on the other. The plastic piece was broke on 3 of mine and were on a bind and would not slide proper or at all. I need to take it apart again and apply some white lithium grease to the rod and rail.

• Members

If you guys want really badass studio desks. Check into auction on place that produce/test/repair and service electronics. Alot of those place have big steel desk with 10-20 space rack mounts, built in power conditioners etc and the desiks are steel !!!. I have seen them for roughly $400-1000 and they are well worth it. Plus most of them are modular in design so you can add and subtract surfaces,storage and cabinets as needed.

• Members

I'm just going to build my own desk. My friend Ace built himself one while building his studio.. I think i'll have him help me.

I used stair steps for the top of my little desk. They are 2 x 12 clear pine and pretty cheap. Got them a Home Depot. Some stain and polyeurothane and your good to go.

• Members

Updated pics:

100_0822.jpg

Got rid of the 3rd monitor, couldn't find a video card to utilize it (I don't have any more 16x PCIe slots).

I have stuff to take care of the cable clutter, it's just a larger job and I'm lazy at the momtent:

100_0827.jpg

Oh and look what I get to use for the next couple weeks:

100_0826.jpg

• Members

My desk plans actually included another small rack enclosure that sits on the top of the bridge in the plans, but I didn't have my dad build it because I don't need it yet. Down the road it wouldn't be to hard to add it later and keep it under the bridge, however seeing that desk with the angled racks, I'm thinking of possibly doing something like that on both sides of mine (just take out some of the table top and create 2 wedges like that or something).

Archived