My wife is bringing me a 50's Gibson home tommorrow.....

IKE

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A similar thing happened to me. A friend's uncle's neighbor's grandmother needed an old car towed from her garage and was willing to pay $100. I went and saw a '66 Corvette with seven miles on it. It was a present for her son who was being discharged from the Marines but was killed in Viet Nam the day he was to return to the states. Well long story short. I only charged her fifty and have a mint '66 Vette. There was also a '59 Les Paul, a Van Gogh and an original copy of The Declaration of Independence in the trunk.

• Members

Actually, I wouldn't buy that strat for $100. I'd be honest about it and let the person know what they had. In fact, back in about 1993, a guy I knew told me he had an old guitar from his dad that he wanted to sell. So he brought it to me to clean up and make it look like it was worth buying. Turned out it was a 1969 strat, which was absolutely dripping with mojo. Now, I could have bought it for what he was asking ("a few hundred bucks would be cool, but whatever you can get because I need rent money" is what he wanted for it..) but instead I told him what it was and how valuable it would be to a serious collector. I did that because I'm an honest person and the bad karma that comes from ill-gotten gain is never worth the trouble. Not all of us would make good pawn shop owners (or Ed Romanites..) Don't judge me by what you see in your mirror.

• Members
Originally posted by IKE

This older lady that works for my wife says that she has an old guitar in her closet that she is thinking of selling... She says it is an "electrical guitar, and it has to be plugged into a speaker" She says it has gold knobs...

Electrical, has to be plugged in, gold knobs. Check, check, check. :thu:

1952_Gibson_BR-6_Lap_Steel.jpg

• Members

DAMMIT!!!!!!!

I just got the phone call from my wife with an in-hands description, well it's not all that bad. The lady was reading "Gibson" off of a old pack of strings in the case and I guess assumed the guitar was a Gibson. It is a GRETSCH, my wife says it has a Bigsby on it, hollowbody, set neck, single cutaway. I asked her if it had "Chet Atkins" on it anywhere and she said no. She said the fret markers were at the top of the fingerboard (thumbnails). Might be a Country Club or something. Still cool, although not as cool as I hoped.

• Members
Originally posted by IKE

DAMMIT!!!!!!!

I just got the phone call from my wife with an in-hands description, well it's not all that bad. The lady was reading "Gibson" off of a old pack of strings in the case and I guess assumed the guitar was a Gibson. It is a GRETSCH, my wife says it has a Bigsby on it, hollowbody, set neck, single cutaway. I asked her if it had "Chet Atkins" on it anywhere and she said no. She said the fret markers were at the top of the fingerboard (thumbnails). Might be a Country Club or something. Still cool, although not as cool as I hoped.

Use that to get her down to $75...:rolleyes:

It's still worth $5000-7500, probably... ( a real Gibson lap steel would be lucky to get a grand).

• Members

I don't really mean that I'm mad about it, I just feel that I mislead you guys a bit, I'm finding out info as it forms also. I'm thrilled about the guitar, and yes I'll probably give the lady more money. I have a whole room full of vintage and nice guitars, and not a one came from cheating someone. Although I don't own a Gretsch and don't know much about them, it may make a nice addition.

• Members
Originally posted by IKE

I don't really mean that I'm mad about it, I just feel that I mislead you guys a bit, I'm finding out info as it forms also. I'm thrilled about the guitar, and yes I'll probably give the lady more money. I have a whole room full of vintage and nice guitars, and not a one came from cheating someone. Although I don't own a Gretsch and don't know much about them, it may make a nice addition.

man,
If you dont want it, I'll take it
:)
I think thats actually cooler than finding an old Gibson.

• Members
Originally posted by RaVenCAD

Based on that, how much more do you plan to give her for it?

I don't even know the exact model yet or the specifics on the condition, all I got from my wife is that it's in nice shape. Who knows, I may not like it at all and give it back. The $100 was the initial selling price from the lady, the way I look at it is that the $100 allows me to put it in my hands and make a judgement from there, you never know, this may be a set-up and the lady is testing my morals.

• Members

Originally posted by IKE

Great score!

In this day and age of the internet, ebay, the antiques road show I have a hard time feeling sorry for anybody that doesn't make the slightest effort to find out what something is worth before they sell it.

The old woman is probably thrilled with the $100 bucks. If you're going to keep the axe for your personal collection then who cares what it's worth? If you're gonna sell it to a collector then you should do quite well indeed.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

• Members

Originally posted by IKE

I don't even know the exact model yet or the specifics on the condition, all I got from my wife is that it's in nice shape. Who knows, I may not like it at all and give it back. The $100 was the initial selling price from the lady, the way I look at it is that the $100 allows me to put it in my hands and make a judgement from there, you never know, this may be a set-up and the lady is testing my morals.

gettin` punked?

• Members

I'm impressed you are going to actually make it right for her. To be honest, most people wouldn't even consider making it right, and that's a shame if you ask me. To be even more honest, I'd be happier to get an old Gretsch than a Gibbie unless you just wanted to flip it for a wad of cash. I see it as only getting 4 out of 5 Powerball numbers. Sure, it ain't $200 million, but a couple hundred grand ain't bad..

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

Great score!

In this day and age of the internet, ebay, the antiques road show I have a hard time feeling sorry for anybody that doesn't make the slightest effort to find out what something is worth before they sell it.

The old woman is probably thrilled with the $100 bucks. If you're going to keep the axe for your personal collection then who cares what it's worth? If you're gonna sell it to a collector then you should do quite well indeed.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

+1

It's the seller's responsibility to find out the worth BEFORE putting the item up for sale and setting a price.

If she has had the guitar since the 50's or 60's she's had ample time to take it and have it appraised.

If I was selling a 59 Les Paul and I set an asking price of $200, that's my fault. Whoever buys it at that price would have done nothing wrong or immoral.

Buyers are well educated these days. It's the sellers responsibility to be educated also.

• Members

I guess having seen older people that need money I guess I have to disagree.

I mean this is some old lady who probably doesn't know anything about ebay and is trying to buy Christmas presents. Plus, she seems to TRUST the poster's wife.

I don't think I could abuse the trust this elderly person placed with me if I were in that position.

If she's asking $100.00 for something that is work $5000.00 I guess technicallty it's not wrong to give her the $100 - However, I guess based upon one's morality (which is a personal thing) it's definitly not the 'right' thing to do.

That being said, make sure you put some money aside for a soundpost!

• Members

^ Well don't get all holier than thou on us... :rolleyes:

Like I said, the woman has plenty of resources at her disposal and obviously doesn't care. The public library should be able to give her a clue if nothing else.

If it were me and I was keeping this for my personal collection, I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about scoring it for $100. If I sold it big to a collector, I might kick her back a little something, I might not.

Archived