HOT DEALS Thread: NO SPAM!!

Mazi Bee

• Members

As a side note to the hot deals thread, I believe WWBW is part of GC - but realize that even with MF, their corporate headquarters are in Oregon, where-as Guitar Center's is in California.... so all these businesses are run apart from each other, though they can benefit from buying power, and inventory sharing (MF/M123). Of course the left hand talks to the right hand, and there's a management team that oversees what all companies are doing and coordinates events. But it's possible to have a good experience with one company, and a bad experience with another depending on how they are run, and what their policies are.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
According to Wikipedia on the GC page:

"In February of 2007, Musicians Friend (a Guitar Center subsidiary) purchased the Indiana based company Woodwind & Brasswind (WWBW), including its sister company Music123. Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, and Harmony Central."

http://www.secinfo.com/d12TC3.u17Qq.htm
, an SEC filing by Guitar Center, has the following:

"We completed the acquisition of Woodwind & Brasswind on February 9th, 2007, and accordingly our results for the direct response division include the effects of the acquisition for the entire quarter. Woodwind & Brasswind contributed 92% of the increase in direct response net sales."

Clearly something could have happened in the last year. But that's the last thing I can find, and it seems to confirm that WWBW is part of the GC family.

I suppose I should check things out before running off at the mouth.:eek:

Sorry guys!

• Members

MF Just emailed this out to everyone
It's their latest promotion
Save up to 150 dollars in rebates..
http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-640152-10455999
Get Instant Rebates Worth Up To $150!
Over 1,000 Qualifying Name Brands
For a limited time we'll give you an instant cash credit on more than 20,000 products from over 1,160 name brand manufacturers. The more you buy, the more you save! Your savings on qualifying brands* will be reflected at secure checkout.

Offer valid only on web purchases between 2/12/2008 and 2/26/2008 for participating brands.
Offer not valid on catalog or previous purchases, or with other offers or discounts.
Offer based on merchandise total of participating brands. Maximum saving is $150.
Brand exclusions apply.*
Offer has no cash value and is not valid on gift certificate or extended warranty purchases.

• Members
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Eclipse-II-Flame-Maple-Vintage-Honey-Burst-Electric-Guitar?sku=515957
544621.jpg
ESP Eclipse II Flame Maple Vintage Honey Burst Electric Guitar
About 400 dollars cheaper than it usually is.
Reminds me of my Jimmy Page Edwards... :)
I am going to pass on this one. Not my cup of tea. I want another EJ Strat.. waiting on the Rosewood neck model hopeully this summer.

• Members

So regarding that guitarheaven liquidation sale...

The Fender Molded HSC are 70 ea...down from 80...
The Squier Butterscotch Tele was offered to me at 150 if I bought both HSCs
And a Big Baby Taylor could be had for 350...

Overall I probably could get the same deals from GC...but for those of you not wishing to deal with them...these guys might be a reasonable bet...I just expected better deals considering they're going under...but these were okay!!

• Members
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Eclipse-II-Flame-Maple-Vintage-Honey-Burst-Electric-Guitar?sku=515957

544621.jpg
ESP Eclipse II Flame Maple Vintage Honey Burst Electric Guitar

About 400 dollars cheaper than it usually is.

Reminds me of my Jimmy Page Edwards...
:)
I am going to pass on this one. Not my cup of tea. I want another EJ Strat.. waiting on the Rosewood neck model hopeully this summer.

I posted this on the last page.

• Members

So regarding that guitarheaven liquidation sale...

The Fender Molded HSC are 70 ea...down from 80...

The Squier Butterscotch Tele was offered to me at 150 if I bought both HSCs

And a Big Baby Taylor could be had for 350...

Overall I probably could get the same deals from GC...but for those of you not wishing to deal with them...these guys might be a reasonable bet...I just expected better deals considering they're going under...but these were okay!!

If you can do better at GC, then these prices SUCK, because you're buying from a store that's going out of business. GC, as bad as they can be, will still be there for warranty issues. These guys...once you buy it, it's your problem.

A store going out of business should be able to do better than that...If they were staying in business, and you said you wanted to toss your business their way even though GC could beat their price...that would make good sense. But not if these guys are gonna be gone soon.

• Members

I had those exact thoughts...but was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...small business...NOT GC...

But yes where to go with concerns after the sale? If you're going under is $10-50 off items really liquidating?

I'm hoping they drop prices much further but somehow doubt they will...I imagine they have a very small stock of the brands carried and can afford to drop the prices a little and wait for them to be sold...I doubt there's much impetus to reduce inventory...I could be wrong...

If you can do better at GC, then these prices SUCK, because you're buying from a store that's going out of business. GC, as bad as they can be, will still be there for warranty issues. These guys...once you buy it, it's your problem.

A store going out of business should be able to do better than that...If they were staying in business, and you said you wanted to toss your business their way even though GC could beat their price...that would make good sense. But not if these guys are gonna be gone soon.

• Members

I offered to buy a couple of the pedals for slightly less than the prices listed on their website - in the end, what you'd get at GC, MF, etc with a 10-20% rebate/coupon. One of the pedals was already sold (small inventory indeed), but they did give me a reduced price on the other one. No liquidation-worthy deal here, but they were very knowledgeable and responsive, and I'm confident that the correct item will arrive in good shape - no small thing these days...

• Members

I don't trust the entire "liquidation sale" thing anyway. There's a furniture store in town that has been liquidating since I was born.

A little insight on Guitar Heaven: Mark, founder and owner of Guitar Heaven started the store in the last half of the 80's. He was obsessed with guitars. He was a shredder and was gaga over right hand tapping a'la Jeff Watson. Guitar Heaven grew and he moved a larger location. Business grew more and he moved into two adjacent locations near what was then the most popular shopping mall in the Nashville area.

Being a 'big' store, he attracted lots of musicians. Now think about that for a moment. Your store, crawling with 'musicians', every single day. Grabbing the best guitars, plugging into major league amps playing 'Sweet Child O' Mine'. Really, think about it. How much money do 'musicians' commonly have? It just stopped being a fun, life affirming thing for Mark to do. It became a job.

A couple of years ago Mark and his wife Lisa had a beautiful baby girl, Taylor. Soon Mark wanted to dial it down a notch and focus more on internet sales. He moved from his double location to another town about 30 miles away. He told me himself that he wanted to spend more time with his family.

It's been a while since I talked to Mark, but I'll wager that he is just so burnt out on selling retail musical equipment that he is either washing his hands of it entirely or he is entering some other aspect of the music business that doesn't involve retail sales.

Mark is a good honest man. I believe that he has just been burned too often by musicians trading in equipment with defects not readily detectable, and just plain difficult customers who feel that it's fair game to rudely haggle out loud. Mark wanted out.

• Members

For you guys needing a cheap Les Paul fix (Fretts99, they're not as nice as your CutlassF so don't jump out the window just yet!), Victor Litz Music in Gaithersburg MD has a Presidents Sale with Jay Turser LP's for $99. These are the mid-line JT-200 available in black, tobacco flame top and cherry flame top only. Normally $239 (overpriced). They will honor phone orders between the 15th and 18th and shipping of course is extra. These are pretty nice guitars. The guy I spoke to advised that the black and tobacco have the heft of Les Paul but for some reason the Cherry is much lighter in weight. These are just a notch below an EPI in quality but still pretty nice and for $99 a very good deal.

Just to give you an idea how nice the people at Victor Litz are ... I bought a MIM Strat off them sight unseen and shipped to me a while back (2006 Model blowout). I wanted a maple neck sunburst and they had only one left and were kind enough to inspect before shipping and found chipped finish around the bottom strap peg from the box being dropped. They emailed a pic of the damage and I chose to sub a rosewood neck instead and they knocked another $25 off. Nice people.

• Members

WWBW just email this one out to everyone
----------------------------------------

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=5wyW0tBlE68&offerid=133795.10000308&type=3&subid=0
Mainline 100' Speaker Cable $8.99 While Supplies Last!
(Steals213)Valid between 12-Feb-2008 - 18-Feb-2008

---------------------------
They have been running the mainline sale for awhile.. but thats 100 feet of cable for 8.99!
I don't know why anyone would need that much.
Maybe your neighbor can connect to your amp and stand at his house and play..

Archived