Studio Desks (furniture, not a console...)

• Members

Josh, not sure if you've seen my setup since I moved out that enormous board and flight case, but this is a desk the parole officer won me at some kinda auction/giveaway thing they had at her work. After the baby I obviously had to reduce some size so this came in handy. But the two layers works out keeping my monitors up there and out of the way. I do get to split it as a homework desk too. Anyways, she said it's some kinda lab desk so I can't help much there but I'd look around used stuff and offices giving stuff away or selling it dirt cheap. This one has cable holes in the back and everything to keep things tidy.

Please note the Mr.Joshua recommended HP4 in the first shot.

28gt2mo.jpg

And please note Space Ace keeping all of my things safe in the second one.

2d01atu.jpg

- bobby

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That looks pretty good, Bobby. :) I haven't been over to your place since you got rid of the mixer, I think.

I spent about six hours over the weekend taking all the cables out of the rack, sorting them, and putting them back in properly. Everything's nicely tied up now and supported to keep the weight off the connections. It looks a lot nicer, too. Any extra length is coiled and velcro-wrapped into place. Definitely an improvement over the rats nest that was there before. I also managed to rearrange all the power cables and the wall warts to open up another couple of outlets.

Of course, all of this was inspired by new gear. :D Did I tell you I got a Chandler Germanium preamp? That's what I used on the lead and main rhythm guitar (on the left side) and the bass DI on the rough mix of the last tune I sent you, with an SM-57 in front of the cab.

• Members
:drool:

:D

It's absolutely brutal on guitar cabs, in a good way. :D I feel like it's very low-end heavy as a bass DI, but I think I'll give it another try without pushing the "Thick" button next time.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures of the neatened-up rack later this evening.

• Members
i bought this when i was in 9th grade at walmart.

i can't believe it's lasted so long....and size wize, it's still perfect!

Wow. I'm actually using that exact computer desk right now. Not in the studio, but for my home office computer. :D That's funny.

• Members

cablecloak.com is a good cable management product and the are coming out with a pro version that attaches to a rack. pretty good product.

Thanks, but I think I've got the cables managed. I just bundled the cables to individual units with velcro and then tie-wrapped everything to the side of the case. I'll upload pictures this evening (now that I finally found my camera cable).

• Members

OK, I said I'd post some pictures, so here we go. :)

The first pic shows the mess of wires that was there from a side-view. The second is a similar view after completely unwiring everything, re-routing all the cables, and tie-wrapping everything in place. It isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than what was there and now all the connections are supported properly. The cables aren't hanging off the connectors, I mean - they're all supported by tie point.

The third picture is just a frontal view of the rack, because I like it. :D It looks much nicer now that everything is neatly labeled and tied up.

Archived