My wife is bringing me a 50's Gibson home tommorrow.....

IKE

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by IKE

I don't know guys, some of you have made me feel like a bag of {censored}. I'm thinking about just giving her back her guitar and forgetting about all of it, I would let her keep the 100 bucks though. It's really not my style of guitar anyway, I play Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, etc.
:(

if you do that, then you really are a bag of {censored}.

don't let these self rightous shmucks try and tell you whats right or wrong.

its your new guitar...KEEP IT!

• Members
Originally posted by IKE

I don't know guys, some of you have made me feel like a bag of {censored}. I'm thinking about just giving her back her guitar and forgetting about all of it, I would let her keep the 100 bucks though. It's really not my style of guitar anyway, I play Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, etc.

Dude, don't feel like {censored}.. take back the $100 and tell her that if she really wants to sell it -- that you'd help her.

quote the Raven "Nevermore!"

• Members

IKE, here's what you do. If you don't want the guitar, you probably can't in good conscience sell it for a huge profit. So do this, it'll make you feel good about yourself, make you a little money, and make an old lady happy.

You give her back the guitar, take back your hundred bucks, and tell her you can't do that. The guitar is worth too much. You offer to help her sell it and get a percentage of the proceeds. You clean it up, set it up, and sell it on ebay, and make the old lady a large pile of money, and a smaller pile for yourself.

• Members
Originally posted by IKE

Not for nothing, but, WTF do you care what a bunch of holier-than-thou people on a message board think?

It's just text. Who cares if some dip{censored} in alabama doesn't agree with the deal?

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan Trevisol

IKE, here's what you do. If you don't want the guitar, you probably can't in good conscience sell it for a huge profit. So do this, it'll make you feel good about yourself, make you a little money, and make an old lady happy.

You give her back the guitar, take back your hundred bucks, and tell her you can't do that. The guitar is worth too much. You offer to help her sell it and get a percentage of the proceeds. You clean it up, set it up, and sell it on ebay, and make the old lady a large pile of money, and a smaller pile for yourself.

That's what I did with the guy that I mentioned tried to sell me the guitar that had been his son's. He ended up giving me more than we had agreed upon becasue I had been straight with him.

• Members

Originally posted by JimAnsell

if you do that, then you really are a bag of {censored}.

don't let these self rightous shmucks try and tell you whats right or wrong.

its your new guitar...KEEP IT!

+1

If you feel that bad about it, just hang on to it. If at some point she flips out and wants it back then you can return it. Keep that {censored}er.

• Members

Congrats on the score. And keep the guitar. You're in the clear. My saxophone for example was bought in the late 70's by my father for about 40 dollars. Even back then it was worth around 700, now its over 2500. But do you think he's sweating it? No. Because a. he didn't know the value (kind f like you didn't know the value of the gretsch) and both people were happy with the deal. You're fine, if you want to give her more money go ahead but your not responsible to do so. She should have checked ebay or a local shop before selling it. Not your fault. And you bought it blind anyway. So enjoy your gretsch.

• Members

This thread was a very entertaining read. :thu:

Personally, my first tendency was to go with the side of the crowd that says to do the right thing and tell her what it's worth, help her sell it, all that stuff. But to be honest, a few people on that side of the issue are such a bunch of self righteous, pretentious, presumptuous judgmental douchebags that I don't really want to be lumped in with them.

None of us know the lady. We don't know her mental state, how sharp she is, what kind of person she is. It's a boneheaded assumption that just because she wanted to sell a guitar she never uses for Christmas money that she's in dire straits. Just because we are intensely, acutely aware of the potential value in vintage instruments doesn't mean that anyone else gives a damn. To her, it very well could have just been taking up space, and she may have thought she'd get a little dough for it and give it to someone who would use it and enjoy it.

So Ike, do what YOU think is the right thing to do. And whatever that may be, it's nobody's business but yours and you would be perfectly justified in telling anyone or everyone here to take their assumptions and their judgements and piss off.

• Members

Originally posted by zodiac71

Not for nothing, but, WTF do you care what a bunch of holier-than-thou people on a message board think?

It's just text. Who cares if some dip{censored} in alabama doesn't agree with the deal?

I would guess that the reason he cares is because he knows it's the right thing to do... If the old lady had said, "My husband bought this awesome guitar that's been sitting in it's case since 1965 - I know you love guitar and I want you to have it - gimme $100 and we'll call it even" - that would be different.

But she didn't - and Ike knows it. So, if dude isn't into the guitar, he can go sell it for a couple of grand and throw the old lady some cash like a decent human being - or what, you're telling me he should feel good about turning a $1900 profit on a senior citizen who doens't know any better? Why don't you go post on the Nigerian Scammer Jam...

• Members

Originally posted by taylor210eman

Congrats on the score. And keep the guitar. You're in the clear. My saxophone for example was bought in the late 70's by my father for about 40 dollars. Even back then it was worth around 700, now its over 2500. But do you think he's sweating it? No. Because a. he didn't know the value (kind f like you didn't know the value of the gretsch) and both people were happy with the deal. You're fine, if you want to give her more money go ahead but your not responsible to do so. She should have checked ebay or a local shop before selling it. Not your fault. And you bought it blind anyway. So enjoy your gretsch.

I think he did know it was worth a bit more. Doesn't matter.

It's his personal endeavor now to handle as he will. We've had our say, for and against. Though I am really shocked at some of the sheer greed and insensitivity I've witnessed here today.

When you or someone you care about gets swindled or taken advantage of. Remember this thread.

• Members

Originally posted by jmf

I would guess that the reason he cares is because he knows it's the right thing to do... If the old lady had said, "My husband bought this awesome guitar that's been sitting in it's case since 1965 - I know you love guitar and I want you to have it - gimme $100 and we'll call it even" - that would be different.

But she didn't - and Ike knows it. So, if dude isn't into the guitar, he can go sell it for a couple of grand and throw the old lady some cash like a decent human being - or what, you're telling me he should feel good about turning a $1900 profit on a senior citizen who doens't know any better? Why don't you go post on the Nigerian Scammer Jam...

I DO agree he should kick down some more money to the old broad after he flips it.

My comment was more directed at the PC'ers saying "I wouldnt even buy it"

• Members

better it end up in the hands of someone who'll enjoy it for a damn good price, than it get quickly whisked away to auction by a estate sales company.
or picked up by one of those assholes who go around to all the garage sales and estate sales buying up everything long before anyone else is even out of bed.

yeah yeah free world, blab blab blab

• Members

While I am by no stretch a highly ethical or virtuous guy (and love a good find/deal!), if this is real, I think you have a great opportunity here to do someone other than yourself a real solid. It'll make you feel tons better than a guitar you won't play or the money you get from it.

I've been following this thread for a while, and here's what I'm gathering and extrapolating out of out this situation:

An " older" (age unknown) woman who works for your wife finds a guitar her Dad gave her a long time ago.

This woman knows your wife enough to know that you are a guitar player and might really be able to put this nice old instrument to use as her Dad had likely intended for her son etc one day. (very nice gesture, no?)

Unless you wife is in upper managment, this sweet woman is probably not making big dough. Typical year end bonues are what 4/5% of salary? So she's probably making ~$50,000 (maybe less maybe more) a year. Her Bonus of $2500 = ~$1,500 in her pocket after taxes.

Out of her good heart, and knowing that she's not going to use the guitar, she offers it up to you for $100, just to make a little spending money on what is more of a good deed act.

However, it's readily apparent this woman has no idea that old guitars are quite collectable and desirable, and thus worth lots of money. She could really probably use this dough, perhaps more than you or your wife.

So - you can take advantage of her ignorance in the face of her kindness - or...... you can return that kindness and take a bit of time to help her generate enough revenue to have a VERY Merry Christmas and quite a nice start to the New Year.

This woman is now able to spread the wealth out to her family (as likely intended by her Father) over the holidays and has a ton of respect for you and your wife. Your wife gets a better worker who will bend over backward.

You lose nothing and gain a ton of good Ju Ju.

It's your call.... but my recommendation is to hook this kind sister up.

• Members

I think that until you sell it, it's really only worth what you paid for it. So out of pocket I wouldn't necessarily give her any more money for it. Plus, she will feel cheated, and a fool.

But when and if you do sell it for $2500+, might be a nice thing to write her a cheque and say thanks and that 'ole guitar turned out to be worth more than either of you knew.

• Members

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

While I am by no stretch a highly ethical or virtuous guy (and love a good find/deal!), if this is real, I think you have a great opportunity here to do someone other than yourself a real solid. It'll make you feel tons better than a guitar you won't play or the money you get from it.

I've been following this thread for a while, and here's what I'm gathering and extrapolating out of out this situation:

An " older" (age unknown) woman who works for your wife finds a guitar her Dad gave her a long time ago.

This woman knows your wife enough to know that you are a guitar player and might really be able to put this nice old instrument to use as her Dad had likely intended for her son etc one day. (very nice gesture, no?)

Unless you wife is in upper managment, this sweet woman is probably not making big dough. Typical year end bonues are what 4/5% of salary? So she's probably making ~$50,000 (maybe less maybe more) a year. Her Bonus of $2500 = ~$1,500 in her pocket after taxes.

Out of her good heart, and knowing that she's not going to use the guitar, she offers it up to you for $100, just to make a little spending money on what is more of a good deed act.

However, it's readily apparent this woman has no idea that old guitars are quite collectable and desirable, and thus worth lots of money. She could really probably use this dough, perhaps more than you or your wife.

So - you can take advantage of her ignorance in the face of her kindness - or...... you can return that kindness and take a bit of time to help her generate enough revenue to have a VERY Merry Christmas and quite a nice start to the New Year.

This woman is now able to spread the wealth out to her family (as likely intended by her Father) over the holidays and has a ton of respect for you and your wife. Your wife gets a better worker who will bend over backward.

You lose nothing and gain a ton of good Ju Ju.

It's your call.... but my recommendation is to hook this kind sister up.

I LIKE this guy! It's great to see that a few of you do have an ethical bone in your body. The rest? Well, they (and they know who they are) can rot for all I care..

IKE, you feel that way because you aren't a piece of pond scum like some of these people. Like I said, I'm all for a good deal, but you gotta balance the good deal you are getting against the raw deal you are giving. In the end, both need to be even or else it WILL come back to you in a very negative way.

Archived